+ Reply to Thread

Cool Thinking about i300 - got ?'s

What's happening:

Saw the i300 on eBay for a great price and thinking of picking one up. It'll be for the Verizon network. I just had some ?'s first -- and though the price is quite low on the phone, I don't wanna waste any time or money. So if you experts wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts I'd be much appreciated.

1.) How easy is it to set up on Verizon -- I know these were reprogrammed for use on Verizon's network. The seller on eBay is a power seller with great feedback and warranties the phone will work on the network -- I just want to make sure it's no more difficult than programming the phone yourself following instructions.

2.) Do you find it a pain that you have to use a stylus?

3.) How is the text messaging features on this phone? I like the features on my current LG (I believe 4400 model) -- but of course it's a pain using the number pad to type messages.

4.) Any known common problems with this model?

5.) Any suggestions?

Well thanks for your time.

Take it EZ.
    Peace.
    Moe

I moved from a $400 Moto V710 (which I sold for a pretty penny on ebay) to this ancient PDA phone. I like it so far.

1. Web access (for me) is free on Verizon's Net in my area. I am able to logon @ 14.4k and browse with the BLAZER browser, view pics & everything. Not bad at all. Even the Sprint bookmark links work (Accuweather's wireless weather for pda's, etc.)

2. I do not get notified when I receive a voicemail.

3. I can't receive SMS text messages, but I can send after i connect to the internet, and use user scm6079's software! http://i500.nopdesign.com --click on the apps page. Yes, it says i330 & i500, but it works great for sending!

4. The signal sometimes drops to zero, and then back to full in strong-signal areas. I have not dropped a call yet, though.

5. Speakerphone works great. Clear & loud.

6. Keep your LG, in case you want to switch back. I have my old LG VX-1, just in case.
    Last edited by SiMpLe; 01-13-2005 at 12:38 PM.

Re: Thinking about i300 - got ?'s

1.) How easy is it to set up on Verizon -- I know these were reprogrammed for use on Verizon's network. The seller on eBay is a power seller with great feedback and warranties the phone will work on the network -- I just want to make sure it's no more difficult than programming the phone yourself following instructions.

THE PHONE IS VERY EASY TO PROGRAM AND SHOULDN'T TAKE LONGER THAN 1 MIN.

2.) Do you find it a pain that you have to use a stylus?

YOU GET USED TO IT OR FOR QUICK TASKS YOU CAN JUST USE YOUR FINGER TIP

3.) How is the text messaging features on this phone? I like the features on my current LG (I believe 4400 model) -- but of course it's a pain using the number pad to type messages.

THE I300 IS ONLY BUILT FOR 1 WAY TEXT MESSAGES. SO YOU CAN RECEIVE THEM BUT CANNOT SEND THEM.

OVERALL A GOOD PDA PHONE CONSIDERING THE PRICE PAID COMPARED TO SOME ON THE MARKET

5.) Any suggestions?

BUY A SCREEN PROTECTOR FOR IT AS THE SCREEN CAN BECOME EASILY SCRATCHED W/O A CASE

Re: Re: Thinking about i300 - got ?'s

Originally posted by futuregsoris
    1.) How easy is it to set up on Verizon --
    I have one of those "reprogrammed" phones and had no problem getting it to make and receive calls on my Verizon account. Enter the phone's NAM on verizonwireless.com, use special codes to tell phone its own number, and it works right away. It was easier than re-assigning my old phone to a different number.

Does anyone know if the phones are really "reprogrammed" specifically for Verizon or does the manual phone number entry with the secret codes just happen to work on the Verizon network?

2.) Do you find it a pain that you have to use a stylus [to dial]?

I have a screen protector, so I use my fingers to dial. Works great. Voice dial usually works on the first try for me.

3.) How is the text messaging features on this phone?. . .

My phone doesn't receive messages or voice mail notifications. Verizon "knows" it's a Samsung but doesn't "know" it's an i300. Could other Verizon users tell me what model Verizon thinks they have? This shows up when you look at your account web-page under verizonwireless.com.

The supplied USB cable (Zukz.com) rarely works. Samsung's serial cradle works great, but not with my laptop -- it has no serial port

---
    Frank

Re: Re: Re: Thinking about i300 - got ?'s

My phone doesn't receive messages or voice mail notifications. Verizon "knows" it's a Samsung but doesn't "know" it's an i300. Could other Verizon users tell me what model Verizon thinks they have? This shows up when you look at your account web-page under verizonwireless.com.

Mine first was an n105 then the next was an n200. You cannot get automated vmail notifcations because the phone has sprint firmware built in that you can never get rid of.

The supplied USB cable (Zukz.com) rarely works. Samsung's serial cradle works great, but not with my laptop -- it has no serial port

My cable works perfect. You just need to install the usb prolific drivers included on the blue disc. It mimics the usb port to a serial port and then you have to select com 3 or 4 on the palm desktop software hotsync manager