+ Reply to Thread

Faulty Battery for i300?

I'm having a weird problem with my I300 phone I bought on eBay and received 2 days ago. It came with a new (probably generic) battery and generic travel and 12V chargers. When I installed the battery for the first time it was fully charged and work great while Sprint activated it. When I came back I plugged it into the travel charger and let it sit overnight. The next day I unhooked it from the charger and the battery read full. I used it limitedly during Thanksgiving day, and by the end of the day the battery was dead. When I plugged it back into the charger, the screen would come on to the menu, but when I tried to start up the phone it would shut down. I left it on charge for an hour, and it had the same problem.
    When I plugged it into the car charger, it would show a full battery and would let me turn on the phone, but even after an hour of charging would shut down if I disconnected it.
    I think the travel charger might be bad, but I know the battery is not charging. Would it be a battery problem, a phone problem, or a user error?

Thanks,
    Al

Administrator
    just some questions:

did you sync this phone up to an old palm profile?

did it come with the cradle? if so, how does it act when in the cradle?

it could be the travel charger is putting out too much current and could have damaged the battery. or it could also be a combination of generic chargers abd a faulty battery... hard to tell at this point.

looking on the back of the battery will tell you if its OEM or not...

the internal battery needs to be charged fully for 24 hours to maintain a good charge. fyi, the internal "cap" charges first then the main battery charges. you may need to let the phone sit for a while..

all else, hard reset and then charge. otherwise, a trip to the sprint doctor is in order.

Nope, this is my first PDA.

It didn't come with a cradle, but I ordered one that should be here on Monday.

Actually, I think that the travel charger might be underpowering it. Thats what the guy I bought it from suggested, and since the phone won't turn on when plugged into that but will power up when plugged into the car charger, I think its just getting too little juice.

I looked, and its generic. It doesnt even give a manufacturer name, just "for Sam i300."

I knew that the internal battery needed to be charged, but I didn't know it took that long to charge and that the phone wouldn't work if it wasn't charged. Since it's going to be cold where I am today, I may have to wait until I get the cradle to charge it for 24 hours. Can I have the phone on in the cradle while it charges?

I've tried the hard reset with no luck, but that may be because the internal battery wasn't charged. I may have to take it to Sprint or send it back to the seller. Thank you very much for your help, its much appreciated!!!

Administrator
    let me clear up my last post..

the phone CANoperate on a low or faulty internal batt. but if you take the main battery off whilst this internal one is not fully charged, it can cause the phone to shut off and not operate properly.

yeah, having a charger that does not deliver the proper current can do what you descrive abd may be the culprit.

i tell ya, i hope you did not pay much for this phone, given all the problems you are having...

so working on the lower amperage charger theory,just sit the phone to the side for a little longer than before and let it charge longer....

Yeah, I'm letting it charge on the car charger now, so it should be getting enough juice. I let it charge for 8 hours today, but still had the same problem.

I gave $85 for it with new battery, car and travel chargers. I may have overpaid, but when my Nokia got water damaged I needed a replacement asap.

Its still charging, so I hope this fixes it.

Administrator
    well when your cradle comes in , then we wil see!

keep us posted...

I may have fixed the problem. The seller emailed and said that, with this type of battery, that the connections on it did not stick out far enough to make contact with the phone. I ended up tearing the battery apart and looping the copper connectors up so they reach. It seems to work right now, and I will keep you posted as to whether this is permanent or not.

Would you happen to know what the phone does when its charging, as far as the battery moving or saying something on the screen?

Administrator
    it says nothing on the screen. i think the battery indicator is animated? its been a few years since i have used my I300 so someone wil correct me on this.

if you install a 3rd party launcer program or battery manager this will give you an idea of whats going on with the battery...

i hope that was the fix. good luck and keep us in the loop...