+ Reply to Thread

Angry Trouble Hotsynching - Help?!

Just got my i300 and so far I love it. However, I can't get it to synch up with my computer. Here's what I have done:

1. Installed the driver for my i300-to-USB data cable
    2. Installed Palm Desktop 4.1.4 (which runs HotSync 4.0.4)
    3. Configured HotSync for COM3 and for max speed of 115200
    4. Checked off the boxes for "Local USB" and "Local Serial"

When I try to sync the i300, the hotsync manager opens up on the computer desktop, with a Status: "Connecting with handheld" and User: is blank. After about 1 minute, HotSync closes and my i300 gives me the problem screen saying that "the connection between handheld and computer could not be established".

Any advice on how I get this working??

Much thanks in advance!!

By the way - I did read the post by Julie below. And I tried to install the PalmConnect SW for use with my cable, but when I tried to install it, the SW said that the driver was incompatible with my cable. Like others posting below, I just got this off eBay from electronics-4u. If anyone has done this and has gottent it to work, can you share what you did to get it working?

Thanks!!

P.S. I LOVE THIS PHONE/PDA !!!

kap
    I have the same problem with my i300 that I recently purchased off ebay. I get the hotsync display but no user name is reflected. My palm desktop is configured with the user name. Did you ever get your i300 syncing? If so, please share your story.

What operating system are you using? If you are using the usb cable that came with the unit off ebay then you NEED to install the usb prolific drivers on the blue disk. These drivers will replicate your usb port into a serial port and then you want to check the local serial option in the hotsync manager. Then you want to configure the com port to be either 3 or 4 depending on your computer.

kap
    Thanks. I had no problem getting the connection between the i300 and my Dell pc established. The problem I have is when I do a hotsync, the connection window that appears on my pc doesn't have a user name. I ditched the cable and acquired the serial cradle and all is working well now.

Thanks for your assistance!

Bill

I have never heard of that one before. So you are saying that when you hit the hotsync button everything ran fine but it didnt ask you for a user name? If you hotsync for the first time it should ask you to enter a user name which you do and then everything should work. Maybe you had compatability issues with the cable and the version desktop software that you were using? But yea using a serial cradle is much easier and it plug and play to get going.

kap
    That is correct. After a short time it would just time out. I did try a few different versions of the Palm desktop software.

Thanks again!

Same problem here. It connects ok but doesn't have a user name. Anybody find a solution for this yet?

Thanks,
    Ptrbilt

Solved the problem last night.

I was switching from a Palm IIIc and thought that I could just leave the Palm Desktop progam on my PC.

To correct the username issue you need to uninstall desktop and then go to the programs file and delete all of the Palm files that remained. This will force the reinstallation to load a completely clean Desktop program. Then the first Hotsynch will prompt you for the username.

This isn't a problem for me because I synch with outlook so I have little information in Palm desktop.

Hope this helps.

Ptrbilt

i bought the i300 from elctronics-4u on ebay and i have the same problem. i am knew to pdas so i dont know what a serial cable is. is it like a usb cable or what?

I bought my i300 from the same person and it works great.

You need to plug in the USB cable to the computer. Then load the USB drivers that came with your phone. On my computer the USB port is com 4. Make sure you select the correct port in the HotSychn Manager Setup. Also select Local Serial AND Local USB. Don't ask why, it just seems to work that way.

Go to Palm Website and download the latest version of palm Desktop Version 4.1.4 This version is more current then what is on the CD that came with the phone.

I hope this helps.

Ptrbilt

i have tried that many many times and i still get the same result. i think the problem has to do with the usb driver software because evertime i plug in the usb cable it makes a different noise compared to when i plug in my ipod and digital camera. i tried downloading the driver software directly from palm.com but i still get the same results. ive tried uninstalling than installing the software like 15 times. ive tried every comm port and nothing works. i email electronics4u twice within the last 2 weeks and he still wont respond. so my last hope is to use a serial cable which i just purchased off ebay although it costs me $20. if anyone else has any other ideas of how to get this hotsync working please let me know.

I found the soloution.

Go to http://tech.prolific.com.tw/visitor/...brw_result.asp to get the updated serial to usb cable driver. In Palm Desktop you will need to pick a user name and the default password on the phone{last four numbers of your phone number}.

Lightbulb

I had the same problem with my i300 everytime that i tried to sync it it would give me the same error message that it was unable to establish a connection with my computer. i tried everything and nothing work untill i added a new serial which i detached from an old comporter that i had and installed it to my comp and used com 2 and it work like a charm maybe that would help.