+ Reply to Thread

wireless network

hey guys, i just bought an i300 off ebay. i haven't even received my phone yet but i was wondering how to join the wireless network that is set up at the shop i work at once i do receive it. thank you

Chuck

Lightbulb more q's....

some more questions i forgot...figured i'd use the same thread to try and save bandwith...ok here goes....

1. if it is possable to connect to the wireless network at work will i still be charged minutes?...i figured i wouldn't have to because i wont have to dial anyone...i am under the influence that the pda should work just like my home computers....i have a wireless network at home also and for instance with my girlfriends laptop she could connect to my network and no charges for her....the same is true for my co-workers and their laptops...i will be the first to try and connect my pda to the network at work and want to know if im gonna have to waste my minutes or spend a million dollars to get it to work....

2. How about Mac compatability....i was going to purchase a kyo 7135 (but got outbid on eaby) and one of the main reasons i wanted that phone was because alot of users say they can link to Mac and windows based computers. i am mainly a Mac guy (currently on my main computer that is a Mac) but have 3 other windows computers on my network in my house so this isn't that big of a deal...the only reason i wish for it to be Mac compatable is because the computer in my room is a Mac and don't really want to leave my phone downstairs on the cradle overnight while it's chargeing, incase i miss a call or the parents get nosey and look through my phone or the program on the computer with all my information.

3. How good is the stylis i know on the 7135 there are alot of complaints about the cheap plastic stylis...i haven't heard anything at all about the i300s stylis. just wondering if i should invest in a new one or fab one up out of some metal rod...i prefere metal just because i know it will break somehow if it isn't....

4. Speaking of breaking....i understand i can't abuse a phone like this much because of the huge screen...but how about the other aspects of the phone is it pretty durable?...im guessing the battery is on the inside right? if not does it stay in well?...i have a lg vx6000 and the battery has to be taped on.

5. The phone i bought is supposedly unlocked for verizon or something like that.....is this even possable?....my provider is verison and i really like the phone...plus it was only 80 bucks...so i picked it up....any kind of tricks i need to know to get it activated under my number?

6. And finally this is my first smart phone...hell this is my first pda also....so what im wondering is do i need a college degree to figure out how to use it? Im hoping that it's pretty user friendly.

im sure i'll think of more eventually and probably have lots when i recieve the phone.

on another note, i've been reading everything i can about this phone here and just wanted to say thanks to everyone that is affiliated with this website and also that the jake is pretty amazing with these things...i never thought about hacking a cell phone......

well thanks guys/gals

Chuck

<insert witty saying here> g4lt's Avatar
    there is no way to get 802.11 connectivity with a sph-i300. However TuSSH, topgun, and palmvpn all work nicely on it, so you can access your computers at work, you just have to use wireless web. Yes, you'll be charged minutes that way though. The i300 comes with a 9-pin RS232 cradle and you can get a USB cable for it via 3rd party vendors, and yes, you can use it on your mac. If I can hook it to my Sun, you can hook it to your Mac . The battery is actually not internal, it locks into the back of the pda, and I've never had mine fall out. the screen is surprisingly durable, so long as you realize it IS glass. The stylus is an Al tube with plastic ends, and the only thing I'm not sure I like is the reset pin's plastic as well, but it serves me fine. The phone is basically a Palm 3-series with an integrated cellphone: no more, no less. it's as easy to use as the palm 3's. there's plenty out on the web about using/abusing your palm3, so you should have no issues
    WW-era Sprint: what do you MEAN I'm out of minutes, I've only talked for ten minutes this month! vision-era Sprint: what do you MEAN I didn't answer, I've been on my PDA all day!

awesome....thanks for the reply

Re: more q's....

Wow a lot of questions but here it goes...

1. if it is possable to connect to the wireless network at work will i still be charged minutes?...i figured i wouldn't have to because i wont have to dial anyone...i am under the influence that the pda should work just like my home computers....i have a wireless network at home also and for instance with my girlfriends laptop she could connect to my network and no charges for her....the same is true for my co-workers and their laptops...i will be the first to try and connect my pda to the network at work and want to know if im gonna have to waste my minutes or spend a million dollars to get it to work....

802.11 will not work with this unit. It will with much much newer Palm devices with SD capabilities but not this unit. Your best bet to surf the web for free on the unit is to hook up your serial cradle and dial into the internet through the serial port.

2. How about Mac compatability....i was going to purchase a kyo 7135 (but got outbid on eaby) and one of the main reasons i wanted that phone was because alot of users say they can link to Mac and windows based computers. i am mainly a Mac guy (currently on my main computer that is a Mac) but have 3 other windows computers on my network in my house so this isn't that big of a deal...the only reason i wish for it to be Mac compatable is because the computer in my room is a Mac and don't really want to leave my phone downstairs on the cradle overnight while it's chargeing, incase i miss a call or the parents get nosey and look through my phone or the program on the computer with all my information.

works flawlessly with any mac version as most Palms do

3. How good is the stylis i know on the 7135 there are alot of complaints about the cheap plastic stylis...i haven't heard anything at all about the i300s stylis. just wondering if i should invest in a new one or fab one up out of some metal rod...i prefere metal just because i know it will break somehow if it isn't....

The i300 stylus is metal so you have nothing to worry about. It is very strong and the tips unscrew nicely to acess the reset tool

4. Speaking of breaking....i understand i can't abuse a phone like this much because of the huge screen...but how about the other aspects of the phone is it pretty durable?...im guessing the battery is on the inside right? if not does it stay in well?...i have a lg vx6000 and the battery has to be taped on.

If you do not drop it too many times you will be fine. The screen is the only soft spot on this unit. There is no protection from it so just be careful and it will be fine. The battery is an external lithium ion that should last a long time.

5. The phone i bought is supposedly unlocked for verizon or something like that.....is this even possable?....my provider is verison and i really like the phone...plus it was only 80 bucks...so i picked it up....any kind of tricks i need to know to get it activated under my number?

Sometimes you get idiot reps who will say that it does not work etc just tell them to upload your esn anyways

6. And finally this is my first smart phone...hell this is my first pda also....so what im wondering is do i need a college degree to figure out how to use it? Im hoping that it's pretty user friendly.

This is probably one of the easiest converge pda units you can come by. Very user friendly with basic palm functions.

If Verizon gives you problems... activate the phone on your own:

1. Login to Verizon at http://www.verizonwireless.com

2. If you don't already have an account create one. You will be asked to create a username, and your password will be sent as an SMS TEXT message to your current active phone.

3. You should be in the MY ACCOUNT Overview screen. Click on "Activate Phone" locate on the right side of the phone picture.

4. On the right-half of the Table, click on "Activate Existing Equipment"

5. Select a "Reason for change" from the drop-down menu.

6. Enter the 11-digit ESN# located on the back of your phone (remove the battery to see it)

7. Turn-off your OLD cell phone. Make sure your new phone is on. (not just the PDA, but the actual phone also)

7. Click on "SUBMIT" and your phone should be working within the next 5-min.

8. Those of you using your phone for the first time, may have to go through the UNLOCK instructions provided with your phone as a final step.

The instructions that came with my SPH-i300 are listed below, and may not work for you.... use at your own risk:

1. Go into the phone mode, by hitting the right-side "phone" button on your phone. You should see your keypad on the screen. Type-in the following sequence:

#907*9#0

2. It will ask you for the lock code, which should be the default:

3. From the drop-down menu, select: "phone#" (by hiting 1 on the keypad)

4. Now enter your entire cellphone number (with area code)

5. Hit "SAVE" and you're done. You may have to hit END also, which will restart your PDA & phone.