+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Samsung SPH I300 in Canada

I got unlocked samsung SPH i300 verizon phone in canada with lock code and supporting software. When i turned phone on it says welcome to telus mobility. When i contacted telus to activate it, they refuse to do so.

Has any one have idea how to make this PDA phone work in canada with which service provider ??

I would appriciate yr comments.

Samir

yeah i have the same phone and recently activated it with Bell. I was told by Telus that it was unethical for they to activate it. Bell said they had an agreement with Sprint. Anyways all they needed was the ESN and to enter my new cell number and their SID. The only problem i have is the phone continuously displays roam. Currently working on that one.

Kaso,
    I'm planning on buying one of those phones from tigerdirect. so you said Bell doesn't have a problem activating it but have you resolved the roam problem and how is the reception of the phone. Hope you can shed some light before I decide to make the purchase.

If you have never had a Palm before, like myself, its worth the $80 that you can buy it for. The reception is great, goes to analog a bit, but i think its just bell's network. The sound is crystal clear and it works extremly well. I love it. I'd highly recommend it. Heres what was changed for me. Bell entered my cell number(well i did it but who cares) and their SID. they recorded my ESN in Decimal. Thats it. I was then activated the next day because I was signing on under a corporate discount. I have not figured out the roamming thing yet but it doesn't matter cuz I am not roaming from Bell but Sprint. not sure if its one of the other numbers in their or in the chipset itself. Occasionally when I try to call it says network busy, All I do is hangup and redial and it works. but I've only had it happen 1x in 2 week period. Are you in Ontario? If so the Bell world in the mall on Fischer-Hallman and Highland in Kitchener will definately activate it for you. I did find the country code for Canada which is 302 (the phone came as 310 one for US amoungst some others) but the problem lies in the MOBILE NETWORK CODE or (MNC) the phones comes as 01 and from what I have found for bell the MNC was 651 I think. I found it by googling. However the phone only lets you put in 2 digits. Anyways at this point I have it set with 302 and 37 which is for another company, but the phone still displays roam. When I do figure it out I will however be posting it. hope this helps. Keep in mind that there is no roaming charge because you are activated with bell and on their network. The phone is just displaying roam.

Thanks for the detailed insight. I live in Toronto Ontario, I'm quite sure that I can find a Bell that would activate it. Like you mentioned for $80 it's a steal, so I'm probably going to order one.
    Thanks again.

Kaso,
    Went to a nearest Bell world and ask if they can activiate, their answer was yes, but they mentioned something about a more expensive rate plan compared to the once you see on their daily ads just becasue it is running on CDMA. Do you know if this is true or do you think they are trying to get a few more bucks from me. Do you or anyone else out there have any insights.

they are full of crap, Bell uses CDMA, just pick a plan that they have and thats it. there is CDMA and GSM(rogers and fido) this phone is a CDMA phone. All they need to do is enter in your phone number,SID into your phone and the ESN into their system. Thats it. Don't let them try that one on ya. Go to a different store and see what they say. Ask them to activate it, make sure you have the unlock code sheet that tigerdirect provides.

Thanks for the direction. I'll try a few more bell world until the response is similar to what you suggested. Thxs again.

Kaso,

I actually got it activiated without any fees
    But here are my problems :
    1) Crackling noise on all incoming or outgoing call (could it be that me unit is defective ?)
    2) The " ESN in decimal "you mentioned previously, would that be the 12 digit numeric or the 8 digit alpha numeric
    3) After entering #907*9#0 and "3"
    here are the settings on the phone right now

IMSI MCC = 302
    IMSI MNC = 37
    CDMA ACCOLA = 4
    CDMA Home SID = Yes
    CDMA fSID = Yes
    CDMA fNID = Yes
    Home SID = 4139
    NID = 0

Any comment is appreciated.

here is my settings right now.

IMSI MCC = 302
    IMSI MNC = 37
    CDMA ACCOLA = 6
    CDMA Home SID = Yes
    CDMA fSID = Yes
    CDMA fNID = Yes
    Home SID = 16420
    NID = 16420

As for the crackling look to see if u are in analog or digital, if analog that probably the problem. Did they enter in the SID into your phone? cuz they did for me and it should be 16420 at least for around here, since u are ini toronto i'd imagine it'd be the same.

the deciaml esn is the loger one, mines 11#'s. doesn't matter if you can make a call then they did that part correct.

The Crackling noise occurs in both scenarios (automatic and analog).

<< Mine>> <<Yours>>

IMSI MCC = 302 302
    IMSI MNC = 37 37
    CDMA ACCOLA = 4 6
    CDMA Home SID = Yes Yes
    CDMA fSID = Yes Yes
    CDMA fNID = Yes Yes
    Home SID = 4139 16420
    NID = 0 16420

It was the Bell guy who put in the Home SID "4139" for me.

1) What is CDMA ACCOLA ?

I guess all the typing didn't show up. I was comparing your settings to mine.

What are your (2) General settings

Here are mine :
    ESN = 8 digit alpha numeric
    CAI Revision = 1
    13K/EVRC/8K
    13K Vocoder
    SCM = 10101010
    Lock code = 4 numeric digits
    Slote mode = Yes
    Slot index = 3

I am interested to see if yours is the same as mine with reference to the continuous crackling noise that I'm getting.

I also find out that my Bell guy didn't quite program my phone as well as yours did. The "Home SID" that I mentioned earlier, I believe he just left it at "4139". Because I found by googling that this SID belongs to Sprint in the US.

yeah those settings above are the same on mine. change the other settings to match mine and see what you get.

Mobile Network Code for Bell

I have found that the Bell's MNC (Mobile Netowrk Code) is 640. Here is the ref.: http://www.cnac.ca/numres/IMSI/IMSI.htm

Then the HNI (Home Netowrk Identity) for Bell is 302640 since MCC=302.

Regards

Ben

thanks for the infor but on the i300 you can only enter in 2 digits for that numer.

2 number MNC code

2 numbers MNC code is for European standard. North American standard is 3 numbers. Can you change this setting somewhere from Euro to NA?

Regards

Ben

I'm not sure, I have tried to change it. funny thing is the phone is for Sprint which is North American. Anyways if anyone else knows how, please post. Nice to have some support for us Canucks

SPH-I300 UNLOCK

HOW CAN I UNLOCK MY SPH-I300. I NEED TO DO THIS TO CHANGE THE SERVICE.

First, I presume it is a verizon phone.
    1) Turn on your phone
    2) Press #907*9#0
    3 unlock code should be defaulted to
    222222 or 000000
    4) Select # 1 on the key pad for the phone # option
    5) Enter the 10 digit phone number by by your cell provider
    6) Save
    7 enter the mobile ID number also known as MSID given to you by your provider - should be the same as #5 from above
    Save
    9) End to restart.

Hope this helps